South Africa in England

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
And since when was Mahmood a Test bowler?

Since he played 8 Tests.

Believe me, Saj is faster. He's been bowling around 80% of his deliveries in the 90s this season i'd say. Anderson occasionally brushes 90-91 or 92 at a an absolute push, but he's no Saj in terms of pace.

evertonfan added 0 Minutes and 47 Seconds later...

In T20, completely different ball game in terms of pace.

Note I said this season. Not just this T20 season. I know my Lancashire bowlers.

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
Not in Test matches over an entire innings. Mahmood drops into the 130kph area more often than Anderson. And since when was Mahmood a Test bowler?

Not taking many wickets for Durham though, is he?

Last season, he took wickets for Durham but none for England so the correlation isn't always there. He could take a bagful if given another chance.

And does playing Test cricket not qualify you as a Test cricketer? If you meant the best bowler in the currently line-up, then say it.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Since he played 8 Tests.

Hmmm

Believe me, Saj is faster. He's been bowling around 80% of his deliveries in the 90s this season i'd say. Anderson occasionally brushes 90-91 or 92 at a an absolute push, but he's no Saj in terms of pace.

He has only been 85mph in the County Championship game today.

Note I said this season. Not just this T20 season. I know my Lancashire bowlers.

You gone to see them play or have they had a few more games on TV than I have seen? (Honest question, even though it reads sarcastically).

manee added 0 Minutes and 55 Seconds later...

And does playing Test cricket not qualify you as a Test cricketer? If you meant the best bowler in the currently line-up, then say it.

Easy with the arrogance. It was just some light humour poking fun at the fact that Saj Mahmood is nowhere near the standard of a good or even adequate Test cricketer.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Last season, he took wickets for Durham but none for England so the correlation isn't always there. He could take a bagful if given another chance.

People taking wickets for their county and not for their country is quite normal - the opposite occuring is slightly more unusual.

manee added 0 Minutes and 28 Seconds later...

Well, I missed it.

What did I say about the arrogance:p

Sureshot

Executive member
Actually, Mahmood is the quickest. And Harmison favours English conditions mainly because he isn't suffering from home-sickness. If he can bowl quickly for Durham, he can bowl quickly for England.

So, it's all about bowling quickly?

Both Anderson and Broad were bowling in the 90s in the ODIs. No point in having pace if your delivery is like a gattling gun.

We persisted with Harmison, he was once the best in the world. He isn't any more, he doesn't have the mental strength to cope with international cricket. If I were a selector I would never pick him again. We can move on, we have lots of young fast bowling talent. We carried him for a long time, too long imo.

I have a lot of respect for Harmison, we was once a world class bowler. But there is no place for sentiment in Test cricket.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
But not impossible.

What is the reasoning behind you thinking that it will occur then? Does he raise his game for England - not really. Is he bowling too good deliveries to dismiss County batsman - doubt it.

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
So, it's all about bowling quickly?

Didn't I make that point at the start? Yes, I think we need to match SA's fast bowling line-up as well as Panesar. IObviously, if Harmison goes at 6 an over with an average of 4 wides an over, it's not working.

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
I still think Harmison has what it takes to succeed at Tes Level again, I reckon its a mtter of self confidence. Oh how we would all love to see him ripping up a batting line up like he did against Pakistan with figures of 6-13 again...

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Hmmm

He has only been 85mph in the County Championship game today.

You gone to see them play or have they had a few more games on TV than I have seen? (Honest question, even though it reads sarcastically).

Don't be letting one performance fool you. Flintoff got out for 6 but that doesn't mean he's a bad batsman.......well, bad analogy but you get the picture.

Yeah, i've been at Old Trafford a few times this season to watch all forms of Lancashire cricket and trust me he is genuinly quick these days. He'll be back in the side ina couple fo years i'm sure of it.

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
What is the reasoning behind you thinking that it will occur then? Does he raise his game for England - not really. Is he bowling too good deliveries to dismiss County batsman - doubt it.

Actually, if you watch clips of him bowling against Yorkshire today, you'd see he bowled a jaffer that bowled Vaughan.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah, i've been at Old Trafford a few times this season to watch all forms of Lancashire cricket and trust me he is genuinly quick these days. He'll be back in the side ina couple fo years i'm sure of it.

I rate Saj highly, but didn't know he was churning out the pace in the 4-day game, it is promising. However, I stick by my judgement that Anderson is the quickest bowler over two innings over five days in England - check out the numbers, he reads pretty highly, pretty consistently.

No, I am not implying that Jimmy or his hair are pretty.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
I still think Harmison has what it takes to succeed at Tes Level again, I reckon its a mtter of self confidence. Oh how we would all love to see him ripping up a batting line up like he did against Pakistan with figures of 6-13 again...

To be fair, my nan could have bowled Pakistan out during that Test match. They were awful!

I wouldn't be disapointed with a Harmison return but nor would I encourage it either. If if if if if if if he gets it right he can have Safrica out for peanuts.

Users who are viewing this thread