Spanish Football thread

Who will win the La Liga this season?

• Total voters
Good game tonight. Villarreal seem to have an excellent attack this season and the midfield too has improved with the inclusion of Borja Valero. Defence might be stretched by Barca's attackers, but I guess Nilmar, Rossi, Borja, Santi, Cani can cause the Barca backline problems, especially with Pique missing.

To me borja valero is the key. He has been providing the likes of rossi and nilmar with some deadly through balls so barcelona better watch him first

Oh my. Back to back friendlies & spain have conceeded 4 goals. That Puyol/Pique partnership definately looking a bit vulnerable now.

Poor performance again in a friendly. Portugal looked more determined from the beginning while Spain's attack looking blunt because Villa staying on the left flank.

Pique and Puyol had a much better outing though. Pique especially made a crucial goal-line clearance and another vital tackle. I thought it was the midfield which just lazed around for most of the game. Busquets seemed more intent in fouling Ronaldo then passing the ball to his team-mates. Xavi and Iniesta were only playing with each other.

Del Bosque's decision to play Llorente and Torres together in the second half was ridiculous as well as they play in the same position and offer the same role.

Taking nothing away for Portugal though who were brilliant in their passing. Their midfield worked so hard in moving the ball forward while on the flanks they possess two of the finest players on the planet.

Disappointing from Spain and Del Bosque should take the blame for these back to back poor performances against Argentina and Portugal. Prior to the former, I do not remember Spain conceding four in a game for a long time.

Also what's up with the new jersey? Looks terrible:facepalm

It should have been actually 6-0 for Portugal. Nani headed a ball in the goal, that was actually already after the goalline. If he didn't touch that ball, it would have been a clear goal. Also a couple minutes after that Pique saved another clear goal by his head. From that moment I had a feeling that Portugal would roll over Spain, especially I was expecting that the regular players of Spain would be substituted.

On the positive point: Spain lost two matches this year, but both were friendlies. Friendlies are meant for trying out new players and that's what happened. If this was an official match the result wouldn't have been like that.

Busquets and Ronaldo were probably warming up for the upcoming Real Madrid vs Barcelona match. :lol

Friendlies are meant for trying out new players and that's what happened. If this was an official match the result wouldn't have been like that.

Thats really not the point. VDB did not field a second string side as such and it was disappointing to see the first team players take their places in the side for granted, friendly or not.

If their intention was to laze around then VDB should have actually let the reserves start the game. Atleast when Santi, Llorente, Arbeloa came on they were showing more collective intent.

Also I think Xavi and Puyol should decide NOW whether they want to seriously continue their international careers. If they decide to quit, then their replacements will have sufficient time to settle into the team. Spain already have two fantastic center backs in Alvaro Dominguez and Mikel San Jose who I am sure will be even better than Pique-Puyol in the future. Cesc or Santi can replace Xavi.

Lol spain made only 1 change to the world cup winning lineup and that was David Silva in place of Pedro

Some of these players in the starting line up didn't play the whole match. In an official match there wouldn't be that many substitutions.

Also Barcelona vs Real Madrid is coming after 1.5 week. Bad thing is that the match will be played on a Monday.

Thats really not the point. VDB did not field a second string side as such and it was disappointing to see the first team players take their places in the side for granted, friendly or not.

If their intention was to laze around then VDB should have actually let the reserves start the game. Atleast when Santi, Llorente, Arbeloa came on they were showing more collective intent.

Also I think Xavi and Puyol should decide NOW whether they want to seriously continue their international careers. If they decide to quit, then their replacements will have sufficient time to settle into the team. Spain already have two fantastic center backs in Alvaro Dominguez and Mikel San Jose who I am sure will be even better than Pique-Puyol in the future. Cesc or Santi can replace Xavi.

Interesting.

Maybe Puyol can decide, but i reckon Xavi can still have much use between the next EURO & WC for Spain.

What two clubs do those two young center backs play for?. I dont think i've ever heard of them.

Interesting.

Maybe Puyol can decide, but i reckon Xavi can still have much use between the next EURO & WC for Spain.

What two clubs do those two young center backs play for?. I dont think i've ever heard of them.

Alvaro Dominguez is at Atletico Madrid while Mikel San Jose plays for Bilbao.

Xavi is still a great player but he himself admitted recently at considering international retirement to prolong his club career. Puyol too mentioned about it after the WC. As good as they may be, their indecision on the matter could be detrimental to the future of the Spanish side.

Alvaro Dominguez is at Atletico Madrid while Mikel San Jose plays for Bilbao.

Xavi is still a great player but he himself admitted recently at considering international retirement to prolong his club career. Puyol too mentioned about it after the WC. As good as they may be, their indecision on the matter could be detrimental to the future of the Spanish side.

Fair point.

And is canales playing at all ?? Mou just seems to have no respect for that wiz kid :(

To be honest Mou wants his first XI too click completely and consistently before rotating. Canales was injured for about 6 weeks and has played as a substitute since returning.

Remember Canales was a long-term signing made by Real. He was initially expected to remain at Santander for a season long loan, but Mou decided to get him in straight away.

Barcelona and Real Madrid winning 8-0 and 5-1 respectively. That sets up the El Classico nicely next week.

Users who are viewing this thread