South Africa in Australia Dec 2008-Jan 2009

If Australia bring back it will be a smart move of them. Katich has been reliable in Test matches lately. And I don't understand White's position if David Hussey is the guy who is doing the part time spinning.

Good news for Australia they can have a better bowling attack then previous matches: they should play with Johnson, Bracken, Tait and Hilfenhaus.

Why do we keep making things difficult for ourselves.To be honest,we didn't deserve to win either of these games.I have no idea whats happened to our fielding,fatigue might be setting in but thats no excuse.Like the Aussies we too have an opening problem,Amla does not look good at the top,and Gibbs hasn't performed as an opener recently,he was better down at 4th.I also feel that we lack an extra big hitter lower down,our lower order is not what it used to be.

As for Van Jaarsveld,give him a break,I predicted that both Steyn and Duminy would become great players well before they were ever on the international scene and I predict that Vaughn will join them one day,Its just a bit harsh to debut him against the aussies.I think that Loots Bosman would have been a better replacement for Smith.

Mckenzie
De Villiers
Kallis
Gibbs
Duminy
Amla
Boucher
A.Morkel
Botha
Morkel/Ntini
Steyn

He wasn't smith's replacement. Vaughn was always in the odi squad,mckenzie replaced smith.

Since Warner has been given a go may as well stick with him to see if he can deliver. I still believe we need an explosive guy at the top, they can take the match away in the first 10 overs. If not Warner then get Michael Dighton in there.

So you dont mind Marsh in the team anymore?

Somehow he's managed to prove himself. He only averages 25 in One Day cricket and 23 in FC cricket this year, that's why I didn't want him in the team. But he's got a few good scores so I'm happy for him to be there now. Plus his straight driving is great to watch.

Feelin Blue? added 0 Minutes and 55 Seconds later...

And I'll tell you what happens as a result. David Hussey starts bowling 10 over spells and going for 60 or 70. Soon enough you're calling for his head because he's losing matches.

Hussey is a good One Day bowler. So is Clarke.

well Johnson back in, so we should win the rest of these matches now. Harris was dropped.

But i really think White should not be in there as a batsmen, he has done nothing to suggest he should. I am sure we have a better batsmen who can bowl then him, North Maybe? McDonald, im sure there is more.

As for Hopes, Im sure we have better options, Voges maybe. But there is no doubt Symonds is our number 6 and Watson our allrounder, but as there injured im sure there are better talents out there other then White and Hopes.

They could use Hopes over White for the batters spot then it means he is our 5th bowler and the bowling is better. One thing we never seem to find is a guy like Morkel, Oram, Cairns and McCullum when he was at 7 that could take apart an attack in the final few overs and win a game from a near on impossible position.

Good to see Warner retained, now hopefully they move Haddin to 4 as his batting skills are wasted trying to slog it from 7. From our 13 I would go:

Warner
Marsh
Ponting
Haddin
D Hussey
M Hussey
Hopes
Johnson
Hauritz/Hilfy
Bracken
Tait

They could use Hopes over White for the batters spot then it means he is our 5th bowler and the bowling is better. One thing we never seem to find is a guy like Morkel, Oram, Cairns and McCullum when he was at 7 that could take apart an attack in the final few overs and win a game from a near on impossible position.

Good to see Warner retained, now hopefully they move Haddin to 4 as his batting skills are wasted trying to slog it from 7. From our 13 I would go:

Warner
Marsh
Ponting
Haddin
D Hussey
M Hussey
Hopes
Johnson
Hauritz/Hilfy
Bracken
Tait

Yep looks perfect to me. Watson will replace Hopes when fit, but trying to fit Symonds and Clarke back into this side wont be easy.

Is Noffke injured? If he is fit surely he should be in our team?

Hasn't played for Queensland in ages but hes not that great in the shorter form of the game. I would have Hopes over him tbh as he is a more effective OD bowler.

aussie1st added 3 Minutes and 13 Seconds later...

Yep looks perfect to me. Watson will replace Hopes when fit, but trying to fit Symonds and Clarke back into this side wont be easy.

Agree, all depends on how Warner goes. If he does perform then good luck to the selectors dropping him. If not then Watson will go back to the top but that is probably assuming he can bowl cause if not I do wonder if the selectors will go for him.

Symonds definitely has to come in probably in for Hopes. David Hussey is the one who will need to put pressure on the selectors to keep him in the side by scoring lots of runs which then leaves the selectors in trouble when getting Clarke back in.

And lastly Lee should walk straight back in so I may finally get my wish of seeing Johnson, Tait and Lee bowling together.

Hussey is a good One Day bowler. So is Clarke.
Only while they're support bowlers. Clarke has only bowled 5 or more overs in 30 innings, that's less than half the innings he has bowled in, while David Hussey averages 8 deliveries per list A match. It's only an advantage to have them when any good overs they bowl are a bonus; if it's not going to be a good day for them, they don't have to bowl 10 overs of crap. It's only when they're counted on to do a job every match that they are exposed.

Just a question, does anyone know why Mike Hussey and Ricky Ponting have gone from the Albion space age helmet, as they used in 2007/08:

RickyPontingspaceage.jpg

Back to the cloth coloured Albion helmets, a style they haven't used for six or seven years:

Rickypontingcloth.jpg

The likes of Simon Katich and Mitchell Johnson still use the space age ones, so is it because they prefer the cloth covered ones? Seems unlikely that they had them for years before deciding they liked their old ones better?

Any information would be appreciated...

Ponting said in his book that the newest helmets were bigger, and so it was hitting his should when he got into his stance.

Users who are viewing this thread