South Africa in England

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
I've watched him bat quite a few times, in the test matches he played and in the recent ODi's he played. What's your point there ? It doesn't matter how you get the runs it's the getting them that's important, and Prior's scoring runs, and at a better strike rate than Bopara and Shah aswell. I've not seen him bat in the CC, but you cannot argue with the stats, all the stats are in Prior's favour.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Well surely part of selecting a player is looking at his technique and judging how you think he will do against world class bowlers, I think it does matter how you get the runs because you will get found out in test cricket.

If you wanna talk averages, Prior got 1 today in the CCh, now that's hurt his average. He's actually behind Ambrose and Reid now. So are we gonna pick Reid then because I for one look forward to watching someone bat through the gaps between my fingers as they cover my eyes again.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
So Owais Shah doesn't get a mention? If anyone should replace Colly, it's Shah. It's high time he got a chance.

Mention? I just asked if Prior was in contention.

manee added 1 Minutes and 41 Seconds later...

Well surely part of selecting a player is looking at his technique and judging how you think he will do against world class bowlers, I think it does matter how you get the runs because you will get found out in test cricket.

If you wanna talk averages, Prior got 1 today in the CCh, now that's hurt his average. He's actually behind Ambrose and Reid now. So are we gonna pick Reid then because I for one look forward to watching someone bat through the gaps between my fingers as they cover my eyes again.
Prior is proven against good Test teams, which counts for more than technique, imo.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member

But you're talking like Prior's never played test cricket before, he has over 500 test runs at 40 a piece, with a hundred. Surely his brilliant CCh performances and previous test performances should put him up there ? I definitely wouldn't be tipping him so highly if he hadn't scored those test runs.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
Priors batting means nothing to me, Ambrose has kept really well in the last few matches, I've had enough of seeing bowlers chances go down so Ambrose plays.

As a batsmen, maybe but for me Ravis ahead, anyone whos been batting like he has and then hits 200 in a OD game automatically becomes next in line. Shah too. What people forget is Shah and Bopara scored runs for fun last year as well.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Priors batting means nothing to me, Ambrose has kept really well in the last few matches, I've had enough of seeing bowlers chances go down so Ambrose plays.

If he is to play as a batsman, then Prior's batting is quite important!

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
That was my point on whether he plays as a keeper which was why I said as a batsmen underneath that comment.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
It wasn't exclusive to you rather a general observation.
I'd thought I'd done a pretty good job of not mentioning anyone ;)

My real point is I wouldn't pick a player based solely on form, or stats, or for that matter ability. A player needs to excite me too, I need to enjoy watching him play or at least appreciate him. I'm not saying Prior is a bad batsman (infact I said he was a decent batsmen) but for me he just doesn't do anything for me, so I wouldn't pick him. Of course you can't ignore form or stats completely either but its dangerous to pick/drop players on form. Before the NZ series everyone here wanted to drop Strauss because of his poor form, he played himself out of it and was man of the series and everyone is singing his praises. There are just other batsman who posses that something special for me.

Sureshot

Executive member
I'd give Prior longer at Sussex (I'm happy with that ;)), I think Ambrose has done a good job with the gloves, his batting has been decent, not really tested too much though.

Yes, Prior has done brilliantly with the bat. But that was never in question, his keeping has been in question. In 2 months it hasn't miraculously solved itself. It needs work, there is no reason to replace Ambrose. As much as I'd love to see our keeper in the England side, he isn't really needed. Ambrose has done a very good job imo.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Steyn in England will be great to watch. England will need to settle their middle order issues if they are to put up a fight against Steyn, Ntini, Nel and Morkel.

Sureshot

Executive member
I don't think it will do much for the seamers. Oval and Lord's will be batting dreams, Headingley can be, depending on the weather. I'm hedging my bets on Edgbaston being the main result match though.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
yea but at the moment i still give South Africa the edge in both batting and bowling. Only advantage England have is Monty and he will probably be the key for England. It will be interesting to see who gets left out if SAF decide to play Harris.

Is smith going to be fit for all the matches??

Arunava

Club Captain
Eagerly waiting for this series to begin :D The only threat I see for South Africa is Monty. . this guy is in serious form and very good too. Though South Africans have played Spin Recently, but they have to take Monty very seriously. .and I hope they'll do that. Another eye will be on Kevin Peiterson, hope RSA can get rid of him early.

Sureshot

Executive member
yea but at the moment i still give South Africa the edge in both batting and bowling. Only advantage England have is Monty and he will probably be the key for England. It will be interesting to see who gets left out if SAF decide to play Harris.

Is smith going to be fit for all the matches??

He is supposed to be, I think he might miss the Somerset tour opener though. I fully agree about Monty being the key for us. I'd go so far as saying our success depends on him.

Users who are viewing this thread