Spanish Football thread

Who will win the La Liga this season?

• Total voters
Barcelona were simply brilliant and fantastic all over the pitch in the game. Great win for them and certainly a huge blow for Mourinho. Pretty sure he will want to get his revenge in the return match in April.

J-Psychic added 1 Minutes and 23 Seconds later...

The most awaited game of the season turned out to be the most disappointing one. I cant even remember the last time Mourinho was owned so badly.

Yeah. I think most people would probably expect a much more even contest rather than a one-sided match.

J-Psychic added 2 Minutes and 49 Seconds later...

Barca where superb. But the season is still young. Barca beat Inter in the champions league quarter final last season - that Inter came back to beat them later in the semi's.

Just like then Mourinho has to learn from those mistakes, so that if Real continue to have a good season by time the next super classico comes around next year, he wil be ready.

Real would have to play two strong defensive mid-fielders (any two of L Diarra, M Diarra, Gago or Khedira).

For heavens sake they can't play with their defensive line so high, since that was a glaring error today & Barca kept beating the off-side trap they where trying to set.

Barcelona beat Inter in the group stage last season before the latter taking their revenge in the Semi Final.

I was pretty surprised with Mourinho's approach of defending high up the pitch knowing that Barcelona have players with pace.

For heavens sake they can't play with their defensive line so high, since that was a glaring error today & Barca kept beating the off-side trap they where trying to set.

I was pretty surprised with Mourinho's approach of defending high up the pitch knowing that Barcelona have players with pace.

I think the reason why Mourinho played a high defensive line could be to cram barca players of space. I think he expected his defensive midfielders to boss around the midfield.

LOLRAMOS.

Seriously, anyone who can claim Sergio Ramos to be the best right back in the world is nothing less than a complete ******. He is an utter shambles.

Madrid defended badly; Pepe and Carvalho were absymal; the defensive line was shambolic; but Barcelona were, quite simply, on another planet. That performance was probably the best footballing performance I've ever seen. It will certainly go down in history as one of the best. There's no doubt in my mind that this Barca side are better than the Dream Team.

I think the reason why Mourinho played a high defensive line could be to cram barca players of space. I think he expected his defensive midfielders to boss around the midfield.

That perhaps was a risky move because of Barcelona's quick short passing playing style. But the fact that Barcelona performed and Real Madrid didn't, it was always going to be difficult to do it.

J-Psychic added 6 Minutes and 23 Seconds later...

LOLRAMOS.

Seriously, anyone who can claim Sergio Ramos to be the best right back in the world is nothing less than a complete ******. He is an utter shambles.

Not only that, Ronaldo pushing Pep Guardiola in the chest was utterly disgraceful!

Barcelona beat Inter in the group stage last season before the latter taking their revenge in the Semi Final.

Ye my mistake i meant to type group stage.

That perhaps was a risky move because of Barcelona's quick short passing playing style. But the fact that Barcelona performed and Real Madrid didn't, it was always going to be difficult to do it.

Yea exactly it was crazy risk. When i saw how high the line was early is was WTF is the back four doing. :lol

You got park the plane in front of goal & force Barca to shoot from 30 yards out, then hope to catch them on brisk counter-attack IFFF they lose the ball. Thats just what Inter did last season.

To be fair to Mourinho though, making drastic changes before this game would have been harsh on a XI that was playing very well to date & he may have honestly thought they could beat Barca @ their own game. But he knows now the next time, he has to resort to old tactics.

For the next classico Real line-up would have to mirror something like this:

------------------------------Casillas-------------------------------------

Ramos----------------Pepe---------------Carvalho-----------------Arbeloa

------------L Diarra-----------Khedira-----------M Diarra/Gago-------------

-------------------------------Alonso-------------------------------------

---------------------Ronaldo-----------Huguain---------------------------

Barca we dont want the ball...:lol

War added 1 Minutes and 20 Seconds later...

He was poor last night. But he certainly is one of the best.

Ye even the best can have bad nights. The next best right-back in the world Maicon was ***** by Gareth Bale the other day too.

Yea exactly it was crazy risk. When i saw how high the line was early is was WTF is the back four doing. :lol

You got park the plane in front of goal & force Barca to shoot from 30 yards out, then hope to catch them on brisk counter-attack IFFF they lose the ball. Thats just what Inter did last season.

To be fair to Mourinho though, making drastic changes before this game would have been harsh on a XI that was playing very well to date & he may have honestly thought they could beat Barca @ their own game. But he knows now the next time, he has to resort to old tactics.

Arsenal tried that in the Champions League last season but failed rather miserably. And anyway, the return match at the Santiago Bernabeu should be a good one. Pretty sure Mourinho wouldn't want to lose his ridiculous but proud 130+ unbeaten home league matches to Barcelona in that match.

Maicon and Sergio Ramos best right backs in the world? Jesus Christ there are some mongs in football these days.

evertonfan added 3 Minutes and 27 Seconds later...

He was poor last night. But he certainly is one of the best.

Point proven. He is an atrocious right back. Play him as a midfielder and we'll talk, but defensively he is an utter shambles.

Ye my mistake i meant to type group stage.

For the next classico Real line-up would have to mirror something like this:

------------------------------Casillas-------------------------------------

Ramos----------------Pepe---------------Carvalho-----------------Arbeloa

------------L Diarra-----------Khedira-----------M Diarra/Gago-------------

-------------------------------Alonso-------------------------------------

---------------------Ronaldo-----------Huguain---------------------------

Barca we dont want the ball...:lol

War added 1 Minutes and 20 Seconds later...

Ye even the best can have bad nights. The next best right-back in the world Maicon was ***** by Gareth Bale the other day too.
To be fair, Mourinho started out the game by playing a deep defensive line, but the shocking defending and early goals meant they had no option but to change. It was 2-0 in under 20 mins so Mourinho changed to play an aggresive offside trap but Carvalho and co were quite frankly shite.

Maicon being "*****" by Bale has been seriously exaggerated. Inter play a very high line and press very high up. This meant there was a lot of space for Bale to exploit. On the right hand side of Inter, they had an inexperienced youngster on the flank who was hardly disciplined defensively so Maicon was often outnumbered on the flank and could do very little.
Maicon and Sergio Ramos best right backs in the world? Jesus Christ there are some mongs in football these days.

At the end of last season I'd have definitely said Maicon was better than Alves. In terms of all round play Maicon was better, but Alves had incredible stamina. Now I'd say Alves edges on the fact that his awareness and movement is up to the standard of dizzying heights that the whole Barca team have reached.

Having said that, I think that Lahm is the best right back in the world. Lahm's ability on the counter attack is absolutely phenomenal. Germany's whole system at the world cup was based on overloading the flanks on counter attacks; and Lahm was fantastic at it. Defensively, in terms of technique, he's much better than the others, and has fantastic ability on the break.

To be fair, Mourinho started out the game by playing a deep defensive line, but the shocking defending and early goals meant they had no option but to change. It was 2-0 in under 20 mins so Mourinho changed to play an aggresive offside trap but Carvalho and co were quite frankly shite.

I'd say the defensive line was high from the start. When Messi almost scored that wonder goal with his left-foot early soon i was screaming with my mate why are Madrid's line so deep. Thus when Xavi scored the 1st goal i basically say it coming.

Maicon being "*****" by Bale has been seriously exaggerated. Inter play a very high line and press very high up. This meant there was a lot of space for Bale to exploit. On the right hand side of Inter, they had an inexperienced youngster on the flank who was hardly disciplined defensively so Maicon was often outnumbered on the flank and could do very little.

Agree to disagree on this one. Since i remember a few instances @ White hart lane. Bale beating Maicon on 1 vs 1 situation with sheer pace.

At the end of last season I'd have definitely said Maicon was better than Alves. In terms of all round play Maicon was better, but Alves had incredible stamina. Now I'd say Alves edges on the fact that his awareness and movement is up to the standard of dizzying heights that the whole Barca team have reached.

Having said that, I think that Lahm is the best right back in the world. Lahm's ability on the counter attack is absolutely phenomenal. Germany's whole system at the world cup was based on overloading the flanks on counter attacks; and Lahm was fantastic at it. Defensively, in terms of technique, he's much better than the others, and has fantastic ability on the break.

Interesting assesment on Lahm & Alves.

Lahm is sort of overlooked when people talk about rigt-backs. He is probably the most solid defensively than Maicon, Ramos & Alves. But i'd still rate Maicon as the best overall.

Real Madrid will have some trouble in the next match against Valencia. Pepe and Carvalho will be suspended (because of yellow cards according to the TV commentator) and Ramos as well. Also Ronaldo in some doubt because of an injury and Higuain is out for some months.

Also Reina made another keeper mistake. This time against Steaua Bucharest.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread