Australia in England

What will be outcome of the AshesTest series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a big risk if the pitch is like this to pick MacGill. He could end up like another Dizzy. Watson I might think about player. Martyn would be the unlucky batter for Watson.

England would fear facing 2 leg-spinners, better then nothing and dizzy is out of form.

Hayden should be put of the squad his gone now like 29 innings without a century, and has been easy to get him out by the english bowlers.

I really wouldnt change the team drastically. I would have liked to see Symonds or watson in the team earlier but now i just think this team which as performed in the past should be left to perform now. And im sure they will :D

aussie1st said:
Its a big risk if the pitch is like this to pick MacGill. He could end up like another Dizzy. Watson I might think about player. Martyn would be the unlucky batter for Watson.

I don't know how to say this, but I think you're an idiot if you think Martyn will get dropped on the basis of his batting in this series.

aussie1st said:
There is no chance of Marto being dropped, nor should there be- Hayden should but won't of course, thanks to another belting around of a weak attack (wtf does this game prove, we already know he's a flat track bully, drop him anyway)

Last edited:
brad352 said:
There is no chance of Marto being dropped, nor should there be- Hayden should but won't of course, thanks to another belting around of a weak attack (wtf does this game prove, we already know he's a flat track bully, drop him anyway)
i dont think its worth dropping Hayden just yet. He has been inproving slowly and i understand why the selectors are keeping him in. HOdge looks in good touch though but as you said its a flat track.

All i say is give him a couple more matches and asses the situation then.

This tour match is insanely stupid. Martyn, Clarke, Warne Ponting and McGrath got by far the better deal, who would know if they're nursing hangovers?

Actually, hangovers could explain the first day's play...

Essex 502/4d (105 ov)
Australians 561/6 (95 ov)

Match Drawn

Last edited:
angryangy said:
This tour match is insanely stupid. Martyn, Clarke, Warne Ponting and McGrath got by far the better deal, who would know if they're nursing hangovers?

Actually, hangovers could explain the first day's play...

Essex 502/4d (105 ov)
Australians 561/6 (95 ov)

Match Drawn
yes but atleast the touring team gets some practice.

they were not made for there to be a result. but i do agree that i think there should only be 2 innings so there might actually be a result

It doesn't even count as a first class game (being two days long). The thing is, they might as well spend a few hours in the nets, because in this game, they didn't have to deal with most of the factors that complicate a normal match.

I mean, a result would be interesting but the concept is to assist match fitness and I saw virtually nothing from the stats that would determine who is in good form at the moment. Let's face it; 150 retired? That guy must be dominating the series... oh wait.

irottev said:
That batting Line up of Australias could score that many aswell. It has to be a stunning pitch.

I told you so, I told you so. At least Australia bettered them. Bowling has been an issue all tour.

And on Dizzy. His bowling isn't THAT bad. He just isn't getting wickets. Out of all the Australian bowlers he had the lowest economy rate. Thats not a problem. I guess he just isn't getting much luck. The first test he got hardly any overs (14) for some reason. Second game he stood up and took the new ball. He bowled well in my opinion. 2 wickets in the first innings when he got a decent amount of overs. Again only 8 in the second innings. 3rd match, yeah well he did have a bad game. Probably was a good idea to try Tait instead. With the break and practice between games he should have improved surely. He diddn't take a wicket in that county game but who did? It was a batters paradice and he only went at a little over 3/over. I th9ink with his experiance and ability he deserves a chance over Kasprowicz who has been much worse.

Last edited:
angryangy said:
I don't know how to say this, but I think you're an idiot if you think Martyn will get dropped on the basis of his batting in this series.

Why not. If you want Hayden dropped same should apply to Martyn. Yes he has been getting out to poor decisions but if he was inform these decisions wouldn't happen because he would play better shots. He runs out himself, runs out Ponting, plays silly shots to get out after getting good starts (like Hayden). Tell me from that why he shouldn't be dropped. If you say past form then tell me why Hayden and Dizzy should be dropped. You cannot give double standards.

irottev said:
I told you so, I told you so. At least Australia bettered them. Bowling has been an issue all tour.

And on Dizzy. His bowling isn't THAT bad. He just isn't getting wickets. Out of all the Australian bowlers he had the lowest economy rate. Thats not a problem. I guess he just isn't getting much luck. The first test he got hardly any overs (14) for some reason. Second game he stood up and took the new ball. He bowled well in my opinion. 2 wickets in the first innings when he got a decent amount of overs. Again only 8 in the second innings. 3rd match, yeah well he did have a bad game. Probably was a good idea to try Tait instead. With the break and practice between games he should have improved surely. He diddn't take a wicket in that county game but who did? It was a batters paradice and he only went at a little over 3/over. I th9ink with his experiance and ability he deserves a chance over Kasprowicz who has been much worse.

The main problem for Dizzy is he doesn't look threatning. Since his drop in pace he hasn't looked the same. I would let Dizzy go back to State cricket and let him regain some form before he comes back into the side.

aussie1st said:
Why not. If you want Hayden dropped same should apply to Martyn. Yes he has been getting out to poor decisions but if he was inform these decisions wouldn't happen because he would play better shots. He runs out himself, runs out Ponting, plays silly shots to get out after getting good starts (like Hayden). Tell me from that why he shouldn't be dropped. If you say past form then tell me why Hayden and Dizzy should be dropped. You cannot give double standards.

Jesus Christ, now that really is something I can chew on.

Damien Martyn recent Test series averages

2003-2004 SRL v AUS 55.50
2004-2005 AUS v SR 50.75
2004-2005 Border-Gavaskar Trophy 55.50
2004-2005 Trans-Tasman Trophy 41.50
2004-2005 AUS v PAK 103.33
2004-2005 NZL v AUS 78.33
2005 The Ashes 21.00

also ODI batting this year

22 matches, 718 runs @ 51.29

Matthew Hayden recent Test series averages

2003-2004 SRL v AUS 47.17
2004-2005 AUS v SRL 72.00
2004-2005 Border-Gavaskar Trophy 30.50
2004-2005 Trans-Tasman Trophy 44.00
2004-2005 AUS v PAK 32.00
2004-2005 NZL v AUS 31.60
2005 The Ashes 22.50

ODIs this year

2005 16 matches 482 @ 32.13

Up until Edgbaston, Martyn had been playing excellent cricket, so you're effectively comparing Martyn's three or four inconsistent games with Hayden's three or four series of inconsistent games. Hayden has been shaky for far longer, even if he has been scoring consistently. Martyn's highest Test score was against NZ six months ago. Hayden's last Test century was now over a year ago.

I do think Hayden's next Test century is only arm's length away. However there is no hope in Hell that Damien Martyn will get dropped, short of an injury.

The main problem with comparing these stats is that all of those attacks have not been up to the standards of England. Now that our batters have been faced with a good attack they are struggling.

After this series all may go back to normal but the problem is these attacks aren't up to the English. So everytime we play England these batters will struggle.

I know Martyn won't get dropped though just look how long Hayden has been given. I'm willing to give both this test. Hayden if he fails again has to go, Martyn end of this season. If he can't go well against a team below England's standard he should go just like the Waughs were dropped. These games are at home where there is hardly any swing, and lots of bounce so there is no more excuses.

Last edited:
aussie1st said:
The main problem with comparing these stats is that all of those attacks have not been up to the standards of England. Now that our batters have been faced with a good attack they are struggling.

After this series all may go back to normal but the problem is these attacks aren't up to the English. So everytime we play England these batters will struggle.

I know Martyn won't get dropped though just look how long Hayden has been given. I'm willing to give both this test. Hayden if he fails again has to go, Martyn end of this season. If he can't go well against a team below England's standard he should go just like the Waughs were dropped. These games are at home where there is hardly any swing, and lots of bounce so there is no more excuses.
I agree Hayden has to be given this test and Martyn another couple. But for future series against weaker bowling attacks you would want Hayden in your attack as he can take apart most other attacks in the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread