South Africa in England

I were joking about Vaughan. He is in awful form though; still he's due.

Is that wicket keeper thing the article from Wisden that Lee is obsessed with?

Yes.

I would support GoJo getting back into the England team. Hell, every man and his dog gets a go with the gloves these days. I'm just waiting for my own call up soon :rolleyes:

Naa its from Cricinfo Evo...

You can't take a lot of information from that to be honest. They have only taken two things into account. These being the Average and the Dismissals per match I think it is. Looks a bit blurry but then you need to take into account like byes, are they consistent? stumpings and other such things.

EDIT: Well the picture is from cricinfo?

Gah give him a break. I don't pick the teams. Get behind your players for a friggin' change.

If/When he puts that shirt on I will always get behind him, like any player playing for England. Doesn't mean I can't lambaste their selection.

evertonfan said:
At the end of the day, they are miles better than you. For you to question they're right to play for England is ridiculous.

That's a weak point, Matt. Chris Lewis is a better player than most of us is, yet we can still laugh at Surrey for signing him for the T20 this year. Just because they are better than me doesn't mean I can't say they shouldn't be playing for England, because you know what? I'm not saying that I should be playing, instead of them!

m_vaughan said:
How else is someone who is out of the England team win back the confidence of the selectors?

Most cricketers can get back in by showing their form is improving. But with Harmison, it's as much about his mental state, as it is about his form.

Well I have my personal view and I know a lot of people will be against it, but I really think Geraint Jones is the best Wk-batsman to have.

He hasn't done much with the bat since he was dropped by England, got a century last season iirc, not done much this season. His keeping skills are very good, though.

I like Nasser's commentary normally, he just says stupid biased stuff out of the blue. I'm not saying Foster isn't good either, because he probably is. But I don't quite understand how he's the best at doing something he hasn't done. He can't be the best ODI keeper-batsman (he didn't only comment on his keeping to whoever mentioned it) if he hasn't played ODI cricket recently.

I love the rest of them. Boycott luckily I don't hear commentate much, but he does talk a load of rubbish and his old man's voice annoys the hell out of me.

That image is interesting mbrose at 13th. Kinda confusing as to why England arn;t using some of the guys further up the list.

Kieswetter isn't eligible to play for England. Nor is O'Brien (I assume so, he has played for Ireland recently). Nixon is 39, Read has been picked before and is unlikely to play for England again for several reasons.

No way would I class Pothas as the best keeper batsman in the country. I don't think his keeping is that brilliant from what I've seen of him. Those figures are probably inflated because of the Rose Bowl suiting the seam bowlers of Hants. I think c Pothas b Mascarenhas is one of the best common dismissals down there.

Nash is an interesting one, very good batsman. His keeping isn't as bad as that, I suppose that's the problem in playing at Lord's half the time. His understudy at Middlesex, Ben Scott, is one of the best keepers around. A proper keeper, if you know what I mean. His batting is coming on too. I really do think Batty should be given a go. Him or Davies is next in-line imo. Should Ambrose be dropped.

England side have been announced.

England: 1 Andrew Strauss, 2 Alastair Cook, 3 Michael Vaughan (capt), 4 Kevin Pietersen, 5 Ian Bell, 6 Paul Collingwood, 7 Andrew Flintoff, 8 Tim Ambrose (wk), 9 Ryan Sidebottom, 10 James Anderson, 11 Monty Panesar

The right team, imo.

Well, I must say, for the selectors to only just include him was a shock for me.

We need to look towards the main showpiece next year, the ashes.

I think all this tinkering with the team needs to stop, we need to look at the team that won us the ashes in 2005.

Trescothick (Retired, A Cook maybe?)
Strauss
Vaughan (Failing at the moment)
Bell (Out of form a bit)
Pietersen (Quality V SA)
Flintoff (Just coming back)
Jones (Dropped)
Giles (Retired, Monty here?)
Hoggard (Dropped)
Harmison (Dropped)
Jones (Dropped)

I Look at that team and think, right, we have been mis-firing V SA, So why not recall everyone who has been dropped, give them a chance? Because, if that team beat Aus, why can't that same team (With 2 changes, Tresco & Giles) Beat SA?! Also, Jones has been getting the wickets for The Royals, and Jones has shown some good form behind the stumps... Im confused with it all!

Also:

Steve Harmison and Stuart Broad have been left out of the England side for the third Test against South Africa, but Paul Collingwood has been recalled.

What the hell are the selectors doing? Broad might not have been firing with the ball, but he has got us valuable runs down the lower order, where as Collingwood has been a flop to say the least! :mad: God they are making England into a laughing stock!

Last edited:
England side have been announced.

The right team, imo.

I'm not so sure. Broad's batting has been firing at international level, Collingwood's hasn't even been firing at county. I really can't see why they'd drop him then repick him when nothing has changed at all, seems highly illogical. If someone is scoring runs you don't drop them for someone who hasn't scored for awhile.

What the hell are the selectors doing? Broad might not have been firing with the ball, but he has got us valuable runs down the lower order, where as Collingwood has been a flop to say the least! :mad: God they are making England into a laughing stock!

Broad's a bowler. If he's not taking wickets then he has evey right to be dropped.

Bowlers bowl, batsmen bat. Anything else is a bonus.

Broad's a bowler. If he's not taking wickets then he has evey right to be dropped.

Bowlers bowl, batsmen bat. Anything else is a bonus.

Fair enough he might not be taking a lot of wickets, but he is doing something Collingwood isn't... Scoring runs.

Yeah, if a bowler is scoring runs but not taking wickets then replace him with someone to take wickets, but what you don't do is replace him with someone who isn't scoring runs and won't take wickets either.

Kinf of hard to score runs when you're out of the side. Collingwood is class and is going through the obligatory loss of form. This is the same man who hit 96 and 200-odd in successive Tests against Australia not too long ago and has managed to maintain a run in the side despite never having a spot tied-down with competition with Ian Bell and questions about his technique.

Collingwood will score runs.

There is a lot of potential for not scoring runs. The long tail is there to be exposed, though I suspect a little more resilience from the middle order will protect them.

Users who are viewing this thread