1st Test: England v Australia

Collingwood doesn't have the technique to bat 3.

And don't tell me you lot forgot the celebrations of Old Trafford 2005.

Yeah but of course it's okay for Australians to celebrate a draw; they're different from everyone else remember? It's okay for them to to employ a bit of gamesmanship such as having the wicket keeper keeping to the spinners with his hands in front of the stumps but when the other teams play slightly outside of the spirit of the game somehwat they're just dirty cheating scumbags.

Still I think we could all agree that it would be absolutely hilarious if India would have bottled it like Australia did yesterday. Now that would be something worth seeing! Nevermind effegies, they'd actually burn the players.

The last day at Old Trafford was remarkable, because at various points in the day, there was the feeling that the game could have headed in any direction. Interestingly, that game, which was heavily rain affected, was only a session shorter than this one.

employ a bit of gamesmanship such as having the wicket keeper keeping to the spinners with his hands in front of the stumps.

Haddin's hands where technically only in front of the stumps after Strauss had hit the ball, it was perfectly legal.

And like I said earlier, having a wicket keeper move his hands literally only a few cm's over the stumps whilst he is watching the ball off the edge of the bat isn't cheating. It's against the rules and it's a mistake from the keeper - but there is no way it's a deliberate ploy.

Last edited:
What you have to ask yourselves is would it really have made any difference? I doubt it.

Edit: As someone on SSN is saying right now: the difference would've been negligible.

MasterBlaster76 added 2 Minutes and 0 Seconds later...

You are acting as if you won which you clearly didn't. Hardly won a session at that.

No we didn't, but it feels like a win to the lads and that's far more important than the fact we only drew. Make no mistake, England can play a whole lot better than that.

No doubt we did waste some time but it doesn't take away from the fact Australia had 11 overs to bowl at the last pair, and when they first started, we were 7 runs behind!

No doubt we did waste some time but it doesn't take away from the fact Australia had 11 overs to bowl at the last pair, and when they first started, we were 7 runs behind!

Exactly! Panesar/Anderson simply did what Lee/McGrath did at Old Trafford (?) in 2005. And I'll tell you what, if I was an Aussie fan, I'd be furious with Ponting for bowling North instead of someone like that nutter Siddle!

Looks like this 'batting buddy' system that England are using is paying dividends - Anderson has always been OK, but that's the most solid in defence I've ever seen Monty!

What does it matter? The allocated overs were bowled.

England should be thanking their stars Aleem Dar was the umpire :p

If you had another Doctrove at the other end, Australia's intimidating appeals would probably have worked.

What does it matter? The allocated overs were bowled.

Precisely. They were bowled and we survived. Get over it, Ponting! I mean, what is it with this guy? 2005 and he's crying about us bringing on a substitute fielder (who happens to score a run out) and now he's moaning about this - something that wouldn't make any difference either!

Last edited:
Is there anything in the world more satisfying than watching a desperate Ponting failing to bowl out a stubborn English tail end.
Thanks for letting the chaps claw a draw Ponting.
We love it !

Attachments

• crit_ponting.jpg
    crit_ponting.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 5
Exactly! Panesar/Anderson simply did what Lee/McGrath did at Old Trafford (?) in 2005. And I'll tell you what, if I was an Aussie fan, I'd be furious with Ponting for bowling North instead of someone like that nutter Siddle!

Looks like this 'batting buddy' system that England are using is paying dividends - Anderson has always been OK, but that's the most solid in defence I've ever seen Monty!

TBF to Ponting he was trying to save time to get as many overs as possible in at the end, to give his spinners the chance to bowl out our final 2 on a 5th day turning pitch. They'd have probably lost an over if Siddle bowled one of North's overs, and Monty and Jimmy played him quite well anyway.

As for Monty, he did indeed look solid. Actually looked technically decent in defence, he's certainly no Chris Martin, made a few runs for Northants the other week as well, 38* or something. He'll be in for his batting soon :p

He should at least have used Clarke instead of North. How was the general reaction in Oz today? Were people angry or just heartbroken?
Evertonfan makes a good point about what would have happened if this was India lol (one of the downsides of being a "god" over there).

He should at least have used Clarke instead of North. How was the general reaction in Oz today? Were people angry or just heartbroken?
Evertonfan makes a good point about what would have happened if this was India lol (one of the downsides of being a "god" over there).
Oh just piss off.

I reckon Ponting should have put on the fast bowlers for the last few overs. He should have had them bowling yorkers I reckon. I don't think Anderson and Monty would have survived that.

Users who are viewing this thread