DBC14 PC Version 1.14

Played a few games with the new patch - like the feature with the scoreboard shown with the pause menu. Hope the improvements keep coming and thanks again to the BigAnt team.

I see the topic of the future or non- future of the PC version has raised its head again, if it's purely based on sales volume then I wouldn't understand pulling the PC version now as the hard work has been done establishing the title and future releases is where BA could reap the rewards.

However as mentioned numerous times here this game is under the radar here in UK/Ireland with minimal marketing etc. as a result many cricket fans/ sport fans / gamers aren't aware, or if they are I know some people who just buy games in the steam sales and are waiting to pick this up then (Although think I've read before that BA don't reduce games).

I totally understand DRM being used and it's was ridiculous argument put forward by that "Argh Har" guy to justify stealing. I wonder if BA have given anymore thought to the idea mentioned a few weeks back here on having a free weekend on steam of trying DBC with option to buy at 10% off or something at end of weekend would also raise profile on steam.

Just found out about the game having DRM via the unfortunate method of attempting to play the game without an Internet connection.

And whilst I'm sympathetic to BigAnt over the issue of piracy, I am still disappointed that this happened. For me (the minority) it essentially halves the playtime I can get out the game. As during the weekend I'm at a house with no internet connection. The weekend as for most people is when I generally play it the most.

Before people call me a pirate I infact own it on PS3 as well as PC.

Whilst I'm the minority it just sucks that I'm being inadvertently punished.

I see the topic of the future or non- future of the PC version has raised its head again, if it's purely based on sales volume then I wouldn't understand pulling the PC version now as the hard work has been done establishing the title and future releases is where BA could reap the rewards.

We have a build of a perfectly good RLL2 on PC that was never released. It's not about the time invested, it's the piracy of PC taking away console sales.

That's why many games are released more than a year later on PC, to make sure that the pirates don't eat your console sales. Pirates are already causing you to wait for GTA, and are already making it so that many games do not come on PC at all.

If I have a choice of no sequel at all or a sequel on Console only then Console only it will be.

We have a build of a perfectly good RLL2 on PC that was never released. It's not about the time invested, it's the piracy of PC taking away console sales.
So assuming the DRM works well and isn't worked around - how likely does that make RLL3 to release on PC?

Basically - if it works to have the DRM, what's the remaining reason not to launch day and date on PC?

And whilst I'm sympathetic to BigAnt over the issue of piracy, I am still disappointed that this happened. For me (the minority) it essentially halves the playtime I can get out the game. As during the weekend I'm at a house with no internet connection. The weekend as for most people is when I generally play it the most.

3G connection via phone? Dongle? It's a tiny amount of data so hopefully you can find a solution that works for you. :)

Just found out about the game having DRM via the unfortunate method of attempting to play the game without an Internet connection.

It is part of the deal unfortnately. Drastic times ask for drastic measure. I too was without interenet for a couple of days....did other stuff.

So assuming the DRM works well and isn't worked around - how likely does that make RLL3 to release on PC?

Basically - if it works to have the DRM, what's the remaining reason not to launch day and date on PC?

Can't see day and date occurring ever as the risk is too high.

With DBC14 we didn't want to do DRM at all, in retrospect it should have been day 1 and then we'd have far less issues. We've never had to do DRM before, ever.

3G connection via phone? Dongle? It's a tiny amount of data so hopefully you can find a solution that works for you. :)
I used to be able to tether my connection but ever since my s3 updated to the newer version of Ice Cream Sandwich or KitKat (can't remember which) it just stopped working. I just tried to get it working in the last half hour to no avail. Once I get a new phone I hope that the issue fixes itself.

I'm assuming I'm going to have to just before I leave to switch into offline mode on Steam then run the game to pass the activation check then put laptop into sleep. Once I get there I'll just hopebit won't crash or I won't be able to play it.

If I have a choice of no sequel at all or a sequel on Console only then Console only it will be.

Went through exactly the same thing in 09. So disheartening to watch. We didn't have any real tracking in it (except that we knew how many were playing it online was far in advance of how many copies we'd sold!) so it must be even worse to be able to see exactly how bad it is. The only way we knew was when the 2nd patch came out (which had a specific message if you didn't have a genuine copy) and immediately we were flooded by "The patch won't work with my copy" messages. I'm sure there were lots more that didn't come forwards.

I'd hoped that the Steam implementation would have limited it for you guys, but clearly it hasn't. I'd say again: a subscription model for PC seems to me the best way, using that user-base to try out improvements, balancing before pushing it to console.

Thanks @Chief we're looking at all options for the next one.

If the Indian pirates would just keep it to themselves then I wouldn't care so much, it's just that torrents know no boundaries.

I completely understand the situation about DRM,I also have unstable internet connection(In Bangladesh internet is very expensive and unstable due electric issue etc..)but i am not complaining at all,in fact even here i have different option to connect to internet and DBC14 requires very small data for verification.I can live with DRM rather than no game at all :( its really sad to hear that there will be no further pc version as i do not own any console(not really an option in here as no authorized microsoft or sony store are available).For gods sake please do not pirate the game and please buy this awesome game to support the developers(IMO the most active, awesome who actually think about their customer ).

With DBC14 we didn't want to do DRM at all, in retrospect it should have been day 1 and then we'd have far less issues. We've never had to do DRM before, ever.
Well Steamworks itself is DRM, just clearly not very effective (something Valve should probably work on). I think the AFL/Rugby League Live PC versions had GFWL as DRM.

So it's there - but just trivial to get past because by the time your game uses it, thousands of others already have and it's already been broken.

So I'd just again make the broader point - if you can make it effective, and put it there from the start, I can't see a reason not to make releases on PC, eventually at least.

Could someone explain to me what drm actually does,I don't understand the link between internet connection stopping piracy

This house without Internet also can't get a 3G phone connection?

Not buying that for a second.

So I'd just again make the broader point - if you can make it effective, and put it there from the start, I can't see a reason not to make releases on PC, eventually at least.

As above, it's too risky - we might have it working now, mostly because the pirates cracking DBC are pretty crap :p, but that doesn't mean we should take the risk that it doesn't get hacked later by some guys who actually know what they're doing.

Users who are viewing this thread