South Africa in Australia Dec 2008-Jan 2009

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Tsotsobe continues to impress me, very nice yorker there something I've never seen Johnson bowl. SA want to swap Tsotsobe for Johnson? We will also give you Cam White :p

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Fell asleep when Punter had just come in, wake up to see they're 3 down but Warners still in :O. He'll get out now that I'm awake and wanting to see some big shots!

King Pietersen added 0 Minutes and 46 Seconds later...

Woops, put the curse on him didn't I :p

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Dan why did you come on, every time you jinx him! That really sucks he was looking so good out there, this was meant to be his day to make a name for himself without the big hits.

WORLD CHAMPIONS

PC Battrick Cup Champion S17
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Dan why did you come on, every time you jinx him! That really sucks he was looking so good out there, this was meant to be his day to make a name for himself without the big hits.

Don't worry we will jinx whole England team :p

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I reckon we need a change in that run out rule. A good hit shouldn't be punished with a run out. The fielder should at least have to throw it at the stumps not just touch it. That way we get rid of the the worst way to get out.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Mike Hussey weakness? Spin! Geez hes starting to look worst than Daryll Cullinan did against Warne. Dussey doesn't look much better, obviously weren't facing good spinners in their backyard ;)

Precambrian

International Cricketer
Tsotsobe continues to impress me, very nice yorker there something I've never seen Johnson bowl. SA want to swap Tsotsobe for Johnson? We will also give you Cam White :p
Lopsy impressed one and all with his pace as well as swing. If he manages to get some control, and avoid bowling to the pads, he can be a force to reckon with.

Clarke, as I stated umpteen times before, is simply not anymore a World Class ODI batsman. He should be given the boot.

Precambrian added 1 Minutes and 44 Seconds later...

Mike Hussey weakness? Spin! Geez hes starting to look worst than Daryll Cullinan did against Warne. Dussey doesn't look much better, obviously weren't facing good spinners in their backyard ;)
Don't agree. Hussey showed he can bat well against spin in the tour of India. However, his vulnerability against the pacers, particularly in the off stump corridor has come back to haunt him.

Precambrian

International Cricketer
you must be kidding , surely
do u know how old he is.
What has age got to do with his batting in ODIs? Alastair Cook is only 24, and he is hardly considered an ODI option. Either due to the pressure or due to selfishness, Clarke wastes too many balls in ODIs these days and does not add to the score significantly.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Don't agree. Hussey showed he can bat well against spin in the tour of India. However, his vulnerability against the pacers, particularly in the off stump corridor has come back to haunt him.

Hes being out to the spinners all ODI series I think, Botha certainly has got him a few times. Harris got him a few in the Test matches. And the Indians spinners got him out on 4 occasions out of 6 inns, 1 time he DNB and the other was a run out of the 8 inns.
Also Botha could have had him again today but the umpire gave him not out, he struggled early against Botha.

Arunava

Club Captain
age is pretty significant in terms of has the player reached his peak or not. and can he still learn and develop.
players generally peak during 29-31yrs in their career.

and how can you decide if he good enough to play ODI's. Are their any eligibility criterias that he doesn't fulfill.
Is strike rate the only criterion to play ODI's. And if England are not playing Cook that is their problem. Cook is a very talented player and should always be in England squad if England want him to develop.

Precambrian

International Cricketer
Clarke is the future leader for Australia, Selectors plans definitely have Clarke within them.
Being future captain is no assurance and should never be of a place in the national team, if performance is not upto the level.

Precambrian added 1 Minutes and 52 Seconds later...

Hes being out to the spinners all ODI series I think, Botha certainly has got him a few times. Harris got him a few in the Test matches. And the Indians spinners got him out on 4 occasions out of 6 inns, 1 time he DNB and the other was a run out of the 8 inns.
Also Botha could have had him again today but the umpire gave him not out, he struggled early against Botha.
I agree with that. However, Hussey has been out of form this series and I think is his first such ODI series in more than a year. Him getting out to spinners has to do more with his batting position and SA bowling two spinners in tandem in the middle overs. Anyway, I won't judge a batsman by his ODI appearances, particularly when he has a sterling test record.

Precambrian added 6 Minutes and 19 Seconds later...

age is pretty significant in terms of has the player reached his peak or not. and can he still learn and develop.
players generally peak during 29-31yrs in their career.

and how can you decide if he good enough to play ODI's. Are their any eligibility criterias that he doesn't fulfill.
Is strike rate the only criterion to play ODI's. And if England are not playing Cook that is their problem. Cook is a very talented player and should always be in England squad if England want him to develop.
Agree with one thing of the post. That players generally peak between 29-31.

Disagree with retaining Clarke in the team at the present form just to "wait" till he turns that age. That would amount to ridiculousness. If he got to be in the team, then he ought to justify that with his form and performances. On the contrary, a newbie like Warner has shown some promise and must be given a fair go before he is discarded as he is completely inexperienced. Clarke has had his 4 years at the top level, so he is not exactly spring chicken.

Here are the stats of Clarke since 1-Jan-2008.

490 runs in 20 ODIs @ 28.82 with a SR of 61. Also note that included in those 20 ODIs are 3 ODIs against Bangladesh. Neither his average nor his SR earns him a place in the ODI team, and he has repeatedly failed for quite some time now.

As to Cook, it should ideally be discussed in a different thread. But since you ask it, my opinion from what I've watched so far, is that Cook is not an ODI batsman. However England's continued paucity of quality openers might require to enlist his services, not because he is ODI-worthy, but just because he is the best available option.

Users who are viewing this thread