Don Bradman Cricket 14 - World Premiere Discussion

smytheysmith

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
i do agree with you martyn that this forum appears to be full of 'slight fanboys', but considering what ross has done in the last few months i think it is just about validated

bigguy400

School Cricketer
Having read the forums over the past few months or so, and haven't replied, Can I please add my sincere thanks to Ross and his team for what is looking like an excellent cricket game.

Also to continually come on this forum in his own time and answer questions and quite rightly tell the trolls where to go.

Even for those that don't post often Ross, this is looking excellent and we appreciate all the hard graft that has been put in, and I for one appreciate your efforts and as such will be buying both the PC and XBox versions of your game.

AnshtheDj

Club Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
sound off the bat as it meets the ball

had a look at most of the gameplay video from DBC world premier. While I must congratulate Big Ant to have engaged fans with this unique opportunity, I have an issue to point out. Somehow I don't quite agree to the sound which comes out every time the bat meets the ball. The intensity appeared same all the time and quite often I was taken aback by seeing that the ball has just fallen very near to the batsman, while the sound suggested that it must have traveled farther. Shots which go to the boundarymen or to the fielder inside 30-yard circle or fell near the close-in catching men all gave out the same sound :eek:

IMO, depending upon the speed of the ball, which part of the bat it touches, the speed and direction of the bat swing, the sound is different. But from the gameplay videos, sometimes the sound was quite misleading .

Karachi

Associate Captain
I asked this question in the Q&A thread but since everyone seems to be roaming here so I thought to highlight/as here as well (I didn't get an answer at Q&A):

"I have observed (except for one video) that the batsmen haven't been tapping their bat on the pitch when preparing to face the delivery. Is tapping a manual thing or this is an error of the older build?"

kamrul

Associate Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
i am more than happy with the fielding system..but i am little bit dissapointed when it comes to batting..the batting animation didn't amused me much...i am a left handed batsman and i really expected a better display from ross in batting..shots looked almost like ac 09..those same robotic shots...and i don't know if it was a bug bt why the bat and batsmans hand was getting in the grill of the helmet in procam view..one more thing i have never seen a non strike batsman to hold the bat as straight as it's in the game... i am not criticizing the game..just wanted to point out somethings that should be changed in the next edition..thanks :thumbs

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
had a look at most of the gameplay video from DBC world premier. While I must congratulate Big Ant to have engaged fans with this unique opportunity, I have an issue to point out. Somehow I don't quite agree to the sound which comes out every time the bat meets the ball. The intensity appeared same all the time and quite often I was taken aback by seeing that the ball has just fallen very near to the batsman, while the sound suggested that it must have traveled farther. Shots which go to the boundarymen or to the fielder inside 30-yard circle or fell near the close-in catching men all gave out the same sound :eek:

IMO, depending upon the speed of the ball, which part of the bat it touches, the speed and direction of the bat swing, the sound is different. But from the gameplay videos, sometimes the sound was quite misleading .

Yeah this was something i spotted too. Sound of ball of the bat needs variety, definitely.

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Because there are waves of people who were AT the play session complaining about it? Because there are floods of people questioning the game?

Almost all the reaction to the videos and impressions has been positive. Except for people who are just being negative to stir people up. Its not particularly clever either. They want the game to fail

100% of the people at the playsession were positive. It was the biggest turnout for a playsession we've ever had, amazing when you consider it was during a work day.

Ross is not going to like being described as a "little guy"... ;)

Oh, we are the little Aussie battlers, the underdogs going up against the mighty publishers and their Ashes money :)

although we all bought afl live hoping the next one would be better...by all reports it isnt because ba dont do it anymore...lets hope they dont delegate cricket to someone else in favour of something like say lacrosse:p

----------

is martyn still talking about old build errors

Don Bradman Cricket 14 and it's codebase are owned by Big Ant Studios, AFL Live was not.

Last edited:

topanaris

School Cricketer
Ok, wow I actually read all posts before I decided to make my comment. Now, let me preface my comments by saying this, based on what I have seen so far the game is not perfect, nor did it profess to be I think some casual viewers of the site became caught up on the praises being showered on the game and made assumptions based on other user opinions, which would explain the disappointment being expressed by some.

All things considered I am now even more so determined to buy the game even though personally....I have not been wowed........ just yet This has to do with a number of reasons 1. I am a hard mark and 2 considering Big Ant's financial constraints its completely understandable why we are seeing what we are seeing which is not bad actually, and might I add better than anything we have experienced to date.

How can you not appreciate the effort of a company that would do a cricket game and map a button to shine the ball.......people we have button to shine the ball, or the ability to look around the park through the batsman's eyes, or play the dil-scopp! I mean I totally appreciate the effort and I believe (I could be wrong) that Big Ant wanted to convey that this is a cricket game made by persons who love the game of cricket, and I get that feeling.

I am viewing my purchase of this game as an investment in the next installment, as this game has enormous potential and I would like to see this on the PS4 next year.

I think persons need to strike a balance between mindless excoriation and constructive criticism.

Big Ant, good job and well done. I would actually recommend crown sourcing for the next installment, I would definitely contribute.

79cricket

Panel of Selectors
Same here BD about the sound on bat to ball, not having a go at the game but this area could be improved for the next version of the game. Plus Only 13 stadiums is not enough playing though a career mode.:(

Ok now for the good, them two new videos were the closest I have seen to real cricket guys. So many small touches here and there, wish it was in HD but I guess Twisties3 camera can not do this so no biggie.

To Martyn, when you buy this game you will go one of two ways, either love the hell out of the game or pick it to pieces like that soccer game you have, others like me will take it for what it is, if I have to help the ai so be it but if Ross/Bigant make killer ai that can kick my ass on master after 6 months of playing then I will be in heaven.

When I was watching the new videos I had a couple of my workers walk past a PC I was on at work, one liked it and thought I was watching real cricket but the other said the animations look to robotic, my view of the animations are both life like and a little robotic. There is always room for improvement but I do feel that this is the cricket game we have been waiting for all this time.:spy

Last edited:

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
The sound off the bat needs work, agreed. It is better than will have been portrayed in the videos.

There might less stadia than you would have hoped however the stadia are renamed and replaced throughout the career mode.

stevo1

Club Cricketer
Hey Ross, mentioned before but shots like glance, tuck off the legs to fine leg, flick off the pads to deep fine/square leg, glide to third man are they all in the game?

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
They are, pretty much any shot you might see in real life is playable in game.

79cricket

Panel of Selectors
The sound off the bat needs work, agreed. It is better than will have been portrayed in the videos.

There might less stadia than you would have hoped however the stadia are renamed and replaced throughout the career mode.

Thanks Ross, I have watched the newest two video like three times now and each time I am a little more impressed than the last view.

The sound of bat and ball is good but like you said does need more variety but not a huge problem, how did you guys record the sounds Ross, real cricket or from a video.

The Stadiums are fine I guess when I read we would be getting like 40 I was a little let down, my fault to believe everything in them old files a Ross.:facepalm

Users who are viewing this thread