South Africa in England

irottev

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Damn, that's mean. Strauss was the star with the bat in the first NZ series. It's being a bit harsh to just drop him now. He at least deserves another series. Plus isn't he like, a better player overseas?

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
The star against a pretty weak NZ bowling attack, but as soon as conditions get difficult and the bowlers start bowling fast, swinging the ball, bowling differnet angles, getting bounce he goes back to his old ways and gets out very cheaply time and time again. I just think it's time to move on. His successor won't be any of the candidates we've mentioned though, it'll just be a straight swap for Michael Vaughan. If I had money I'd bet on it. :p

Stephen Bailey

Executive member
Profile Flag
England
I've always been a fan of Strauss since he came into the England side, but he has a massive weakness against left armers or bowlers who come round the wicket. It was first highlighted back in 2004 against New Zealand, but yet no one seemed to pick up on it for whatever reason until the last year or so.

Sureshot

Executive member
Damn, that's mean. Strauss was the star with the bat in the first NZ series. It's being a bit harsh to just drop him now. He at least deserves another series. Plus isn't he like, a better player overseas?

Wasn't it just the one innings? I know it was very important.

He is a weak point in our batting line-up. He just has too many weaknesses. The one Stevie has addressed, he seems to get out a lot playing back-foot straight drives too, snicking them. Not that good a player of spin, either.

nikhil_99

International Coach
Are England really the second-best one-day team in the world? It's a preposterous notion, and yet, by the time Kevin Pietersen's men go to bed in the early hours of Thursday morning, it could well be an officially-recognised fact.

Having begun the series in sixth place in the ICC rankings, England have already climbed to No. 3, and one more win will enable them to displace South Africa at No. 2 - and their unbridled dominance in the first four matches of the NatWest Series means that that prospect is very much on the cards.

They need to win last match for that,and a White Wash for SA.

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
England are clearly not the second best team in the world even if they wrap up the series 5-0 but this meteoric rise isn't the result of one brilliant series.

Sureshot

Executive member
I don't think we are the 2nd best team in the world. Though I think at this very time, this ODI side could beat anybody, barring maybe Sri Lanka with their spin twins!

But I do think that the rise up to 3rd, potentially 2nd, shows that people always over-react as to how bad an ODI side we are/were. If we were that bad, we wouldn't have risen like we have, we'd be around West Indies level. People often forget that we beat India at home last summer and beat Sri Lanka in the winter in ODIs.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Cardiff, but, on Sky Sports News before it showed the pitch with huge puddles of water on the top.

93853.jpg

I see no puddles?

.Mob

International Coach
Dang, it looks like the apocalypse in the background.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I don't think we are the 2nd best team in the world. Though I think at this very time, this ODI side could beat anybody, barring maybe Sri Lanka with their spin twins!

But I do think that the rise up to 3rd, potentially 2nd, shows that people always over-react as to how bad an ODI side we are/were. If we were that bad, we wouldn't have risen like we have, we'd be around West Indies level. People often forget that we beat India at home last summer and beat Sri Lanka in the winter in ODIs.

I agree, it's ridiculous that you can rise from 7/9 to 2/9 based on one series.

Valaskjalf

Club Captain
I dont think England is the 2nd best team in the world...thats a bit far fetched. It doesnt take one big series win to move up to second, thats rediculous. SA have played good ODI cricket since the World Cup ended, winning most of their matches and series and even beating the Aussies' record for most straight wins. I think to take all that away just because we've had the most dreadful series ever is a bit harsh. I think it would be a bit unfair for England to just jump into 2nd place without being in form for a long time - we had to play exceptional cricket for quite some time to be the deserved no2 side in the world.

Dont know whats going on with us though....dont understand how we can be pummeled the way we have been, especially against England (no offence). England have a stronger side than in recent years, but this series should have been ours. Perhaps not a whitewash at all but we should have won the series....theres no excuses for our poor play. I just wish I knew what was going on and wish someone could give some answers. We've been outplayed by the 6th ranked team in the world and its unfathomable to me really - especially since they came off a drubbing against New Zealand, who we slaughtred back home only a few moths ago.

Any other Saffers on here to comment on this?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread