Australia in England

What will be outcome of the AshesTest series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well i still dont think the ashes are staying here in England.

And those of you talking about a full strength aussie team. You would have to go back a couple of years to find that.

Annihilation66 said:
Well i still dont think the ashes are staying here in England.

And those of you talking about a full strength aussie team. You would have to go back a couple of years to find that.

You only need to go back a couple of matches (3rd test) to find a full strengh Aussie team. maybe not in form but its fair to say they were at full strengh i think.

Australia will be under pressure the most, all england needs is a draw, but winning will finesh the fantastic series off. Like I siad england wants the full strentgh aussie side to play, and england will just trash them around, and dont give 2 hoots whoever the bowlers am.

Eddie said:
9 wickets at lords on a pitch taylor made for his bowling (dodgy bounce on a length)
5 wickets in Englands 2nd innings all when england were slogging (mostly for sixes)

He's won't do anything at the oval, cos its the flatest pitch of the series..

last time i checked mcgrath played in the natwest challenge 3rd match in the oval and on the best batting track in the country he went and bowled 4 maidens in a row and he had vaughan dropped by gillespie of his bowling and england only managed to score a below par 228 off their 50 overs plus they had 20 overs of fielding restrictions too and australia chased englands total with 15 overs to spare

mcgrath is definatley a danger if he plays at the oval, he will definatley keep englands runrate down, the england batsman can not get too over confident in playing him

infact if mcgrath plays i think australia will have an excellent chance to win that match

Last edited:
I am really confident that england will win the 5th test, Its not too long untill we find if englands got the ashes back or not!!!!.

Yes McGrath could be the key, but then again, he didnt have too good a time at old trafford after his first injury, despite taking 5 wickets. These 5 wickets were wen england were really going for it.

I think he is more than likely to play but England have learnt from there lessons in the first test match.

McGrath is always the key. He gives direction to the Aussie attack. He may not take wickets but guys like Lee and Tait look up to him. Having McGrath in the side helps with the confidence.

Well before this series happened I thought the best what Australia had was Skippy the Kangeroo! But now it's Shane Warne! :laugh.

From joking aside I surely think Warne will cause some trouble again to the England batting order. Especially now is rumoured that MacGill will play also. That's mean a spin friendly pitch then.

Probably Simon Jones will be fit by then, since they have put him in that oxygen chamber. And I still think that Collingwood should play for Giles or Hoggard.

My Australia Team

Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Martyn
Clarke
Katich
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Gillespie
McGrath (Tait if he isn't 100%)
12-Tait

The same team which won the first test presuming McGrath is good to play.

Last edited:
I wouldn't risk Dizzy. England have spotted a weakness in him already. The rest I can bear with just! Hayden, Martyn will be playing for their careers in this test.

Mine:

Langer
Katich
Ponting
Martyn
Clarke
Gilchrist
Watson
Warne
Lee
MacGill
Tait

Assuming McGrath isn't fit

Reasoning- Hayden can't buy a run at the moment, Katich has a great temperament for opening and has done so successfully before. Watson is a very good batsman, and I really doubt that his bowling could be worse than what Kasper is dishing up at the moment. MacGill can have Kaspers place simply because I believe that he's the next best bowler in the country, and with Watson we still have three seamers.

So OUT: Hayden, Kasprowicz
IN: Watson, MacGill

Net gain: A batsman that can actually bat, a seamer and a leg spinner to replace Hayden (self explanitory) and a medium pacer that looks anything but threatening. With that said, I don't think there will be any changes bar McGrath if he's fit because the selectors are all too willing to let players spend all their loyalty tickets from past performances before they make the hard decisions.

I wouldn't mind that team and it could happen. Hussey is out of the picture since he is preparing for the Aus A trip. I agree that although Watson isn't a great bowler yet he would do about the same job as Kaspa. It also gets rid of Hayden. Maybe Katich can do what Langer did during our last Ashes in England. :D

And we don't have to think about putting Hayden back in the side till the Windies tour, because God knows, we will want MacGill against the World XI at the SCG.

When Watson learns a few more tricks and if he can get a good run without injury he could really become quite valuable to the team. His pace is handy and he can really bat well, so he is suited to the side when MacGill is playing.

Martyn will not be playing for his career. If he is, then it is politics, not form. He has had a terrific run of bad luck, but this guy was unstoppable in the last few series. A dominant player against Sri Lanka, India, Pakistan and New Zealand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread