Proof as to why AFL beats every other sport in the world

You couldn't post that anymore wrong if you tried. Had AFL been invented at the same time as what Soccer was then AFL would be more popular. Without doubt - More exciting to play and watch.

I believe it's time for some cold, hard facts and figures. And behold! It's from an Australian site:

What is the most popular sport in the World? - Other Sports - Sportal Forums

Wiki's take on things:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_most_popular_sport_in_the_world

The simple fact is, AFL is a sideshow that will never reach International status, let alone being the best sport in the World! Also, football requires so much more skill than AFL! Look at the skills that footballers have, the way they can control the ball with their feet, or the power with which they can hit the ball! Anyone can pick up the ball and run with it! Or throw it to someone else! Time to take off the blinkers, you're beginning to look really, really silly now.

Last edited:
Maybe they have bigger grounds. So what?? It's not just the EPL we're talking here anyway. And with Tottenham moving to a bigger ground, Liverpool to follow and others bound to do so as well, that 'statistic' might not hold much water for too much longer. Most EPL games are packed, week in week out.

Edit: And time to put another 'theory' of yours to bed as well:

Football's start date: 1863, AFL's 1897.

There's not really all that much difference after all, is there? Apart from the fact that, within its lifetime, Football has spread over the whole World, including Australia.

There's only a difference of what, forty or fifty years? Hardly the centuries you were thinking of...

Last edited:
Sunderland United - Macheda scores his second goal in 2 games which is the second winner for United.

Chelsea Bolton - 7 goals. Bolton almost came back from 4-0 down with 20 minutes to go

Wigan Arsenal - Arsenal 1-0 down at HT, went on to win 4-1.

And that's just 3 examples in a day. Try telling me it's boring.

Indeed, and this sort of thing happens very often in the Premiership alone. Now factor in the excitement generated by the rest of the World's football and you can see how daft your argument is beginning to look, OP.

Sunderland United - Macheda scores his second goal in 2 games which is the second winner for United.

Chelsea Bolton - 7 goals. Bolton almost came back from 4-0 down with 20 minutes to go

Wigan Arsenal - Arsenal 1-0 down at HT, went on to win 4-1.

And that's just 3 examples in a day. Try telling me it's boring.

A chance in Football is much more interesting than goal in AFL. You just don't need goals to get excitement. Sadly this is how some of the Australian public think but gladly they all don't think like this. Melbourne Victory averages 26k a match in the A-league.

Watch Hawthorn vs North Melbourne, it's on right now. Watch the replay of the 2nd quarter if you can. More entertaining then any soccer game that you'll ever watch.

Non-stop pressure for the entire quarter and both teams going 110% for 30 minutes straight. None of this stop and start rubbish.

This game is just a perfect example of why AFL is better to watch then soccer and this game is better then any of the examples that Will_NA gave. Without doubt.

Should of seen Carlton v.s Essendon last night. That final quarter was great.

I was at the game last night. Bloody amazing, perfect example why AFL seriously shits on soccer.

I don't think soccer fans understand that their game hasnt just been around since the 1800's. Forms of the game have been around since man could walk.

Your all like King_Pieterson. Slag off AFL because boring soccer is 'world wide'. But then he actually watched a game and saw how exciting and free flowing it was.

A country of 20 million people can't spread a game around the world in the 21st century. Although a British Empire influencing so many during the years can.

The last 2 games have been amazing. Carlton v Essendon and Hawthorn v North Melbourne both games have been very entertaining

Its clear AFL clubs dont mean as much to people as football clubs do. Yesterday my team were all but relegated and it is going to have a serious effect on the whole city. Im sure it wouldnt be taken as seriously if the same thing happened to an AFL club in Australia.

That would only have an effect on very few clubs. Actually I can only think of one club that's success and failure has serious effects on its city/town/suburb or wherever they are based. Geelong.

If you think the atmosphere at soccer is better than AFL then you're wrong.

If you had gone to the game last night you'd know that. The intensity and noise of the crowd was amazing. Deafening at times. Also a brilliant game to watch. Why can't you all atleast watch a game. Dan did it and he enjoys it. You can't right off a sport until you've seen a couple of games. Because if you watch one, it may be the odd ugly one that you've watched.

If you have Setanta. Watch the Essendon vs Carlton replay.

Gilly Fan added 3 Minutes and 17 Seconds later...

Its clear AFL clubs dont mean as much to people as football clubs do. Yesterday my team were all but relegated and it is going to have a serious effect on the whole city. Im sure it wouldnt be taken as seriously if the same thing happened to an AFL club in Australia.

Sure there is. The North Melbourne football club nearly had to relocate to the Gold Coast (Brisbane) a couple of seasons ago. But it affected not only their supporters, but all Aussie Rules fans in general. Such that they were helping out by buying a membership or donating, just to keep them in the city.

I love my AFL, probably more than cricket but i still dont think its good enough to be the best sport in the world. Reckon soccer`s better in terms of the actual game.

Users who are viewing this thread