The 2008 Beijing Olympics Thread

After winning 3 medals in the past 24 years, India wins two medals in one day to increase its total to 3 medals for this Olympics. It's not much, but it's a significant improvement.
Still hoping for Vijendar to win a gold.
But even now, this is by far our best Olympic effort.Maybe a catalyst for greater things in the future.

Abhinav Bindra has Inspired and this Inspiration will be always Present in comings Olympics and we will surely have a gold medal in every Indian athletic Hands.we will surely have Indians compete with China with the most won Medals:)...

Abhinav Bindra has Inspired and this Inspiration will be always Present in comings Olympics and we will surely have a gold medal in every Indian athletic Hands.we will surely have Indians compete with China with the most won Medals:)...

We have a long long way to go before we can even think of competing with China on the medals table.

We will surely Compete with china in the coming years ..no way is long for us:) we are Indians dude...

Nice attitude, but it helps to be pragmatic when approaching this issue. The inefficiency of our bureaucratic system will continue to hinder the progress of our athletics. We don't spend enough money on our athletic programs compared to the top nations. There are also people who argue that we shouldn't spend money on athletics when we have other issues to address. It's a difficult subject to traverse. I'm just glad some of our athletes have performed so well with the limited resources that are made available to them.

^^agree pal I read once our Hockey Players * Leave i don't wanna share this :(

BUT We Will surely Lead China One day:) Mark my words

China makes the mistake (though some may disagree) of allocating too much money to developing their Olympic athletes. I've read in some reports that they spend around 8 billion. That sort of money might be better spent developing their infrastructure. But, they look at the Olympics as a venue to assert their increasing dominance over the West.

Nice attitude, but it helps to be pragmatic when approaching this issue. The inefficiency of our bureaucratic system will continue to hinder the progress of our athletics. We don't spend enough money on our athletic programs compared to the top nations. There are also people who argue that we shouldn't spend money on athletics when we have other issues to address. It's a difficult subject to traverse. I'm just glad some of our athletes have performed so well with the limited resources that are made available to them.
Great Britain have won only 3 medals (1 gold, 1 silver and 1 bronze) in the athletics at the Olympic Games so far. Yet we have won 34 medals (15 gold, 9 silver and 10 bronze) in the other events. There are more events at the Olympics than athletics and maybe India should invest in these other events to try for more success.

My mistake, when I used the word 'athletics', I meant sports in general.

But, after taking a look at the definitions of the word (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/athletics), I see that the word specifically refers to track and field events in British English.
Ok, it does mean track and field events here, the coverage is carried as "Olympic Athletics", so that was just a clash of the languages.;)

Are these Games considered a success for India? I haven't payed much attention to their fortunes in previous ones (the earliest Games I can remember was Sydney 2000). Certainly this has been brilliant for Great Britain. Our must successful since 1908, when they were amazingly corrupt. With all the bad news around at the moment, about recession and knife crime, it has been fantastic to be able to achieve success on the world stage.

China makes the mistake (though some may disagree) of allocating too much money to developing their Olympic athletes. I've read in some reports that they spend around 8 billion. That sort of money might be better spent developing their infrastructure. But, they look at the Olympics as a venue to assert their increasing dominance over the West.

I hate when China is criticized, dunno why.

GB are getting at least a couple of Bronzes in the boxing aren't they? Hopefully, they can make it even more and get a couple of Gold medals instead!

Hasn't been much to cheer about for the Aussies in the 2nd week. But Bolt has been awesome to watch, hes the complete package. Congrats to him for breaking Johnson WR in the 200m. Does show how great Johnson run was for Bolt to only be able to beat it by 0.02s and he was going all out.

Users who are viewing this thread