South Africa in Australia Dec 2008-Jan 2009

Yeah, Sylvester is right. South Africa had never lost when Smith has scored a century!

3-0 will be sweet for world cricket.

JP gets his maiden 50 in a brilliant win, well played to the Saffers. Absolutely loved every second of it, loved it.

Great win by the Republic of South Africa. They batted extremely well, and beat us fair and square. Poor effort Australia. But at the end of the day, South Africa where just to good. ;):p:noway:mad:

Wow great win:hpraise, shows how poor the Aussie cricket team has become.:D

They need some good bowlers, this is what made them struggle in India as well. maybe Warne can come out of retirement, otherwise i see 3-0 bangladesh series sweep in the future:p

Time to switch loyalties back to India Avro. :p

I am not a bandwagon :mad:

WORLD CHAMPIONS added 2 Minutes and 11 Seconds later...

Wow great win:hpraise, shows how poor the Aussie cricket team has become.:D

They need some good bowlers, this is what made them struggle in India as well. maybe Warne can come out of retirement, otherwise i see 3-0 bangladesh series sweep in the future:p

Don't talk crap :rolleyes:

We are still NO 1. We have great bowlers. Just need to get rid of this Krejza. 1 win and will once again abck in our usual track. Tbh we will win our Boxing day test match.

My full congratulations to the South African cricket team, they just outplayed us. I feel Australia played their best since Boxing Day last year, when we beat India by 327 runs, but South Africa were amazing, the only batsman that failed was McKenzie, with everybody else making handy scores, Smith making a hundred and nearly a fifty, Amla making fifty and 47, Kallis making two half centuries, De Villiers making a hundred and a fifty, and Duminy, well played son, 50 on debut and hitting the winning runs. How good would that have felt? RSA are probably the only team that I don't mind beating us, while it would have been good to win, it was good to see a great test match, so thank you for providing that.

Some criticisms of Australia;
Krejza dropping short, and while the pitch didn't help, didn't get as much turn and wasn't effective.

Siddle, while maintained speed, kept bowling short and wide, corrected that slightly today, but needs to work on that.

Hayden needs to spend some time in the nets with the bowling machine, he looked as if he had wet himself, he looked that uncomfortable.

Johnson needs to work on that inswinger, would have been handy, but otherwise well played son.

Hussey needs to find form, he is no longer Australia's most consistent batsman, a role which has been taken over by Simon Katich and Brad Haddin. Hell, if he continues to fail, which he has
been since the West Indies tour, he could find himself being replaced by his own brother.

To be honest, I don't see why Symonds is in the side, he's played what, 25 tests, with only two centuries? He can't convert, he just seems to hit a century when he's on the verge of being dropped. He can bowl, but he's not in the side to do that, is he? He's in the side to bat. He either needs to learn to convert, or make way for someone like David Hussey, or even Marcus North, who I am surprised hasn't played for Australia yet. He's a bloody consistent batsman and chips in with some handy offies. He'd fit the role nicely.

Stupid shots, like Clarke in the first innings, Symonds x2 and Haddin in the second innings really need to be culled. Was there any need to try to take on Mid-on, or Midwicket, when there was heaps of time, we still had an extra two hours at the end of the last day, as well as extra time for Day 5. Also irresponsible was Haddin, I agree that the adrenaline may have taken over, but wouldn't a single have sufficed? Siddle, as Bill Lawry often said is no bunny, and could easily get a single.

The lack of conversions made by the Aussie batsman is something that stands out, for example, in our first innings, if the four batsman who scored above 40 (Katich, Clarke, Symonds, Haddin) had gone on to make exactly 100 each, there's an extra 152 runs, bringing our first innings total to 527. Now would that have helped or what?

Some compliments for Australia;

Brad Haddin. Other than that dismissal in the second innings, what didn't he do right? He took six catches for the match, and batted responsibly with the tail. Keep it up.

Mitchell Johnson. Wow. Why can't he bowl like that more often? That was a gem of a spell, just...well done son.

The tail-end batting seen by Australia was the greatest I've seen in years. Krejza, Lee, Johnson and Siddle all chipped in very nicely, all together 100 in the first innings, 62 in the second.

The starts were there for some of the Aussie batsman, with 10 scores of 30 or higher, but as I said earlier, we need to convert more often.

The catching was excellent, the only close one was De Villiers going through Lee's arms at mid-on, but that would have been a special take.

Just plain fielding was good too, with alot of runs stopped in the outfield.

The ability to get away from pairs and in some cases, king pairs was good, showed that Hussey and Ponting didn't think about it and just tried to play their natural game. Too bad it didn't really work for either of them.

Also, while it doesn't seem important, the over rate was much better, good captaincy by Ponting in that aspect.

Two things to take away with you;
De Villiers bringing up a match saving hundred in the same way Tendulkar did last week against England.
Australia vs. South Africa matches being VERY entertaining.

Last edited:
What a chase, AB and Smith scored brilliant hundreds and everyone else chipped in.
Australia will be worried about both their top order being so brittle and scoring less than 200 each time and that other than Johnson ( who bowled brilliantly) no one, even Lee got more than one wicket.

Well down South Africa. The only guy who suprised me in this game was Ntini. I thought he'd come good in the next game but to me he looked the leader of the bowling pack. When he bowled the first over i thought Steyn should've done it but fantastic performance from him. Bit dissapointed with Mckenzie but again he's a good player who can hit back.

I thought Krejza bowled quite well. He looked the most dangerous today and he did trouble the batsman without much luck (he wasn't unlucky though). Lee and Siddle held back the bowling attack. I think a swing bowler needs to come in (Bollinger or Hilfy) or someone proven in the ODI arena (coughBrackencough) to come in for Siddle (needs more experience). Lee should be dropped (not forever) for a domestic veteran. Hayden shouldn't be dropped. This is his best ground (MCG) and its not the first time he's been almost dropped either in his career. David Hussey should come in but i just can't see how. Not Watson yet.

Both our batting and bowling were poor, no need to point the finger at either. Without Johnson, we would have been absolutely smashed.

It's time to make changes, and despite the likelihood of it actually happening, I would really like to see Lee replaced. He alwasy struck me as one of those bowlers who gets wickets more from mishits off bad balls than off great balls. His pace was an asset until he slowed down, and there's no doubt he benefited from having McGrath, Gillespie and Warne at the other hand.

The only series I was really impressed by was his performance against India last year in Australia, but since then his form has been nothing short of woeful. I'd like to see someone like Hilfenhaus or even Geeves who is more of a strike bowler in the Lee mould given a go. Other option is Bollinger, who took 6 wickets today against SA.

My other change is obviously Hayden out, we could give him one more test but can we really afford to have him, Ponting and Hussey all out of form? No, not for a moment longer. The choices for his replacement are Rogers, Klinger and Hughes, and I'd probably go with Rogers on long term form.

Abe moves up the list, now he is officially my 1st fav.

MacLovin added 2 Minutes and 18 Seconds later...

and one think i kept on imagine that Warne would take the bowl and turn the game around like he used to before. OZ really dont have any one like that any more. Crazy needs little more time

Well Australia have to win don't they. The guys performing are:
Katich, Clarke, Haddin, Johnson

The guys doing enough to stay in the side BUT NOT EFFECTIVE:
Symonds, Krejza, Ponting

Guys out of form/not contirbuting:
Hussey, Hayden, Siddle, Lee

The guys highlighted should be in the team- Hussey has just underperformed in the last two tests- we forget his contributions in India. Personally:
Katich
Hayden- if he doesn't perform in Melbourne then its the boot and in comes Rogers
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Watson (as much as i dislike him he's performing)
Haddin
Johnson
Krejza
Bracken
Bollinger

Users who are viewing this thread