Spanish Football thread

Who will win the La Liga this season?

• Total voters
Quite disappointing from Real but fair play to Mallorca. Played very much like Fulham under Hodgson - very narrow and tight in defence and very organised. But Madrid didn't really have much of a spark and seemed very predictable, until Benzema and Ozil came on. When there were 2 forwards they seemed more variable in attack and created more. But still they need to be more composed and break teams down better - but it's only the first game.

well to add more salt to the wound, madrid have lost CR7 for three weeks through an injury that will keep him out of their 1st game in the Champions League .
While Mascherano has passed Barcelona Medical and is set to be unveiled within the next 4 hours

I think our forwards were particularly wasteful yesterday which can happen on the first game of the season. Mallorca is a tough place to go to, as they lost just three games there the whole of last season.

Canales and Di Maria did not have particularly good games but their talent will come through in the end. They've already shown it in pre-season. But one thing we missed last night but Sergio Ramos at RB. Arbeloa is good, but nowhere near as dynamic as Ramos. We need to get Albiol or Pepe back so that Ramos can resume his RB duties. I wouldn't mind starting Mateos against Osasuna if required. Ricardo Carvalho was probably our best performer on the night.

Losing Ronaldo for three weeks is a blow no doubt but I think we should be able to see off Osasuna and Ajax at home without any issues.

Four seasons back we started with a 0-0 draw against Villarreal only to lift the title at the end of the campaign.

Four seasons back we started with a 0-0 draw against Villarreal only to lift the title at the end of the campaign.

That is possible only if Man Utd win BPL. Because except for the 2009 season, the pattern of the respective league's winners are like this :

Season-BPL-La Liga:

2003-ManUtd-Madrid
2004-Arsenal-Valencia
2005-Chelsea-Barcelona
2006-Chelsea-Barcelona
2007-ManUtd-Madrid
2008-ManUtd-Madrid
2009-ManUtd-Barcelona
2010-Chelsea-Barcelona

So man utd winning BPL corresponds to glory in madrid as well :D

Funny table:laugh. But without Ronaldo and Kaka many youngsters have a chance. Like Bhenzema.

That is possible only if Man Utd win BPL. Because except for the 2009 season, the pattern of the respective league's winners are like this :

Season-BPL-La Liga:

2003-ManUtd-Madrid
2004-Arsenal-Valencia
2005-Chelsea-Barcelona
2006-Chelsea-Barcelona
2007-ManUtd-Madrid
2008-ManUtd-Madrid
2009-ManUtd-Barcelona
2010-Chelsea-Barcelona

So man utd winning BPL corresponds to glory in madrid as well :D

Why stop at 2003?

2002-Arsenal-Valencia
2001-Man Utd-Real Madrid
2000-Man Utd-Deportivo
1999-Man Utd-Barcelona
1998-Arsenal-Barcelona
1997-Man Utd-Real Madrid
1996-Man Utd-Atletico Madrid
1995-Blackburn-Real Madrid
1994-Man Utd-Barcelona
1993-Man Utd-Barcelona
1992-Leeds-Barcelona
1991-Arsenal-Barcelona
1990-Liverpool-Real Madrid
1989-Arsenal-Real Madrid
1988-Liverpool-Real Madrid
1987-Everton-Real Madrid
1986-Liverpool-Real Madrid

So a Liverpool, Arsenal or even a Blackburn or Everton win is ok with us.

^ Lol i can consider only from this decade and that rules Arsenal , Liverpool and Blackburn out meaning only Man Utd corresponds to madrid winning la liga :p

Great start for Atletico, with a 4-0 win. :) It's only Gijon, but still a good win considering we couldn't beat the smaller teams consistently enough last season. Pity that Jurado's going to Schalke though.

Aguero's play to set up the second goal was brilliant.

Diego Forlan was awesome for Atletico. Expect more from him.

Atletico should really finish in the top four this season, they've strengthened their weak defence with the signings of Godin and Filipe.

Although they've never really had a problem buying good defenders, just struggled with the whole organisational concept of their defence, to much hilarity in recent years.

Atletico should really finish in the top four this season, they've strengthened their weak defence with the signings of Godin and Filipe.

Although they've never really had a problem buying good defenders, just struggled with the whole organisational concept of their defence, to much hilarity in recent years.

Yes their defence has improved but its still not good enough if Luis Perea is their first back up. (He has started for them till now but I guess when Filipe returns and Dominguez goes to CB, Mr. comedy will take his place on the bench)

I don't see them finishing in the top four. Just an early season purple patch this. Glad Jurado left them.

This La Liga season is really just going to be the Madrid vs Barca show. Which would make it the most boring La Liga season i think in a long time.

Atletico could be considered.

Users who are viewing this thread