The 2008 Beijing Olympics Thread

The 18-year old Saina Nehwal just got into the quarterfinals of badminton, upsetting Chen Wang. It's been one of the few positives so far. She's going to come up against some tough competition, but she has the ability to pull off another upset.

WHOOHOO! Abhinav Bhindra has won the gold medal in the men's 10-metre Air Rifle event. We've already surpassed our performance at Athens. :p

Last edited:
Woke up this morning to watch Becky Adlington win that thrilling 400m freestyle race. I love the smell of victory in the morning. All the more precious when you consider that she beat a dirty yank.

India won a gold medal :happy

Bindra exceptions with you were always high :D

Go India Win More ::happy

The opening ceremony was awesome. Very few references to the communist regime, more about a celebration of the culture and history of China. The athletes' parade drags on, it always does, but they are required to have it.
To be fair though, they are hardly going to promote something that makes other countries around the world look down on them. They may clean up pollution for a couple of weeks but there will be more as soon as its over. See Berlin circa 1936.

YES! THEY'VE DONE IT!

What a game of badminton, 17-12 down and Robertson and Emms have done it! Now go and get that gold medal.

Go India, woop gold medal, haven't seen them in 28 years. Hopefully we can keep going, very unlikely though.

Geez China opening ceremony is being torn apart. First the filming of the fireworks for some parts and now pre recorded version of that song which the little girl sang.

Anyway back to the pool, that Phelps is killing the world I wish we had someone that could do that. I noticed that Rice only does the medley yet most other competitors compete in one of the 4 disciplines.

Geez China opening ceremony is being torn apart. First the filming of the fireworks for some parts and now pre recorded version of that song which the little girl sang.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing when that came on the news this evening. Not "pretty" enough? Disgraceful.

Anyway back to the pool, that Phelps is killing the world I wish we had someone that could do that.

The man is astonishing. It's incredible how one person can be so dominant in so many variations of one sport.

As for Robertson and Emms, that was just wonderful. At 17-12 I went downstairs to get some lunch but I could hear the TV in the front room with the commentator sounding very excited so I took a look and it was 17-17. Strangely I didn't walk away from the TV until it was over after that. :D

I haven't watched one single event. Why? Because I strongly disagree about a country with such appaling human rights records holding the Olympics. It is a disgrace and should never have been allowed to happen in such a country.

I haven't watched one single event. Why? Because I strongly disagree about a country with such appaling human rights records holding the Olympics. It is a disgrace and should never have been allowed to happen in such a country.

Thats not the reason. Its because Australia are once again beating not only England, but Great Britain :)

http://www.foxsports.com.au/beijing_olympics/fullmedaltally/0,27717,,00.html

.::Stevo::. added 11 Minutes and 6 Seconds later...

EDIT: Another gold to Australia. Stephanie Rice in the 200m Medley!!

I couldn't believe what I was hearing when that came on the news this evening. Not "pretty" enough? Disgraceful.

Disgraceful indeed, but not surprising with China. What is surprising is these leaks that have occurred. China is usually so up tight with this sort of stuff.

Congrats to Rice she is sure can perform under pressure. Converty has been awesome as well.

That is the wrong attitude. This is the olympic games, not a government rally. There are better ways to protest.

Hehe another blooper from the opening ceremony.

china_wideweb__470x325,0.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread