Cricket in America

lol no way, I have destroyed countless people who try to convince me that baseball is a better sport. baseball is the bastard son of cricket

^ No, that's different. Cricket > Baseball - I convinced myself to that over last 7-8 years. But I was talking about cricket it self, not as a comparison.

I like baseball but I hate the fact how it stole the spotlight from cricket. Cricket could've been the only bat and ball sports, and US could've been a test playing nation by now, probably one of the best ones too, knowing how serious sports is to us.

Nah it would never have happened. Cricket here during the colony days and the years after Independence to about Civil war was a very elitist sport. The average Joe had no access to it and thus baseball was invented. Thats around the time cricket started dying. Abe Lincoln was the last President known to enjoy cricket.

That didn't stop us from producing some great players though like Bart King.

Look up the Philadelphia Cricket club, it's been in place for more than 150 years now.

Mark added 0 Minutes and 39 Seconds later...

Philadelphia Cricket Club - Home

Founded 1854!

Mark added 0 Minutes and 51 Seconds later...

Just look at their ground, looks like an English village.

getImage.gif

thus baseball was invented.

I said IF it wasn't invented.. ifbutmaybe

lol I know about Philly cricket. We were in Philly until 3rd or 4th grade. But I've never been there though. I wasn't a big fan then. I googled those 3 words many times once I was little older and started playing.

It looks beautiful! Only if it was like this in every state.

McLOVIN added 3 Minutes and 23 Seconds later...

Would you say Miami or Philly?

McLOVIN added 8 Minutes and 1 Seconds later...

YouTube - Cricket Has Own March Madness During American College Spring Break

Nice catch. 2 very important things: some good fast bowling-100MPH stuff and athletic fielding.

And who is that guy at the end. That's right, Lock.

Last edited:
Man I feel for the guy, I met him in Florida and he was a genuinely nice guy. Most of the USACA top members were nice, it's just that there was a lot of jealousy from the people below. Now we will have a bunch of unqualified Indians giving their nephews and sons spots on the team. Congrats you bunch of utter c u n t s , you got what you wanted, now you can ruin cricket here after all the hard work that was put in these last 5 years.

Oh ya that's right, you went to that NZ vs SL series.

Now we will have a bunch of unqualified Indians giving their nephews and sons spots on the team. Congrats you bunch of utter c u n t s , you got what you wanted, now you can ruin cricket here after all the hard work that was put in these last 5 years.
I remember talking about this on some other thread (your division thread?) you kinda disagreed then.

I still don't know why he left though.

Well it depends who you were talking about, I don't want to name names but there is one group of people in USACA who want to use it as their own personal club. I'm well acquainted with a few board members and that is the general consensus amongst them.

It hasn't happened yet, but it's well on the way. I've given up on them, they can crash and burn USACA for all I care now.

I was surprised to read about Lockerbie. USACA doesn't have much of a presentation without him.

Its upto individual organizations to try and lobby ESPN to show some ****ing cricket. That's the only way the sport is taking off in this country. People actually really want to see this sport in action. Something like World Cup or Ashes or ODI series between the top teams need to be shown on TV to generate any interest.

Kiwis move into US cricket market

Early estimates suggest the deal, which was finalised in Beverly Hills on Friday, could eventually generate $1 billion through revenue streams, with opportunities for the newly formed entity Cricket Holdings America to form corporate partnerships with global brands and to also broker broadcast rights with the world's major television networks.

That would be a start.

Last edited:
I was surprised to read about Lockerbie. USACA doesn't have much of a presentation without him.

Its upto individual organizations to try and lobby ESPN to show some ****ing cricket. That's the only way the sport is taking off in this country. People actually really want to see this sport in action. Something like World Cup or Ashes or ODI series between the top teams need to be shown on TV to generate any interest.

I think the CLT20 would be the place to start. It's T20, it's franchise action, and the tournament is pretty short. Plus it isn't as glitzy as the IPL.

CL20 might work here. IPL would just further bury cricket, it's too tacky and crass.

I would CLT20 would be better because it is not inherently Indian, which means it will probably appeal to a larger portion of the population that we want to convert into cricket fans.

I think the one thing we can agree on is that T20 is the way to move into North America, though. That's the one thing that was different from the past, where we tried to go in through FC cricket.

Yes, that means the FC teams will struggle in the short-run. But I think we have to face the reality that if you aren't a grassroots cricket nation, you probably don't have a very good long-term goal of being a successful Test nation.

I say we have to schedule some tourny between an IPL team, a west Indian team, and an Aussie/Saffer one here in America. Pref. New York area for me. Good mix of demographics and explosive styles of cricket, I think it would do well.

Perhaps better than NZ and SL playing...no offense but they can be the two most boring teams in world cricket on their day.

Depends on who you are trying to attract? If you are trying to attract natural born Americans then that will never work. They have no idea what IPL is and the razzmatazz is too cheesy and easy to make fun off. If you just want to get the expat population involved then maybe, but that is not a very marketable demographic.

Having "International" matches will be the only way to get natural born Americans involved. I feel safe in saying they don't give a ████ about Chennai vs Western Australia

Users who are viewing this thread