Sri Lanka in England/Netherlands

According to Cricinfo england will probably have this:

Hoggard
Plunkett
Mahmood
Panesar/Udal

I think Plunkett should play, he did very will in the ODI's in india, i'm not so sure about mahmood. As for Udal vs Panesar, Udal is the outright winner.

I am surprised Derbyshire declared on 208-4. That practically gave Derbyshire the chance to victory.

And it seems that Simon Jones and Anderson are continiously plagued with injuries. Maybe some change in medical staff of the national team can be a better option.

ZexyZahid said:
And it seems that Simon Jones and Anderson are continiously plagued with injuries. Maybe some change in medical staff of the national team can be a better option.

Actually only Simon Jones has been plagued with injuries, Jimmy was just suffering from a crisis of confidence for a while mixed with some fairly poor man management by the England hierarchy.

Unfortunately for the lad having had a decent year in County Cricket, and followed it up with a good tour of India he has gotten injured when looking close to the promising prospect that first burst onto the scene as a wee nipper.

Drewska said:
According to Cricinfo england will probably have this:

Hoggard
Plunkett
Mahmood
Panesar/Udal

I think Plunkett should play, he did very will in the ODI's in india, i'm not so sure about mahmood. As for Udal vs Panesar, Udal is the outright winner.

England going the Indian route I see ;)
Anyway first I've heard of Mahmood, should be interesting seeing how he goes. That lineup is quite different to what it was only a few months back.

if Jones and Harmison don;t play, then i would think that would even thiings up a bit for the teams, comes i am most worried about Sri Lankas batting on Englsih wickets, also, it will be interesting to see how the english batsmen go against left arm medium/fast of Vaas, i don't recall watching england play a left arm seamer on a good seamers wicket.

when Pakistan play, that i would assume, will be much closer, but, lets never rule out Sri Lanka, im certainly behind them.

can i ask, why is there no poll on this thread??

Hoggard should prove a handful for the SL batsmen but if he doesn't then there is heaps of pressure on the other guys. I would say SL have a good pace attack and with England missing Jones and Harmison the games should be quite close.

i think its alot closer then intially viewed.

any one know if it is being televised in Australia???

WOO HOO! 500 posts!

Zoysa, Maharoof and Vaas are all quality bowlers...i think they can match the pommies also.

but the Lankan's success will be determined by Jayawardene, Sangakkara, Murali and Vaas.

here's hoping they put up a fight :D

aussie1st said:
England going the Indian route I see ;)
Anyway first I've heard of Mahmood, should be interesting seeing how he goes. That lineup is quite different to what it was only a few months back.

Mahmood, is in a similar mould to Harmison. Although I'd say less down the legside.

Mahmood is about 6"5, touches 90MPH at times, but averages 86MPH.

My bowlers (exc.Freddie):

Plunkett
Hoggard
Lewis
Panesar

They bat in that order too.

tsyrmas said:
it will be interesting to see how the english batsmen go against left arm medium/fast of Vaas, i don't recall watching england play a left arm seamer on a good seamers wicket.

I'll be very interested in how Strauss does. Pathan caused him all sorts of problems in India in tests and ODI's. Hopefully for England though, he's worked on this. This will be a close series IF the Sri Lankan batsmen get to grips with the conditions.

Just realised I'll probably miss the highlights on Five on the Thursday, Saturday and maybe Sunday too, with them being on at such a stupid time. :mad

genghis_khan said:
Zoysa, Maharoof and Vaas are all quality bowlers...i think they can match the pommies also.

but the Lankan's success will be determined by Jayawardene, Sangakkara, Murali and Vaas.

here's hoping they put up a fight :D

Agreed.Malinga can also come out as a surprise package.Looking forward to find out how he performs in the Test series if he gets a game.

stevie said:
I'll be very interested in how Strauss does. Pathan caused him all sorts of problems in India in tests and ODI's. Hopefully for England though, he's worked on this.

Certainly will be, because we will get to find out if it is actually the left-arm swing that causes him the problems or the low bounce. He is very much a back foot player and having spent his life playing at Lords enjoys the ball coming onto the bat not minding much if it moves off the seam a little. Lets hope he proves he can handle the left-armers and that Pakistan and the early parts of the India tour were just a blip on his so far very impressive career.

puddleduck said:
Certainly will be, because we will get to find out if it is actually the left-arm swing that causes him the problems or the low bounce. He is very much a back foot player and having spent his life playing at Lords enjoys the ball coming onto the bat not minding much if it moves off the seam a little. Lets hope he proves he can handle the left-armers and that Pakistan and the early parts of the India tour were just a blip on his so far very impressive career.

I would say it's more a problem with bowling from that side of the wicket. He's had difficulties in the past against right armers coming round the wicket to him. Agreed that he is more of a backfoot player though.

Sureshot said:
Mahmood, is in a similar mould to Harmison. Although I'd say less down the legside.

Mahmood is about 6"5, touches 90MPH at times, but averages 86MPH.

My bowlers (exc.Freddie):

Plunkett
Hoggard
Lewis
Panesar

They bat in that order too.

Sort of... In the Odis Mahmood looked highly average spraying one or two balls every over either down the leg-side or on the wrong lengths, although he is a good prospect when the pitch has a bit of bounce, much as Harmison was. Whether he becomes as much of a threat as Harmison is on the bouncy, quick wickets is still to be seen but as an England fan we can but hope :)

Interesting to see you've gone with the form county bowler to plug the current gap by picking Lewis, also that you've gone for Panesar at Lords. Lords traditionally takes little to no turn early days, and Panesar has looked very unthreatening thus far this season, especially in the county warmup at Lords. I am of the school of thought that suggests he could do with an uninterrupted year of county cricket learning to bowl on pitches not offering much in the way of turn.

Personally I don't think they will go with Lewis and we'll be reasonably likely to see Udal, Plunkett, Hoggard, Mahmood. Lacks in experience except the spin department which could be useful in that Udal has spent his life bowling on unhelpful pitches, whilst between Mahmood and Plunkett you have two bowlers who are both good prospects whilst offering a bit of bounce, something the Sri Lankan batsman are least comfortable with.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread