South Africa in England

Heres really what i do not understand.

The England Selectors must of said.

"Right our main problem is taking 20 Wickets what should we Do?"
"We could drop Broad for Harmison."
"Nah lets Drop Broad for a Batsmen and play with 4 Bowlers."

England selected the right 11 from the current squad. At least they got something right.

England won the toss and are batting.

Not much pace in the pitch, the ball is zipping through nicely. I'm sure this pitch shouldn't suit the South African bowlers, barring maybe Kallis.

I'm fairly optimistic, as this pitch should suit us more, than it suits them.

A decent start by our openers, they generally do a good job of seeing off the new ball. One of them must kick on though i feel if we are to secure a large total.

If anyone can kick off its Cook. I'm not sure about Strauss anymore. He doesn't seem the force he was against NZ. He's good enough to score a century but only if he has someone going good like Pietersen on the other end. If everyone's crumbling and he's still there he won't play that saving innings he used to play early in his career.

Opening partnership of 50, a good start. Alistair Cook is going to be key to get us a good start as I don't think Strauss is going to be there for much longer.

Oh dear thats rather unlucky, stepping on your stumps :(

Looks like a famous English collapse in the offing :mad:

Last edited:
England must be the only side obsessed with the keeper, the rest keep the same one for long long periods, we've had FOUR since (and including) the Ashes of 2006/7

Both Collingwood and Vaughan are in poor form with the bat, certainly Shah deserves more chance than he's had or likely to get. I think it is too soon for Bopara.

The balance is good, I hate people harping on about five bowlers as if more bowlers equals more wickets - it doesn't. You need your best bowlers and England have picked their best two seamers in Anderson and Sidebottom who've picked up 91 wickets between them at under 30 apiece in their respective last 10 Tests. Panesar is seen as our best spinner, we should play him if conditions help, although his last 10 Tests have yielded 29 wickets at 36.52. And while I have reservations about Flintoff, he does average around 33 with bat and ball, while the majority of other contenders can't bat to that level and only take wickets at 31+.

I certainly wouldn't reshuffle too much, Collingwood is obviously one of the boys and Vaughan is still given way too much credit for his captaincy. Perhaps when more people realise his captaincy is massively over-rated, then his position will become much weaker and we can bring in a better runscorer and give the captaincy to Strauss.

England batsmen/keeper - last 10 Tests

732 runs : Pietersen (around 1/5 came in his 152)
720 runs : Cook (laughably someone compared persisting with Broad to him)
708 runs : Strauss (around 1/4 came in his 177)
633 runs : Bell (around 1/3 came in his 199)
519 runs : Collingwood (HS 66)
448 runs : Vaughan (around 1/4 came in his 106)
326 runs : Ambrose (has played only 12 innings to everyone else's 17, 1/3 came in his 102)

Broad has 371 runs in 11 inns, but no hundreds so what choice did the selectors have but to drop him? Flintoff has scored 456 runs @ 28.50 (HS 89 vs AUS) and taken 27 wkts @ 34.33 in his last 10 Tests. That puts him ahead of Vaughan in the above order, Vaughan's average for those 448 runs is a mere 30.53
Why would you compare players in 10 Tests with a player who has only played 8? Plus, players get less innings the lower in the order they are, so obviously this is weighted. Compare them all on the last 11 innings. Vaughan, Collingwood and Ambrose have all scored less runs and average less than 30. The man who has replaced Broad has not outscored him and not scored any centuries.

My opinion is not that Collingwood is incapable of recovering from a form slump, nor is he definitely the worst asset. Rather, they not only have to carry Collingwood, but Vaughan and Ambrose and possibly Flintoff too. England's in-form batsmen are outnumbered.

I'll tell you what angry. When I saw your name had just posted I was thinking damn right I'm angry!

Strauss...not sure what happened there, but that's unlucky. The decision for Vaughan was poor though, the South Africans even belatedly appealed for it. KP needs to show up now.

Strauss what a terrible Mistake.

Vaughan gone again Snicko just proved it was out and there was a clear noise.

Snicko says yes, Hot spot says no. I still dunno if he hit that. He should have got the benefit of the doubt maybe.

I think he hit it.

And for me Hot Spot for such a small edge might not bring up the Friction mark.

For me it was Out.

banjo6 added 5 Minutes and 37 Seconds later...

Gone. Caught.

Haha good England Collapsing.

Users who are viewing this thread