2014 World Cup Group D: Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
England really should have gone with Flanagan over Johnson. Not that the former is anything special, but atleast he gives his all and his performances have been country miles ahead to that of the overpaid, overrated latter.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Absolutely gutted for the OX. Hope he makes a quick recovery as we desperately need him in this team. Looks likely that he'll miss the first game against Italy, I just hope that Roy doesn't go all defensive and put Milner in on the right flank :facepalm

Won't get to see the final friendly tomorrow tonight (work :noway ) so here's my team for Italy...

060614082228.png

I actually liked the look of Rooney out on the left. Barkley playing just behind the striker is an absolute must.

War

Chairman of Selectors
BpjR75CCEAE7ysn.png

Same team as vs Peru. Welbeck on the left boringly *sighs* - once he doesn't play next week vs Italy in that position I'm good.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
Didn't see the whole game (just some highlights) how did we do?

I agree with you War, Welbeck doesn't deserve a starting berth ahead of thee game against Italy, it's got to be either Sterling or Rooney out on the left. Also if Barkley doesn't start against the Italians then i'll be very annoyed.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Sturridge missed 2 big chances, but overall as Hodgson said in the post match interview it was a good worth forgetting. Honduras put in some ridiculous tackle, that really could have caused injury. And, the referee was pretty poor.

But it helped prepare us for the games vs Uruguay & Costa Rica styles, because those Central & South America teams play that way to get under your skin & the referees will be different to that of Europe. So England will no doubt have to keep their cool in the heath of the moment down their.

Last edited:

ParkedTheBus

International Coach
Profile Flag
Australia
Sturridge missed 2 big chances, but overall as Hodgson said in the post match interview it was a good worth forgetting. Honduras put in some ridiculous tackle, that really could have caused injury. And, the referee was pretty

Elaborate :p

War

Chairman of Selectors
^^

Ha typo, meant "pretty poor"

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
5-3 win against Fluminense. Haven't seen the game or any of the goals yet, but I heard Perin and the second string defence had a shocker.

Anyway, the good old Pescara boys under Zeman doing the job so far in the warmups - Verratti against Ireland and Lux, Immobile and Insigne yesterday. Will be really interesting to see if it's Balotelli or Immobile upfront against England.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Soaring on the wings of the little owl - ESPN FC

quote said:
For the first time, Prandelli played Pirlo and Verratti together from the start in a 4-1-3-1-1. Many expect to see Italy use the doppio regista tactic against England. In the heat and humidity of Manaus, the Azzurri's opponents could be made to think they're seeing double. Because with Verratti on the pitch it might feel like Italy have two Pirlos. That tactical novelty could unsettle England

Doppio Registra! Italy trying to scare people ha..

Last edited:

War

Chairman of Selectors
I could have egg on my face at the end of this, but if Hodgson picks a real attacking team, I get a feeling England could do to Italy what they did to Holland in EURO 96.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
And what would you class as an attacking team selection War? Who would you have in the team?

War

Chairman of Selectors
And what would you class as an attacking team selection War? Who would you have in the team?

Still believe a basic copy of Liverpool's 4-4-2 diamond formation is right way to go with all if not most of the Barkely/Sterling/Lallana starting & Welbeck not for example.

We know the back 5, so a front 6 something line this:

--------------------Rooney--------------Sturridge---------------

------------------------------Lallana---------------------------

-------------------Barkley------------------Henderson---------

-------------------------------Gerrard-------------------------

Lallana while he can play on both wings, I believe we would get the best out of him as our # 10 "triquartista" - he would provide some lethal passes to the strikers in the role. But I would not mind Sterling playing as the "10" providing the some pacy running between the lines.

This formation also allows both Rooney/Sturridge to play in their preferred striker roles & not be used in wing position.

Would start Barkely would start in a deeper mid-field role instead of Wilshere. Not sure Jack is a 90 minute player based on his current fitness - while Barkley could take out the entire Italian mid-field if he turns run from deep.

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
I feel this is England's time to shine. Expectation is at an all time low, the team is young and hungry with plenty of flair. They also have a tough group to prepare them for the knockouts. I can see the semis being a definite possibility.

Rooney has underperformed like hell in World Cups and needs to step up too.

Users who are viewing this thread