West Indies in England 2009

Have to say Bopara is one lucky man at the moment. He's survived so many chances and in fairness he probably deserves them considering his maiden series against SL. I kinda see Bopara as the 60-70s man in the Ashes. I doubt we'll squander too many chances like the Windies did. But the English batting looking to be in form bar probably Pietersen who looks no where near his best. Probably should give Pietersen the openning position in the next innings just to get him some form (if the Windies don't stage a miracle). I don't know if anyone saw it but i agree with Hussain (and Fletcher) that the Aussie bowling is looking quite special but its the batting thats going to be suspect. A few men out of form, one or two suspect against off spin bowling and a hit and miss Haddin. If Johnson and Siddle bowl the way they did in South Africa it should be a blood fest in England.

Well either way Chanderpaul and Sarwan need to make a massive partnership. The way i see it they need to make 400ish, do a Taylor and roll England for 50 or so and then get Gayle to chase down the target as it were a twenty20. Can it be down? Its England. Anything can happen. Is it going to happen? Lol

Nice post karnog

I'm not sure if you're a fan of Tony cozier, but ill like to invite you and other members to read a few passages from his latest article tittled " A worrying trend"

England's 569 for 6 was their fourth declared first-innings total over 540 in the last five Tests between the teams, following their 566 for 9 at the ARG, 600 for 6 at Kensington and 546 for 6 at Queen's Park Oval in the preceding series.

It is a sequence created, in part, by bland pitches and faulty catching. Both featured prominently again here with the usually reliable Denesh Ramadin, clearly favouring a painful right hand sustained in the first Test, enduring a horrid time. But just as significant is the bowling's general lack of penetration and control and, in this match, its indiscipline.
Denesh is probably the best wicket keeper in world cricket, but as tony pointed out he is suffering with his right hand right now.

Ewards and
Jerome Taylor make a formidable pace combination but Taylor has not been himself since his awesome 5 for 11 spell at Sabina Park in February that sent England tumbling to 51 all out and defeat. The hip complaint that eventually kept him out of the final Test in the Caribbean might be the cause. His rhythm is not the same and his speed is correspondingly down. The West Indies need the real Jerome Taylor back.

True, plus Jerome taylor was recently in a car accident in Jamaica.

I'm very happy to be reading Tony sprinkling a bit of reality on this current english team, as limited as the WI bowling attack is at the moment they are able to created alot of chances, unfortunately they weren't taken.

More chances were missed yesterday, six in all increasing the number in just two Tests to a dozen. It was a repeat of the Barbados Test when England's 660 for 6 would have been no more than 350 had the catches stuck.

No wonder Ravi Bopara and others have prospered. They can expect no such generosity from Australia later in the season, the series for which England regards this as a warm-up.
Luck won't help England facing the aussie team. Thanks for the reminder.

sammy added 1 Minutes and 37 Seconds later...

I think you should experience an international at Lord's at least once. I've done two county games, both in crap weather, with crap beer on the pumps. Would I pay ?175 for it? Do I get a free night with Charlize Theron? No, then I think not.

Good day for England, Durham has always been a good cricket wicket for the last 2-3 seasons. 3 down 17 to go, half of those will be thrown away by the WI, so I think we can win barring the weather.

Well if the umpire continue to give WI batsman out wrongly while giving bopora life then ofcourse Eng can win.

Last edited:
Denesh is probably the best wicket keeper in world cricket, but as tony pointed out he is suffering with his right hand right now

You have to be kidding right.

I love the way he can still be biased towards a rubbish team. It's very funny to read. Ramdin is nowhere near the best keeper in the world, there are 2 guys outside the England team that have better glove skills than Ramdin. McCullum's also better, so's Jayawardene and I'd say Dhoni's better as well.

Anyone else find it extremely interesting watching Swann bowling to left handers? Great fun

As I speak a chance possible catch but plumb LWB watching the replay.

Outside the line actually so good decision from the Umpire.

Themer added 7 Minutes and 18 Seconds later...

Huzzar well bowled Broad got it to straighten England will want to really run through them hear as the Weathers not looking good for later today.

Last edited:
How's Sarwan on 89, they were right when they said he made it look easy.

Revising and cricket is great. Rather be playing mind.

Hussain is cracking me up going on about how you need a bowler like Broad to be going at five runs an over because he brings a varition to your bowling attack.

It was a good ball to get Chanderpaul with but still, going at almost five isn't what you need.

Ramdin isn't that bad with the gloves, he would be in the top four. He can pull of some very good catches.

Broad's bowled very well this morning and what Nasser said was fundamentally right you need a bowler who bowls more aggresively looking for wickets rather than bothering about his run rate.

Well played Sarwan aswell great innings

Sarwan gets his century, but West Indies need to score a lot more runs to avoid the follo-on.

Great spell of bowling this by England in general, Swann's bowling well at one end whilst Broads kept up the aggression at the other.

Cracking knock from Sarwan but Broad gets the big wickets as per. Hopefully can have them batting again today but Ramdin will be tough.

Broad's turning into a class act. Seems to be turning himself into a genuine partnership breaker, and always seems to pick up the key wickets of the big batsmen. His average is slowly coming down and he's slowly making the most of his immense talent. Good signs for England!

sammy, sammy, where are you, sammy? Are you watching, sammy? Are you watching your team get hammered, sammy?

I'm not even that bothered but this has to be rubbed in.

Currently all I can see is this ridiculous contraption of arms and legs making a mockery of the game of Test cricket.

Users who are viewing this thread