1st Test: England v Australia

I think that has to be England's day, while Australia got the 7 wickets, they were too expensive in getting them. If they can make another 50 tomorrow morning, then Australia are in a really tough position to bat imo.

I tried posting but it screwed up.

Anyway pretty pleased with that. Big toss to win looking at the pitch. Also Fred looks like he's turning up :banana2

Pietersen is a goon.

If Australia find a way to bat to their potential, then England could well be a tonne short. England have still given themselves a chance of a dominant score, but they have to keep batting a while yet to actually have one.

Has been a great day. Hopefully, I could catch most of the action. So far, even contest. Having said that, the match is slightly in favour of the Aussies, though. If they dismiss those remaining three batsmen for cheap tomorrow, England will be under pressure. And another thing I'll add here, I'm really impressed with Ben Hilfenhaus. Although I've heard a lot about him, this is the first time I watched him live. A very good prospect. No wonder he has been the most economical bowler today. Didn't let Australia miss Lee.

Everyone has mentioned Ben Hilfenhaus and it does seem a very good decision was made not to drop him in favour of Clark. However, if there are bowlers with golden arms or a knack of picking up wickets, then Hilfenhaus is surely the reverse. As pleasant as it is to watch him bowl, his wickets today suggest nothing much of the swing, seam, pace or accuracy he had. On days like this, he needs to convert frustration into devastation. Greg Matthews mentioned his off-cutter could be employed more as a foil to the outswinger. That would work if he's looking to test the batsman more while bowling in the avenue of apprehension, but if you look at some of the lines Dale Steyn will produce when the ball is moving, I think Hilfenhaus is just not aggressive enough when it's his day. The ability is there, he just needs to use it more effectively.

The ability is there, he just needs to use it more effectively.

Yep. Agree. Well, he's new to test cricket. Give him some more time, let him first gather some experience, and he'll improve, I'm sure. This guy has a lot of talent. It was a real treat to watch him bowl today.

I thought Siddle outbowled him personally. Was very unfortunate to only pick up the 1 wicket. He'll bowl worse than that and pick up far more than 1 wicket in his Test career. Was impressed with him, even if he was a little wayward at times.

If they dismiss those remaining three batsmen for cheap tomorrow, England will be under pressure.

I think its the other way round though. I think if England somehow sneak upto 400, then the bowlers could really have a crack at the Aussie batting.

Good day though. I dont think I have watched 30-40 overs of continuous cricket for a long time, but totally worth it. Strauss, Bopara and KP gifted their wickets though. Good to see MPV and SJ in the stands as well.

I fancy our bowlers (not like that, Gas) on this pitch against the Aussies. They have a strong line up, but I think there are faults to be found and pounded.

Fairly happy with the day, wish some of the top order didn't throw their wickets away like they did. Siddle did well at the end.

England scored 336-7. Personally I would say that England has the advantage.

Siddle was the best bowler for Australia in my eyes as well, Dan. Bearing in mind Hilfenhaus was quite impressive considering I haven't seen much of him before. Still a little annoyed at Pietersen's choice of shot to a bowl that was outside offstump but these things happen. Hopefully we can get a few more runs tomorrow and a few early wickets.

Pietersen should blatently have played an Eoin Morgan reverse hockey shot tbh. Would have been epic, and he might not have gotten himself out.

Didn't think Australia's attack was particularly threatening if I'm honest. Just a shame we're more likely to hit the bad balls to a fielder than the boundary.

Users who are viewing this thread