Proof as to why AFL beats every other sport in the world

SPORT IS SUBJECTIVE.

Jesus. You can't claim that one sport is better than the other. Doing so is purely idiotic. End of discussion.

Aussie rules is another name. It's pretty hard to make that mistake when you've just said it in the same paragraph. :p
No, Aussie Rules is an attachment to the full international name: Australian Rules Football. It's similar to calling the round ball game 'Association Football.' Football is still in the name.

Ben, shut up. It's getting annoying.

You can't win this battle, you just can't. AFL is probably equal with cricket as my favourite sport, but that doesn't mean it's the best sport in the world.

Have you guys heard of that new game 'Handball'?

Basically, all you do carry the ball in your mouth and spit it out into the net hence the name 'Handball'. Don't get it? Not surprised. It originated somewhere in Australia.
Is that supposed to be a joke? Your comparison is a sport where players can only handle the ball in their mouths called handball, versus a sport in which players kick the ball to dispose of it called football.

That's not true. If Ben, Dean and Stevo are willing to admit they're wrong, I'll agree with that.
I'm as right as you are. If you'll admit you're wrong, I'll admit it too.

What's happening is the AFL fans are making random outlandish statements about football, to which us football fans respond and blow their theories apart. They then ignore our victory and continue to post random outlandish statements. Rrsulting in a neverending cycle.
Sorry, but do you really believe you've been responding with valid points? This entire argument is a bit of fun, there is no answer, and you certainly have not thought up points better than ours. Ben is getting you wound up magnificently, but in the end jordox is right, we can argue till the cows come home but there is no answer to which sport is better. There is an answer to which sport is more popular, but not the former.

You still haven't though up a comeback to the statement that Australians are brought up on both AFL and soccer and most still prefer AFL to watch.

You still haven't though up a comeback to the statement that Australians are brought up on both AFL and soccer and most still prefer AFL to watch.

From the few years I was in Australia, I noticed soccer was seen as most as a "poofs sport". If someone played soccer they weren't taken too seriously. This is changing after the 2006 world cup, but not all that much.

From the few years I was in Australia, I noticed soccer was seen as most as a "poofs sport". If someone played soccer they weren't taken too seriously. This is changing after the 2006 world cup, but not all that much.
Couldn't of said it better myself.

aussie_ben91 added 3 Minutes and 31 Seconds later...

Ben, shut up. It's getting annoying.

You can't win this battle, you just can't. AFL is probably equal with cricket as my favourite sport, but that doesn't mean it's the best sport in the world.
Depends how you view 'the best sport in the world', because quite frankly, I'm not the only one speaking on behalf of AFL, so shut up and stop targetting me, kid.

Australia has four football codes, three played at a high professional level and another (soccer) with a professional league which is still in its infancy. The fact is that out of the codes, soccer is the weakest in terms of international results but is the most widely played at junior levels.

I usually say there's no such thing as bad beer. I'll say the same thing about football codes. They all have their different skill sets and levels of physical demand.

Some people have a provincial bias and refuse to consider other codes. To me that's simply blindsiding one's own enjoyment of sport. Its not a quality I'd attribute to a true sports fan.

King Pietersen watched a game of AFL and he was in complete awe of it - I doubt you'd ever see someone feel the same way about Soccer.

Don't exagerate Ben, this is what he actually said:

Just watching AFL atm, and it's very meh. 3rd game Ive seen and the 2nd I've not really enjoyed. The Grand Final was good, but the other 2 games have been abit crap. Would rather watch Match Of The Day!

He used the word "good" not awe. Either stick to the facts of what people said, by proving evidence or don't embellish them. Also I have watched an AFL match and it was good, but I still prefer football. But as more and more people keep saying, it is personal choice to what sport is better.

Also a reminder to everyone to avoid swearing and/or personal attacks

Don't exagerate Ben, this is what he actually said:

He used the word "good" not awe. Either stick to the facts of what people said, by proving evidence or don't embellish them. Also I have watched an AFL match and it was good, but I still prefer football. But as more and more people keep saying, it is personal choice to what sport is better.
I am sticking to the facts. Read this post, I'm not exaggerating anything:

http://www.planetcricket.org/forums/1234259-post103.html

King Pietersen said:
ROFL, the reason I contested you guys hyping it up before is because I'd only seen one little piece of action, and it looked just like Rugby. But I watched the entire Grand Final last night on Setanta and was enthralled by it. I've never sat and watched a sport that i'm new to that intently before. There's never a dull moment, it's constantly end to end stuff, with tackles flying in, blokes getting concussions and coming back on 10 minutes later. If a footballer got a hit in the face like that Geelong bloke he'd have never considered coming back onto the pitch, but that fella had a suspected concussion, had a quick break, did a few stretches and was back on.

I do have to say though, we'd not be able to play it here, the main reason for this being finding a place to play it. None of the cricket grounds would let you play there, and also the grounds aren't anywhere near as big as the MCG, with the AFL pitch being massive. Even Wembley wouldn't fit it in there. Also, I'm sure there'd be health and safety problems with it, especially considering the strictness of the UK government, they only just allow Football, let alone AFL .

But yeh, I'll happily admit i was wrong now that I've actually watched it. If the standard of play is consistent, then I can definitely see myself getting into the sport, it's superb. The Grand Final was one of the most entertaining Finals i've ever seen, quality stuff. AFL is well and truely ftw.
Read the bolded part - That is in awe, wouldn't you say, Highlander? Can't wait to see your reply to this. ;)

If that's not enough proof then read KP's posts on the entire page.

http://www.planetcricket.org/forums...ue-vs-australian-football-league-47157-3.html

Well Dan needs to stop changing his mind :p although I would go by his latest post as that quote is from October 2008. Perhaps he has changed his mind ;)

I don't get it in the slightest. As Jordox said it is SUBJECTIVE. Everyone is different and you need to accept that. You might be blind to the fact that AFL is superb and football is rubbish. That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. The bloke down the road might think AFL is a pile of crap and that football is always going to better. Neither of you are right or wrong, it is called having an opinion and free will.

I don't get it in the slightest. As Jordox said it is SUBJECTIVE. Everyone is different and you need to accept that. You might be blind to the fact that AFL is superb and football is rubbish. That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. The bloke down the road might think AFL is a pile of crap and that football is always going to better. Neither of you are right or wrong, it is called having an opinion and free will.
No one would feel so strongly about Soccer because nothing over the main course of the game is enough to make them feel similar to AFL. The same thing is with cricket, I doubt many people would watch cricket and be in complete awe straight away. It takes time to connect with games like Soccer & Cricket and you have to be brought up with those sort've games to love them but it's not the same with AFL. I like Cricket a hell of allot more then AFL, but AFL is quite easily more addictive.

No one would feel so strongly about Soccer because nothing over the main course of the game is enough to make them feel similar to AFL.

Once again, in your opinion. You're just stating it that because you think it, it must be fact. There will be people just as passionate about football who will choose it over AFL any day of the week.

The same thing is with cricket, I doubt many people would watch cricket and be in complete awe straight away. It takes time to connect with games like Soccer & Cricket

Not soccer, it is very easy to pick up, connect to and watch soccer. Cricket though is pretty complex with all the rules and regulations, which is why it gets a smaller fan base.

Users who are viewing this thread