Spanish Football thread

Who will win the La Liga this season?

• Total voters
Congratulations to Real Madrid. But I think Villarreal would have certainly given them a tougher fight if it wasnt for the slow start we had. But in the end I am very happy with the second place. And with some new signings now and a good coach in Pelligrini I think Villarreal's chances this season look good.

I agree. Villarreal came into the title scene pretty late when both Madrid and Barca kept dropping points. I think the gap at one stage was 2 points but then we pulled clear once again. Totally agree about your new signings especially Ibagaza, but I still think we are way too strong for you. I reckon you guys will do well in the league and Europe as well.

m_vaughan added 59 Minutes and 20 Seconds later...

Goal.com said:
The first division will be known as the "Liga BBVA" next season after a three year sponsorship deal signed with one of Spain's largest banks, and the second division will be known as the "Liga Adelante" after one of the bank's business divisions.

Fixtures will be out before the end of this month but the season is set to kick of on the weekend of 30/31st August and end on May 31st. The CDR final will be after that but before Spain's campaign in the FIFA Confederations Cup in South Africa.

I think everyone is still celebrating the Euro victory. The renaming thing is old news and was first mentioned sometime in last December. BBVA are a huge bank though in Spain, South America, Mexico and growing in the USA.

So we couldnt have got a worse opening fixture than going to Deportivo, whom we havent beaten at the Riazor since.................yeah 1991. :noway

First game against Barca is on December 14 at their stadium, with the Bernabeu game on May 3rd, which I believe will be in the 34th round of matches.

Atletico games are on Oct 19 (away) and March 8 (home).

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/07/16/sports/EU-SOC-Spain-League-Schedule.php

Just over a month left now. yeah!!:happy

We have a tough period in December when we have consecutive games against Sevilla, Valencia and Barcelona in the span of 21 days. Buts its worse in April-May when we have four back to back matches against Sevilla, Valencia, Barcelona and Villarreal!

The possibility of Barca :clap for us again is lesser this season.

Good I thought the fixture list favoured Real Madrid in the last season. Just waiting for the start of the liga now. our opening game is with Osasuna and I think we should win.

What?? We had some tough games together last season as well. But are you on about? But yeah this season its tougher.

You seem like a proper Villarreal fan, and although I am not very proud of that its good to get some one who doesnt support an English side.

Osasuna should be easy, is it at home?

Real will win third time in a row!!! seriously they shud since they are playin very well as a team and might get David Villa to further strengthen their attack though i dont think they need him. Van nisterroy is goin win the golden boots also.

If Villa comes (highly unlikely considering how gay teams are in Spain about selling players to rivals) then he will definitely win the golden boot in all competitions. The quality of service he will get Real Madrid from the likes of Sneijder, Guti, Gago, Diarra, Robben and Robinho will be far better than that he gets at Valencia.

Van Nistelrooy is not getting any younger but is still one hell of a goalscorer and his combination with Raul is just brilliant.

Guess who scored? R O B I N H O!

But really really poor game, especially in the first half, everyone seemed to be walking around, taking no initiative and interest. Second half was better though and overall I think we have a very very strong midfield (with width) for next season if Robinho does stay and is able to sort out his stupid mental problems and behave.

Really looking forward to Sunday now, when it all begins again. Glad Valencia have held on to Villa and Silva, because they wont have any stupid excuses when we beat them!

Brilliant game. We were the second best team, but still managed to score two away goals, and also were without some key players for most of the match. Defence was one of the weakest in recent history, and shows really how hard Pepe and Cannavaro work all season.

Robinho was poor, and I thought Schuster should have brought on Robben much earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread