Australia in England

What will be outcome of the AshesTest series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Dear 20mins play, 2 wickets down and its raining again:crying

PROBLEMS PROBLEMS PROBLEMS

Oh dear, what a hammering, after all the hype we go and show ourselves up and are on the wrong end of an absolute pasting. To say we are the 2nd ranked team in the world and the aussies are 1st, it just shows the gap between us is still quite substancial. Our bowlers showed we can bowl them out twice but were the problems lie are within the batting department.
1. Batters out of form (Vaughan, Freddie just to name 2)
2. POOR fielding
3. No body can cope with McGrath or Warne
On the final point, the only person in the team who can read either is Pietersen, and to say he was on debut and had probably only faced Warne before, he played amazingly well but if a debutant is the only person who can read them, what does this say about the rest of our batters?? All this supposed homework they had done on them has gone for nothing here and we are in desperate need for one of them to pick up an injury otherwise all our bowlers hard work is going to count for nothing.

GRAEME THORPE SOS!!!

I have just seen Geraint Jones dismissal in the second innings, that was absolutely dreadful, for me thats the last straw for him, time for Read or Prior to step up because Jones has had an absolute stinker in this match and has not done anything with the bat since he made his debut last year. The selectors have a lot to think about and its not good.

Last edited:
A combined total of about 30 from 7 of our players in both innings. I feel that the England middle order is too samey. We don't need attacking stroke players like Vaughan and Bell against Australia. We need someone who can chip away at the singles and not lose his wicket cheaply i.e. Graham Thorpe.
I really believe that dropping Thorpe will be a fatal mistake to England this series. Lets play both him and Pieterson and drop Bell. We really need someone with Thorpe's experience and without him I can see our batters struggling all series.

The more I think about it, the more I think Stuart Law could be a useful call up. Plenty of experience and knows more about the Aussies than anyone in the England set up.

Maybe I'm biased though.

andrew_nixon said:
The more I think about it, the more I think Stuart Law could be a useful call up. Plenty of experience and knows more about the Aussies than anyone in the England set up.

Maybe I'm biased though.
Thats not a bad idea, its just a shame he's too old for the selectors to even consider him, going with youth against lesser sides may be good but not when your playing Australia

I shouldn't think there will be any changes (barring injury) for the Edgbaston test. As has been said though it's a great shame Thorpe was dropped, as he was a fine batsman and player of spin. I initially thought that he should have played instead of KP, but after having seen KP bat in this Test I was wrong; they should both have played!

jonah said:
I initially thought that he should have played instead of KP, but after having seen KP bat in this Test I was wrong; they should both have played!

Exactly. Bell isn't up to playing the Aussies at this stage in his career. I'm worried about Strauss as well; Warne destroyed him and was very unlucky not to get him lbw on about 4 occasions.

Yep, add to that Vaughan seems to have forgotten where his off stump is.

andrew_nixon said:

Maybe I'm biased though.

Good idea can't see it happening though.

well played Australia well deserved win. on to Edgbaston where we have a good test record. i think 239 run victory was abit flattering tbh. if we took those catches it would have ben about 139runs.

I think we need someone other than Giles for our spin option, we need someone who can spin it but who can be more effective. Like Batty who probably is a better batsmen.

tsyrmas said:
good night england

i hope this rain goes away, im boored ****less

:D

if we played the Ashes from April - June there would have been no interruptions. Made no difference to the cricket, thrilling match.

Thorpe should be recalled straight away. It won't happen of course, but if it's left until after we've lost the 2nd test, then there really would be no point.

Agree that Bell should get the chop. He looked like a boy amongst men. Jones too was appalling in this test. What about Giles? An abysmal performance with bat and ball. A spinner who can't spin the ball.

Good thing they gave Pietersen a go as he has been awesome. With him and thorpe their lineout would be a lot better. Don't know who the english have got to replace Giles however.

Kentboy said:
Thorpe should be recalled straight away. It won't happen of course, but if it's left until after we've lost the 2nd test, then there really would be no point.

Agree that Bell should get the chop. He looked like a boy amongst men. Jones too was appalling in this test. What about Giles? An abysmal performance with bat and ball. A spinner who can't spin the ball.

I don't think Giles deserves dropping, he can spin the ball (look at what he did last year to the W.Indies). The problem for him was not hitting the right length.

Though I would love to see Thorpe back, what do England do when he retires? Bell will always have that in the back of his mind. So Geriant had a bad game, Vaughan has not performed with a bat for ages!!! ODI and test! Drop Him!

England's main problem is playing stupid shots. Many of England#'s batsmen were guilty of this.

Last edited:
Without Pietersen's innings in this match, in the first innings 10 English batsmen scored 98 runs between them an average of 9.8 runs between them, and in the second innings 116 runs between them at an average of 11.6 between them. You tell me is that what you would expect from the 2nd best team in the world?

Maybe including all 10 of the other batsmen was unfair so lets just include those who are classed AS batsmen in the team so from Tres down to Jones. Without Pietersen's runs the other 6 in the first innings between them scored 45 all together and in the second 102 between them, any top class team would expect there batsmen to score the bulk of the runs, so at least 250-300+ but when you look at those figures, and even when you include Pietersen's runs, it is still WAY below what you would expect.

In the most recent county championship game Thorpe scored 142 runs in two innings, just 7 short of what the whole of England's top order (barring Pietersen) scored in two innings, thats 6 batsmen batting twice scoring 147 between them and one batsmen scoring 142.

See how much we miss Thorpe?

themuel1 said:
Vaughan has not performed with a bat for ages!!! ODI and test! Drop Him!
The only reason Vaughan is still in the team is because he is captain.

I said they should be playing Pieterson and Thorpe, Bell looked like a frightened school boy out there yesterday

Bell can get experience on the winter tour. Right now we need people who aren't going to capitulate every time Shane Warne bowls to them.
However useless our batting lineup was it's also worth remembering that Jason Gillespie is currently out of form and Brett Lee isn't on top of his game yet either. Australia can get a lot better still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread