4th Test: England v Australia at Chester-le-Street Aug 9-13, 2013

Ha, got too aggressive see. Deserves to be given out for that too.

Hotspot seems to be taking about 15 minutes each time for the 3rd Umpire to see 356 replays before he's sure that they missed it by a mile.

Typical that all the reviews would go our way when we can't win the series. Anyway, happy for Lyon to have 4fa. Hope he gets 5

Bairstow just does not look good enough at this level really. Which is a surprise when he's bashing County attacks around quite easily. He wouldn't be the first to follow that route though.

There just seems to be something wrong with the mind-set at the moment. They block everything out and put themselves under pressure and thus get out to risky shots. Rotate the strike, manoeuvre the field, don't go 70 minutes without scoring a run.

I think the problem is, it's all or nothing. Too many of the batsmen can only either be aggressive, or defend. Cook is good at putting away bad balls, but he can't move the good balls for singles. Trott is the one who is quite good at it and he's done well. But the likes of Prior and Bairstow can only seemingly do one or the other, that's the issue. There's no middle ground, which all the good players have.

----------

And you'd say Pietersen can push the singles, but his ego doesn't let him do that for too long, before he tries to go big.

england do tend to play a bangladesh brand of cricket when they're trying to be careful. block 20 balls in a row, panic and realise you have to hit something, decide to hit the next ball for a 4, slash a decent delivery straight to a fielder, repeat

Exactly. It's like they have no answer to bowling which is always in the right area. I mean look at Watson. He just strolls up, swings it down at low 80s mph and we just can't score off it, because it's in the right place. He's not blowing us apart, but we still can't score off of him.

Good to see Bird unleashed, bowled tightly apart from the end and got the big wicket of Cook. Harris seemed off his game, that opening spell was very unharris like. Lyon has taken that dropping on the chin and come back better then ever.

Thought Lyon bowled much better in the previous test with little luck, than yesterday. The England batsmen as Colin says played too many 'get out' shots when Lyon bowled.

First look at Jackson Bird yesterday, looks a very impressive talent to me! Can he bat? :D

Lyon made my day i hope he gets the last wicket and finally i am happy that Bird is playing but still i dont understand why Harris is playing instead of Starc when he is not fully fit

Lyon 4-0 Three Lions :D

Lyons Maid a match out of this one, and a monkey out of some of the England batsmen. re the England approach, I think they aren't quite sure whether to stick or twist, they like to go guns blazing on good batting tracks but here they seem to be carrying on from the last match and just overcautious.

They then help build pressure on themselves and disaster, I mean 57/1 at lunch was it, not nearly enough runs. Cook and Trott trying to play themselves into form doesn't help of course, Root and Bairstow relative newbies still unsure in their respective roles if not overall, and Bell well his end should bring the two bolded words together to describe him for his shot.

We were ok, then fell away. When under pressure England aren't great, I've said so before. They were in the last Test and were half put under pressure by good aussie bowling, half by their own indecisiveness. I think par on this pitch is around 300-350, there wasn't much there in my book to suggest you should be struggling to bat three sessions, and when you win the toss and bat you don't expect to be (nearly) bowled out on the first day.

England need to focus on bowling their way back in, I think C5 summed it up when they said they haven't made more than 400, and only Bell and Root are averaging more than 34 in the series with the bat.

Still Cook, Trott and Prior have yet to make a truly significant impact on the series with the bat, Cook with three fifties in the series of which they read 50, 62 and 51 - really he should have gone on.

On the positive side three bowlers in Swann, Bresnan and Anderson are averaging 26-28 in the series, but maybe the series is turning on that 3rd Test and look at the aussie bowling averages and you have Harris 20.62, Siddle 22.82 and Starc 27.13, maybe if the aussies can start putting scores on the board then this can end 2-2.

England's batting has managed 643 runs for 22 wickets in the past near three innings at a rate of 2.57 rpo and 29.23 runs per wicket. Contrast that with the first two Tests, 1300 runs at 3.07 rpo and 35.14 runs per wicket. May not seem a lot, but half a run per over quicker scoring and an extra six runs per wicket is 59 runs per innings.

Big opportunity for the aussies to win this match and pressure England in the 5th Test. May not be the Ashes at stake, but the aussies will probably win the reverse series with plenty of momentum on their side and England in tatters if they can level the series.

People (media/ex-players/current players etc) should have STFU talking about whether a whitewash was possible, hell it was only 2-0 at the time....................

----------

Lyon made my day i hope he gets the last wicket and finally i am happy that Bird is playing but still i dont understand why Harris is playing instead of Starc when he is not fully fit

Lyons Maid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

stat of the day, NINE England players got to double figures, only two passed fifty and no one passed 51. Most got a start, none went on enough for a big score.

Many moons ago I came up with a rule of thumb of sorts, basically most innings will comprise one big innings and two supporting innings. So in a total of 300 you might expect reasonably to see one big fifty/hundred and two supporting scores of around 50. England have put on two supporting scores, there is no big innings and that is why they're about 80-100 runs shy of a par score.

Obviously sometimes it varies, a hundred and two big fifties in a 350-400 etc, and sometimes several hundreds make it less so, but this is more for your normal pitch par score type innings not scores well past 500 into 600s.

Boy England really have lost their mojo with the DRS.

Same old problem for us opener and 3 gone in no time. Only difference Clarke coming in 2 down instead of 3.

Users who are viewing this thread