South Africa in England

Sureshot

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
William, i like the cut of your jib Sonny. :hpraise

I'd love to see England take a wild punt and Pick Flintoff, Jones, Harmison and Panesar. Tough on Siddy i know, but theres no doubt that these guys are our best international bowlers. :cool:

Harmison?

He's had too many chances in the last 12 months, performed once or twice. We can't carry a bowler vs RSA and we especially can't drop Sidebottom, for Harmison!

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Flintoff, Jones, Sidebottom, and Panesar is the best bowling attack we can put out. If Freddie can find some batting form before the series then we could possibly drop Collingwood whos been in desperately poor test form, and have Freddie at 6 and then have an attack of Flintoff, Broad, Jones, Sidebottom and Panesar. That's up there with any bowling attack in the world, if we could put that bowling attack out, and still rely on Freddie at 6 then I think we'd beat any team in the world, I don't think there is a better balanced bowling attack in the world, if all 5 of them are on top form anyway.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Sorry, Broad is not a part of the best Test bowling anything! He has played in England and New Zealand, repeatadly against New Zealand and still, his Test average is over 40 (40.62).

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
I wouldn't normally have suggested Harmison, but Siddy seems to be carrying a slight back injury. If he is fully recovered then he would be a better choice over harmy. Siddy has looked off the pace for the last few games.

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
What's wrong with Kallis? Retired hurt on 160 and hasn't batted in the second innings so far?

Seems like Old Man Caddick got him with a short one.

Last edited:

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Hit on the elbow. There is bruising but no fracture. Physio is confident he will make the game at Uxbridge.

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
Sorry, Broad is not a part of the best Test bowling anything! He has played in England and New Zealand, repeatadly against New Zealand and still, his Test average is over 40 (40.62).

He's still a young man. There is no doubt about his bowling ability and I'm sure when he will learn and get stronger to gain a bit of extra pace. England need to stick with him because he does have all the goods for an all rounder, and I think it will be worth it.

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
We need pace. Simple. Harmison could provide that. We need to take gambles such as these. Plus, I'm much more concerened about Jones' return than Freddie's since Jones is bowling closer to full throttle.

PS Gas is a legend

manee

Chairman of Selectors
We need pace. Simple. Harmison could provide that.

Why do you need pace? English wickets assist accurate seam bowling, it is not as if these games are being played in South Africa. Moreover, when was the last time Harmison bowled quickly? The fact is that Anderson is the quickest Test bowler in England in terms of average pace throughout a game.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
At first I thought you lot where on about giving Geraint Jones a recall then...

Simon Jones should play to be honest. Just look at the form he's in! And Fredward's still our best bowler so he plays no matter what his batting is like. I also still maintain that we will beat South Africa in this Test series.

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
Actually, Mahmood is the quickest. And Harmison favours English conditions mainly because he isn't suffering from home-sickness. If he can bowl quickly for Durham, he can bowl quickly for England.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
The fact is that Anderson is the quickest Test bowler in England in terms of average pace throughout a game.

Whilst I do agree with the rest of your post, i'd say Saj is faster. He's been rapid this season. Don't want him to be recalled though. Not yet anyway.

evertonfan added 0 Minutes and 46 Seconds later...

My word William, me and you speak an alarming amount of sense.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Actually, Mahmood is the quickest.
Not in Test matches over an entire innings. Mahmood drops into the 130kph area more often than Anderson. And since when was Mahmood a Test bowler?

And Harmison favours English conditions mainly because he isn't suffering from home-sickness. If he can bowl quickly for Durham, he can bowl quickly for England.

Not taking many wickets for Durham though, is he?

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
Gotta balance it out somewhere, Matthew.

Users who are viewing this thread