Sri Lanka in India

Who will win the ODI's and TESTS matches?

• ODI Drawn, SL wins Test

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ODI Drawn, Test Drawn

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Ashish_Nehra said:
see the ranks

dravid - test - 3, odi -6
sachin - test - 10+, odi - 9

but also see the career best of these players and you find sachin higher, lara's odi career best was 908

Sachin's been ou for such a long time! You cannot compare them with the rankings yet!

Are we going to continue discussion on the India-Sri Lanka test series in this same thread or are we creating a new thread for it?

Personally, I prefer the discussion to continue here itself!

Dravid named captain for the tests against Sri Lanka; team to be picked tomorrow!

A bold decision, one that finishes the reign of Ganguly on Indian cricket!

Great idea saisrini no point in starting a new one with the same topic.

Its no surpise Dravid was named captain after his success in the ODI arena. Question now is will Ganguly get in the side.
According to rumours the selectors are still keen to pick him but its no foregone conclusion that Ganguly will return with Yuvraj Singh and Mohammad Kaif stating their cliams for inclusion in the test side after their ODI feat.

http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/india/content/story/226817.html

Tomorrow, we will know Ganguly's fate... Gear up for some interesting headlines tomorrow....

It is a case of two sides of the coin for the selectors - one it will give them an experienced guy like Ganguly and they can test how much cricket is still left in him by including him.

The other side of the coin is - its a home series and Sri Lanka were beaten soundly in the recent ODI series. So we have the luxury to experiment a bit and give much needed test exposure to guys like Kaif & Yuvraj!

Yes ,I think they will give ganguly a test berth.
Give him another chance to prove his worth.
He'll return along with Laxman and Kumble.
Here's my probable test squad.

Rahul Dravid (c)
Virender Sehwag (v-c)
Sachin Tendulkar
Sourav Ganguly
VVS Laxman
M Kaif
Y Rao
MS Dhoni (w-k)
I Pathan
A Agarkar
A Kumble
H Singh
M Karthik
Z Khan
Sreesanth/RP Singh

Dinesh Karthick hasnt done anything wrong but hasnt been special like Dhoni. When some one is that special like Dhoni, then you have to pick him ahead of your nothing special keeper! We want Dhoni! He can convert dull draws and likely defeats into victories with his sensible hitting!

If it was my team I would definitely bring in Dhoni. You don't find a special keeper like him everyday. He is one of those one in a life time keepers like Gilly.

Team for first Test against Sri Lanka 1 Virender Sehwag, 2 Gautam Gambhir, 3 Rahul Dravid (capt), 4 Sachin Tendulkar, 5 VVS laxman, 6 Yuvraj Singh, 7 Mohammad Kaif, 8 Mahendra Singh Dhoni (wk), 9 Irfan Pathan, 10 Ajit Agarkar, 11 Harbhajan Singh, 12 Murali Kartik, 13 Anil Kumble, 14 RP Singh.

http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/india/content/story/226933.html

Ganguly in, Dhoni given a chance as is RP Singh. Very good side.

Ganguly has been included in the test side . I feel this in not right because Ganguly is not the best in tests . His records show that he is more valuable as a ODI batsman than a test match player. Also, he has seldom won test matches or saved them for India (the only one that springs to mind is Brisbane 2003)
Gsnguly has always been a great ODI batsman and an average test batsman .
And why has Zaheer not been selected ? He performed superbly in th Duleep Trophy . I cannot find any reason for his non-inclusion . I think we need his experience in tests . Ajit Agarkar may have taken wickets in the ODIs but he has not been the best in test matches and we cannot rely on him to win us test matches . Zaheer has 5 wicket hauls abroad and had performed well in the home series against Australia in 2004 though he did not get many wickets .

Last edited:
:laugh no wonder why Symonds is being called an all rounder these days. ODI he may be an all rounder but test matches. We may as well call Ponting an all rounder too.

Ganguly, allrounder? For tests especially? :rolleyes:

And I want Karthik still in their. Like I keep saying, we need a good backup, he could be it. look how Dravid turned out, after he too was being asked to be dropped from the team. Just a little more time, these guys are young. We don't want to be doing anything rash.

Just see how Kiran More must be celebrating now given that his words have proved true on the same day that he made that controversial statement labelling Ganguly an "all rounder" for the tests?

GANGULY PICKS UP 5 WICKETS AGAINST MAHARASHTRA IN RANJI TROPHY

http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/NEW/LIVE/frames/MAHA_BENG_RJI_23-26NOV2005.html

So as Ganguly has said, by the time he enters the test matches, he has picked up 14 wickets in domestic cricket to show for (still one more innings to complete!)! :D

I know this decision to pick Ganguly is going to be met with a lot of brickbats! But the selectors cant be blamed! We're not Australia! Our country should have some sentiment when going with our decisions. We cant be as hard nosed as Australia or as sentiment driven as the lower ranked nations!

Personally - I am happy about Ganguly being picked in the squad. He gets one last chance to prove himself. Not that I fully support him. I still have a small place of liking for him since he was one of my most favorite players of those times and I certainly want him to either blast his way back or just quit in grace!

Ganguly must be very relieved. But like i said, its the fittest people that survive the pressure. As the saying goes "when the going gets tough, the tough get going". We've seen Sachin do that, Ricky Ponting, Steve Waugh, McGrath, Murali, Warne and many great players who turned the tables under pressure. Even when the performed poorly for a while, they backed themselves, their ability and thats the reason why people call them "greats".

Is Ganguly among them? Only time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread