Super 8: 20th Match England v India

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a team sport, and the heartache comes from an England defeat, not the performance of 1 man in the opposing side.
Yup... I don't get what you're saying. I'm not saying that you watch him and you start feeling depressed, I mean what he does causes your team to lose. He has won several matches against England, and turned matches against England. I really don't see where the point of contention is.

When someone continually gets the better of your side (such as Hayden for India, Warnie for England) you can use the phrase "causing heartache" to describe the metronomic success he has against you. He may be extremely exciting to watch (such as Hayden and Warnie) but that doesn't change the fact that he has single-handedly won or changed games against your team.

Logic:
Heartache caused by England defeat
England defeat caused by specific player

It's simply a transitive relationship there.

Some morons do it in India, maybe 10-15 out of a billion. Those are publicity hungry animals. Does it mean you generalize it to all "Indian fans"?

LOL talk about denial. There were certainly more then 10 people standing around a fire burning pictures of Bucknor :rolleyes:

Of course we were up in arms about it. But what would rioting or whatever the Indian fans would have done done to help?
When has rioting helped anything? Every country has had riots. From what I understand, English football has had its share of riots since its a fairly passionately followed sport. I don't see anyone labeling England as a bunch of rioting hooligans after that?

When has rioting helped anything? Every country has had riots. From what I understand, English football has had its share of riots since its a fairly passionately followed sport. I don't see anyone labeling England as a bunch of rioting hooligans after that?
We are still trying to shake off the football hooliganism tag. There's a difference too between rioting and protesting.

We are still trying to shake off the football hooliganism tag. There's a difference too between rioting and protesting.
I don't see the point you're trying to make, but I'll make one final point. Cricket is pretty much the only sport in India that is followed by people across all social barriers. It doesn't matter if you're a Bollywood star or a slumdog, there're probably going to be members of each social group interested in cricket.

Compare that to a sport like tennis or football, in India. It is the higher social groups that follow these sports. Which is why we suck at it, because there is no grassroots entry into it. You don't grow up in a slum worshipping Rafael Nadal or Cristiano Ronaldo.

I am assuming that football is similar in England--spanning all social groups.

The reactions of different social groups is definitely going to be different, and given the population of India, that effect is only going to be magnified. So, portrayals in the media of burning effigees and the like should not be mistaken for something that seems to happen everyday and everywhere. I am yet to meet or talk to a single person who knows a person who has witnessed one of these events. They are obviously a bunch of unemployed people who still happen to watch cricket.

Similarly, I doubt "hooligans" do their stuff after the game and then go do their 9-5 job the next day.

There isn't just a natural tendency to react violently in India, which seems to be the idea in this forum. And even if people accept that this isn't the case, the constant snide remarks about burning effigees and giving death threats to cricketers as being a reflection of the nation isn't going to help the community of this forum at all.

Anyways... I should sleep as it's 3.22am.

sohum added 1 Minutes and 11 Seconds later...

Actually they did and our clubs were banned from competing in Europe.
It appears the problem was much more widespread in England then, than it is in India with cricket. People are all vouching for their 15 minutes of fame in one of the 45 news channels we have here.

I still don't think riots would happen though in football. Hooligans generally go to games with the intention of causing trouble no matter what. Cricket is distinctly second in terms of popularity here, but even the most popular sport would not have the reaction I have seen from some Indian cricket fans.

Well the point about cricket is that the class-makeup in England is the reverse of India. Here football is the game of the masses and cricket of the bourgeois.
Hence middle-class types can be sanctimonious about effigy burning and slums.

Why is it that a game in England is like an Away match for us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread