Proof as to why AFL beats every other sport in the world

Pick up, as mean like and enjoy. It may be easy to understand but Soccer generally isn't exciting or likable at first-sight.

aussie_ben91 added 1 Minutes and 4 Seconds later...

Being from NSW aussie_ben91 I am interested in your opinion on Rugby?
Even more boring then Soccer. I moved to NSW from Victoria when I was 13.

Will be interesting if your still this opinionated at 18 in a pub full of Rugby or Soccer fans :p lol have seen blokes thrown out of pubs in Victoria for saying AFL is weak compared to Rugby... throwing them out saves the fight that is guaranteed to follow comments like that. Not saying you will do that of course

I watched 1 good game, the other 2 have been crap, and I got bored after about 5 minutes. Barcelona-Real Madrid was far more entertaining than that Grand Final as well.

No one would feel so strongly about Soccer because nothing over the main course of the game is enough to make them feel similar to AFL.

Kenyan Arsenal fan hangs himself after Arsenal lose.

That is the most recent example, being 2 days old. Still think no one feels as strongly about soccer as they do to AFL? Seriously dude, you just make up things on the spot to support your argument. You'd be thrown out of court in a heartbeat.

Stop going on about this. Not everyone feels the same about these things. That's a fact. For the hundredth time, sport is completely subjective. All you are doing in posting more and more of this nonsense is making yourself look silly, just like the Englishmen who think the fact that soccer has more fans therefore makes it the best thing since sliced bread.

Why don't we all just watch the sport we enjoy and stop bagging out other people for preferring something different?

Last edited by a moderator:
From the few years I was in Australia, I noticed soccer was seen as most as a "poofs sport". If someone played soccer they weren't taken too seriously. This is changing after the 2006 world cup, but not all that much.
Not really. As I said before, participation rates for soccer are higher than that of both footy and rugby. Perhaps some of the older people still see it as a 'poof' sport but the current generation is definitely being brought up on both.

Also I have watched an AFL match and it was good, but I still prefer football. But as more and more people keep saying, it is personal choice to what sport is better.

Also a reminder to everyone to avoid swearing and/or personal attacks
It takes time to really get over your predispositions and get into a sport though. I used to hate cricket, thought it was the most boring thing ever, and now I love it. I didn't even like footy until I was about 10, and now it's my life.

Well I used to prefer ODI's over test cricket till a couple of years ago. Then I begun to mature as a cricketer and saw the true art to test cricket. Regarding AFL, I am sure if I had ended up staying out permanently in Aus, rather then for the short period of time I was out there, I would have ended up being an AFL fan.

Any Australians heard of Johnny Warren? Some of the more die-hard English soccer fans may know of him, one of the greatest Australian soccer players. Anyway, his book was titled 'Sheilas, Wogs and Poofters.' When he was growing up apparently this were the only people who played the sport :p when I came across his book a few years ago it was the first time I had heard that though. Its certainly not the prejudice in Aus it once was

Well Ben's gonna be hanging himself in a second. He's banned lol. He's making us AFL fans look like fools. I mean stop argueing as soccer is by far more popular and it might be better than AFL or maybe worse. It's your own choice.

Kenyan Arsenal fan hangs himself after Arsenal lose.

That is the most recent example, being 2 days old. Still think no one feels as strongly about soccer as they do to AFL? Seriously dude, you just make up things on the spot to support your argument. You'd be thrown out of court in a heartbeat...

...like the Englishmen who think the fact that soccer has more fans therefore makes it the best thing since sliced bread.

Why don't we all just watch the sport we enjoy and stop bagging out other people for preferring something different?

I think football is great because it's an amazing game! How many other sports could provide such last-minute heartbreak as that experienced by Chelsea Wednesday night? Or the high drama of a penalty shoot-out? Nothing to do with it having more fans.

By the way, I don't have a problem with someone following a different sport. What I do have a problem with is them coming out with nonsense such as AFL is the world's best sport, when the facts and figures clearly show otherwise.

MasterBlaster76 added 10 Minutes and 52 Seconds later...

That's because your arguements and points are so bullish and incorrect that it's laughable. You're not blowing our theories apart, far from it, if anything it's the other way round. You've got no evidence as to why Soccer is an entertaining sport, because there is none. People like it because it's been around longer then other sports and has been past down from generations whilst other sports haven't had the same opportunity.

Oh dear. I know he's banned, but if you're reading, Ben, refer to the post I made about the start dates of the two sports. There's a gap of 50 or so years. And take off the blinkers, engage your brain and you'll see that we are trashing your theories on a daily basis. As Skater said 'ignore evidence and post crap'.

Soccer is more popular, but it's probably also the most overrated sport in the world. It's quite boring to watch (and play) and had other sports from the modern age been devised before Soccer then the chances are that Soccer's popularity would decrease significantly. There is nothing amazing about Soccer that just makes people want to watch it. King Pietersen watched a game of AFL and he was in complete awe of it - I doubt you'd ever see someone feel the same way about Soccer.

You really are dreaming now! People were in awe of the 1970s Brazil team. They were in awe of Diego Maradona's second goal v England. And they were in awe when Beckham scored from the halfway line, when Higuita made that crazy Scorpion kick save at Wembley, and so many other occasions I just can't be bothered to list here!

Another reason why it is overrated is because it's not the number 1 sport in any of the bigger countries in the world, mainly the smaller ones. You can't say that countries like America, China, etc, honestly care about Soccer because if they did then they would DOMINATE Soccer, much like they dominate any other sport they're interested in.

Soccer's a pretty simple game, it's no wonder why the English like it so much. They've always been so slow when it comes to things that are complex.

Riiiiight, China doesn't care about 'soccer'. That's why they go nuts whenever a Premiership team visits them, isn't it? That's why there are growing numbers of Chinese and other Oriental countries players in professional Football.

As for the English being slow on the uptake? Take a look in the mirror mate. It's been proven that AFL and Association Football weren't born that far apart, yet you keep spewing drivel that the only reason people prefer football is because it's soooo much older and has been handed down from generation to generation since the Jurassic age (!)

MasterBlaster76 added 7 Minutes and 22 Seconds later...

Ben, shut up. It's getting annoying.

You can't win this battle, you just can't. AFL is probably equal with cricket as my favourite sport, but that doesn't mean it's the best sport in the world.

It's good to see there are some Aussies around who can talk sense.

Still, you get my point that I doubt anyone would feel strongly after watching their first ever game of Soccer?

That really depends on which game they see first. So are you trying to say that every single game of AFL is awesome? Impossible: that doesn't even happen with Football, so how can it possibly happen with AFL? :p

Pick up, as mean like and enjoy. It may be easy to understand but Soccer generally isn't exciting or likable at first-sight.

aussie_ben91 added 1 Minutes and 4 Seconds later...

What are you smoking now?

Well Ben's gonna be hanging himself in a second. He's banned lol. He's making us AFL fans look like fools. I mean stop argueing as soccer is by far more popular and it might be better than AFL or maybe worse. It's your own choice.

Why did he get banned by the way?

Last edited:
I do agree with most of what you said MasterBlaster76, but don't get carried away :p it is easy to bag him out when he's not here to respond

Infractions adding up. That's all that will be said for the moment

Any clues on the duration of the ban?

Users who are viewing this thread