South Africa in Australia Dec 2008-Jan 2009

South African to win. I called it.

Aussie for the win then :p
Definitely a risky one, has given SA a real good chance to pull of another miracle. This is a good test for Johnson and Siddle to prove themselves with a win on the line.

Now there is a surprise SA promoted Morkel.

IMO this might just be Ponting's make-or-break moment as captain. If the Saffers knock this down then I think his spot at the helm will be re-examined. He's made a brave move by declaring, but it would look like a stupid one if South Africa repeat their feats from the first two tests here.

I think one of the reasons the pitch looked more dangerous for Australia is the bowling combination. A lot of South Africa's bowlers haven't been able to bowl at the cracks, because both cracks would take the ball wide of the batsman. Morkel and Steyn bowled steady to left handers from the end where the crack was outside off stump, but at the other end, that crack was not in the same line. Left armers, however, mean that they could bowl at it with right/left combinations for a long time.

Another factor is that almost all of these batsmen have had a life. Imagine the difference if Hayden was given out lbw for 8 and if Kallis had been better positioned to take Clarke's snick. What if Ponting had chopped on for 0 instead of 53? If these things had happened, we wouldn't be saying "oh, Aussies were unlucky" or "they batted badly on a good deck".

376 is 4 runs short of what I expected, but right on the money all the same. I think it's a challenging declaration if they bowl well, at least as well as they did in the 2nd innings. They can bowl better, or perhaps, with greater success. We know it's not beyond South Africa to chase, but what would an extra 40 runs have achieved? Perhaps South Africa could chase far more than 414.

However, there is now a lot of pressure on South Africa. Ponting has given himself plenty of time to bowl them out and they only need 9 wickets. If they can't bowl successfully on this wicket, it is not the fault of the declaration.

Oh okay, Morkel is the opener. They're mocking us.

Siddle swinging the first two now that is what I'm talking about. Seems to have lost it with his last 4 balls. Lets see if Bollinger can get this as he should be able to if Siddle can do it.

No swing for Bollinger but finally gets Morkel :) Don't know what SA were thinking there, should have tried another opener as McKenzie looks like he'll be dropped soon enough.

Aussie for the win then :p
Definitely a risky one, has given SA a real good chance to pull of another miracle. This is a good test for Johnson and Siddle to prove themselves with a win on the line.

Now there is a surprise SA promoted Morkel.

Lol, I changed it now. I had it as 'South African victory. I called it' before.

Australia do have a huge advantage in that they only have to take 9 wickets.

Why would you open with Morkel. DeVilliers has opened before quite a lot at test level. He should have done it, if not Amla who has ended up doing it now anyhow.

Damn, Haddin has dropped Amla :( i just hope it will not be a costly one :upray

Haddin drops another, we really need to be taking those ones since we no longer have Warne and McGrath. Good leg cutter by Siddle.

Harsh calling that a drop. I don't think many keepers had a chance at catching that. Possibly McCullum.

or Prasanna.

could have really opened with AB or Duminy both would have done a fine job.

maybe for a few moments they forgot which Morkel brother is playing in the test team.

IMO this might just be Ponting's make-or-break moment as captain. If the Saffers knock this down then I think his spot at the helm will be re-examined. He's made a brave move by declaring, but it would look like a stupid one if South Africa repeat their feats from the first two tests here.

The problem is if we drop Punter from the helm he'll probably quit cricket. And that is where our problem lies cause we can't afford to lose him as captain.

aussie1st added 3 Minutes and 42 Seconds later...

Harsh calling that a drop. I don't think many keepers had a chance at catching that. Possibly McCullum.

It was more his positioning for that, he was too high and his leg was pushing upwards rather than sideways as the commentators mentioned. I suspect a number of keepers would have been in a better position to take the catch. From the position he ended up in it was a tough catch to get but that's why the good catchers make catches look easily, they get into the right position and make hard catches look easy.

Users who are viewing this thread