The 2008 Beijing Olympics Thread

Incredible, one of our three remaining boxers, Akhil Kumar, pulled off a stunning upset to defeat the current world champion. I can't wait to see the other two box.

Where did it all go wrong for our track cyclist. It's time we start copying the British regime as whatever they copied off us they made better.

Bolt geez he was amazing, one of the commentators said he was looking for him mum about half way through the race. Never knew height could be such a factor but his strides were killing them.

damn it man Cavic lost to Phelps by 0.01 seconds. WOW I swear he touched it 1st.

Phelps touched first from the naked eye and replays. He seems to have that knack for doing that of late. I hear their might be an appeal though.

Can't wait for tomorrow, the medley relays wrap up the swimming.

To any Indian members here who will be awake in the next couple of hours, try to watch Jitender Kumar box his way into the quarterfinals. Our two remaining boxers, Jitender and Vijender, are both underdogs, but they have the potential to cause upsets. Akhil Kumar, who's already entered the quarterfinals, was down 6-2, before coming back to defeat the current world champion. If the other two can replicate his performance, it should be very good.

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/Schedule/BX_2008-08-16.shtml for the exact timings.

Last edited:
So it's possible that 3/8 boxers in the QFs will be Indian? w00t, certainly sounds exciting!

Well, they're all competing in different weight classes, so they're in separate events. But, Akhil Kumar won gold in the last Commonwealth Games in the bantamweight division, Vijender won silver in the welterweight division, and Jitender won bronze in the flyweight division. So, they're capable of causing upsets. And they are our only medal hopes left, since Saina Nehwal lost in the quarterfinals after leading 11-5 (or something around that) in the final game of her badminton match.

What about our track team? No chances whatsoever?

I remember last time around (Athens 2004) our women were second for a while until the last woman, who was slightly on the bigger side, ruined it all. This was in the relay event btw.

I am not sure. Well, Wikipedia says our relay team qualified for the final event after finishing at 15th, but I'm not too confident about their chances. Anju George was pretty good back in the day though, but she's getting old.

Jitender Kumar moves on to the quarter-finals. He defeated his opponent by a score of 13-6. The commentators I was listening to were utter rubbish. Jitender has an unorthodox style and they continued to whine about it every time he landed punches.

pal added 20 Minutes and 53 Seconds later...

I just came across this quote from Akhil Kumar: "Dreams are not those which we see in our sleep, dreams are those which don’t let us sleep." I really hope he keeps his dreams alive on Monday.

Last edited:
How about that Rebecca Addlington? She must've had an engine installed or something (!) She absolutely massacred that field and the world record. As for our cyclists, well they're just the best!

GO TEAM GB!

Users who are viewing this thread