South Africa in Australia Dec 2008-Jan 2009

Clarke had to stop batting during a Kallis over to ponder the debate about pink balls vs the red ones.

angryangy added 3 Minutes and 44 Seconds later...

Haddin misreads the glory ball.

Our batters poor series continues, good starts even looking good but then they get out. Now is the time to stop the all rounder search and put a proper batter at 6.

Probably wouldn't hurt to have some more batsmen up the order. The way Clarke's going I wouldn't be surprised to see a promotion.

Oh so lucky Clarke, oh so lucky.

Man I love watching MJ bat. :D

Credit to Australia. Even when wickets fall at regular intervals, they allways manage to get in the region of 300.

While South Africa's batsmen have been wonderful this year, I still feel that they are able to get the odd 150 all out, which has been a rarity in Australia's years of dominance.

PS. How about this for an evenly poised game?

Australia vs South Africa (stanjames)

Price
Australia 2.75
Draw 2.75
South Africa 2.75

Last edited:
He's sucking all the luck out of the team, but I guess the distinction must be made that he's getting dropped in front of square, rather than behind.

Johnson also looking good, perhaps a little too good for the wives of the Channel Nine commentary team...

Australia always manage to crawl to at least 300.

South Africa still killing it.

The money might be a little weighted by home fans with a bit of faith, but the numbers can't be too far off after today's play. South Africa came away with 6 wickets, but they fought for each one and no one bowler dominated proceedings. 400 is not yet beyond Australia, especially if Clarke, who played with unparalleled finesse, carries on tomorrow and even moreso if the overcast gloom leaves.

However, South Africa will be more than pleased having lost the toss and being asked to bowl on a belter of a pitch. It should be pointed out that there is a bit more interest in this sort of belter than the one at Perth and the overcast conditions do aid bowling, but too many batsmen failed to make their starts count. Hayden battled through a session, but while he looked capable initially, he was eventually engaged in a conflict with his own off-side shots. Hussey wasn't too far behind and although his cover drive was in good touch, he appears to be struggling more with the straight balls. However, looks can be deceiving. Katich looked unstoppable until he pushed at a length ball from Kallis. Haddin was convincing on the offensive to Harris, but Steyn gave him a beauty to end his charge yet again done in the 30s and a degree of ruination for Australia's last session.

I'm really happy to see Clarke stepping up again. I've been begging to go to tomorrows play so I can watch Clarke but I've constantly been turned down. :(

Clarke is very lucky to still be batting.

Amla dropped an absolute sitter at midwicket.

Yeh it was poor fielding, but I don't mind. Everyone innings need a pinch of luck. I really hope Clarke can get his maiden ton at the SCG.

Thank God Clarke survived to stumps, once again our total will depend on how long Clarke stays around as this tail certainly can stay there with him. Johnson and Hauritz the more solid bets with Siddle handy, Bollinger I hear is a Clark type tailender.

Picking McDonald seems like a waste of time, he will never be test standard, his batting is mediocre and his bowling record is inflated from playing most of his cricket record on the green green grass of the MCG.

I feel sorry for him, they really should have picked a number 6 batsman instead.

If he takes a wicket I will be very surprised, the best he can hope for now is too score 25 in the second innings so he ends his career with a test batting average of 20 and avoids looking like a total failure.

Maybe his bowling will be useful in England if Watson and Symonds are unable to bowl their seamers during the ashes, but he is medium pace at best and the English batsman are brought up on a diet of bog standard trundlers and should feast upon his humble offerings (if they are priveliged enough to face him).

Bollinger on the other hand impresses me, he swings the ball at good pace and should do well in South Africa and England, and judging by what I have seen and heard of him he has a good attitude and a strong enough personality to not be overawed by international cricket.

I know Hilfenhaus has a good first class record and swings the ball, but I am not impressed by his bowling action at all, he looks like a slighty taller and classier version of the wayward slinging outswinging abomination that is Kabir Ali (well, nowhere near that bad, but no one is).

Users who are viewing this thread