Top End Series

It was one bowler who sucks. And some shady captaincy.

I must say, that if Australia do lack anything its bowling before batting by far.

cricketmad09 said:
Dorey has an economy rate of less than 4 in ODD. Not too shabby.

It's more the wickets. It's all good keeping the runs down but if you aren't taking the wickets the opposition will go after you at some time. But he'll be one to watch out for in the A games to see how he goes in the shorter form of the game.

Hilfenhaus- 'nuffin but a gentle medium pacer, eh GK? :p
Nah, he's dangerous (confirmed by his great 05/06 season), with assets that'll trouble even the best in the game, but has actually been criticized because of a lack of pace, and for the fact that Australian cricket doesn't need a bowler of his nature at present-will be interesting to see how he fares in the upcoming series :)

jimbo....are u insinuating that i said that?...must have me mistaken for someone else...ask Sly...ive always been on the Hilfie wagon :)

nice and humid up north aswell so he can get some decent swing! :rolleyes:

genghis_khan said:
jimbo....are u insinuating that i said that?...must have me mistaken for someone else...ask Sly...ive always been on the Hilfie wagon :)

Haha, nah I wasn't, I actually read it in the paper during the summer :)
I know you've always been a Hilfenhaus fan- one of your first posts was in support of him, before I cancelled it out with an anti-Hilf comment! ;)
And if I remember correctly "Ben Hilfenhaus......watch this space" was an old signature of yours!

genghis_khan said:
nice and humid up north aswell so he can get some decent swing! :rolleyes:

They've got alot'a rubbish pitches up north, too! :rolleyes:

jeez you have a good memory! :)

actually my old sig was "Hilf is in the Haus"......but you were close enough ;) haha

Hilfenhaus has talent in the longer form of the game just like Dorey. But shorter form there might be problems. Not many medium pace swing bowlers go well in the shorter form of the game. Hopefully he proves me wrong cause we need some quality ODI bowlers.

genghis_khan said:
jeez you have a good memory! :)

actually my old sig was "Hilf is in the Haus"......but you were close enough ;) haha

Yeah, I remember that as well, but I'm sure there was a 'watch this space' one too!
Anyway- actually plenty of medium pacers do succeed at one-day level, and plenty don't, just like with anything. If he proves to be a truly quality prospect, he shouldn't have too much of an issue with regards to transferring form from one version of the game to another, but you never know.
And talent is never confined to one form of the game; it's still technically the same sport, but bridging the gap and adapting is the main problem, and how mentally attuned you are. But then again, you're right Syl, 'cos some just aren't moulded for one particular brand.

Last edited:
The problem for medium pacers is they can't swing it everywhere. Like in India they will struggle and on flat decks. They will be as useful as a Martyn or Hussey bowling.
Some guys like Vass and Harris have succeed espeically Vass but Vass has his bad days on the flat surfaces.

Vass bowled well on the Darwin wicket, 5 wickets for Sri Lanka.

Hilfenhaus' ING Cup was nothing compared to his Pura Cup last summer, but it was his debut season. He has enormous potential as we saw throughout the Pura Cup....grabbed that 7/58 against NSW in their penultimate match iirc. :)

Mind you......i'd expect him to be selected behind Johnson, Tait and Dorey.

Last edited:
Bloody CA Site, deosn't have any scores.....Maybe I should of gone down to watch after all...

Users who are viewing this thread