Proof as to why AFL beats every other sport in the world

But your from NSW.....

Anyway, sat down and though I'd watch Man United vs Boro last night. See if it could excite me in ANY way. Well it didn't. After a while i just started channel flicking.

Was the game actually good from a pom/soccer fans point of view?

It was a good performance by Utd, we dominated the game, but it wasn't a match I'd use to advertise the excellence of football. It was the sort of match that, unless you're a Boro/Liverpool, or in my case, Utd fan, I would've switched over and watched the snooker. No-one said that every football match is excellent. ;)

I would type 'AFL Handball Compilation' into YouTube but that's sport in a nutshell, isn't it?

I would type 'AFL Handball Compilation' into YouTube but that's sport in a nutshell, isn't it?

I know its tough for Soccer fans to comprehend that a sport actually requires more physical attributes than just your feet. But keep trying, you'll get there one day.....

I know its tough for Soccer fans to comprehend that a sport actually requires more physical attributes than just your feet. But keep trying, you'll get there one day.....
A fact which makes Aussies calling it 'footy' all the more laughable.

A fact which makes Aussies calling it 'footy' all the more laughable.

Lets see. The primary objective of the game is to kick the ball through the goals, and to pass the ball, you kick it. Seems perfectly reasonable to call it football considering in Association football you THROW the ball in from the sideline, allowed to use your head and chest, and the keeper can use whatever he likes.

We can call it footy, sports like NFL and Rugby also use "football" when the objective of the game has nothing to do with kicking, so have a go at them!

But actually look up the definition of football, you may be surprised at how broadly it can be used.

It was a good performance by Utd, we dominated the game, but it wasn't a match I'd use to advertise the excellence of football. It was the sort of match that, unless you're a Boro/Liverpool, or in my case, Utd fan, I would've switched over and watched the snooker. No-one said that every football match is excellent. ;)

Yeah I only watched it with slim hope that Boro would somehow score 2 or 3 goals lol.

Real Madrid vs Barcelona was great, Reading vs Birmingham was ok, but Birmingham just shut up shop towards the end. Reading probably should have won it though tbh, missed chances in the first half costed them. Liverpool vs Newcastle was great for Liverpool fans! :D

Lets see. The primary objective of the game is to kick the ball through the goals, and to pass the ball, you kick it. Seems perfectly reasonable to call it football considering in Association football you THROW the ball in from the sideline, allowed to use your head and chest, and the keeper can use whatever he likes.

We can call it footy, sports like NFL and Rugby also use "football" when the objective of the game has nothing to do with kicking, so have a go at them!

But actually look up the definition of football, you may be surprised at how broadly it can be used.

But do you not also throw the ball in from the sidelines in AFL? Also, note the way the ball is thrown in football: player's have to use both hands and throw from behind their head. They can't just bowl the ball into play like the keeper can...
It's just like American football: the ball spends most of its time in someone's hands!

Fair enough, but there is no guarantee everyone will think that, like Dean said. I think this thread's a bit stupid, like quite a few members have said, as comparing how one sport is better than another is all down to personal preference. You prefer AFL > Football, I prefer Football > AFL.
Alright I can't guarantee it, but I reckon the majority of people who watched a fair amount of both and had an open mind about both would choose AFL.

aus5892 added 5 Minutes and 51 Seconds later...

But do you not also throw the ball in from the sidelines in AFL? Also, note the way the ball is thrown in football: player's have to use both hands and throw from behind their head. They can't just bowl the ball into play like the keeper can...
It's just like American football: the ball spends most of its time in someone's hands!
The boundary umpires (sort of linesmen) throw the ball back into play when it goes out (unless it was kicked out on the full - then it is kicked in by the other team).

It's true that Aussie Rules does use the hands a lot, but the majority of disposals occur via the foot, and therefore calling it football is the most appropriate name - hence the reason there has never been another name for the sport, unlike Rugby or Gridiron.

It's true that Aussie Rules does use the hands a lot, but the majority of disposals occur via the foot, and therefore calling it football is the most appropriate name - hence the reason there has never been another name for the sport, unlike Rugby or Gridiron.
Aussie rules is another name. It's pretty hard to make that mistake when you've just said it in the same paragraph. :p

Users who are viewing this thread