Don Bradman Cricket Academy Beta 99.94d Available Now

I had a slightly different view on how the right stick can be used in future versions. In my view if the shot animation is dependant on the movement of the right stick (will explain what I mean by it) it could work really well. What I mean by that is that the completion of the animation will be linked to the RAS. So for e.g I wanna play a straight drive, I would need to move the RAS completely forward for the shot to be complete. This would allow me to check my shot at the last moment incase I am beaten by flight or pace, so say I was about to play a straight drive but suddenly realise that the ball is coming slower than expend, I can stop the RAS only half way to check my shot,which will stop the bat near my pads itself (depending upon where exactly I ended the RAS movement) might result in me playing a defensive shot at the last moment as the bat did not follow through.

This is in sync with how cricket is played in real life as well where the batsmen are still able to check their shots incase they get beaten in flight or pace. It could also help in circumstances where you come down the track to play a lofted shot but suddenly check your shot at the last moment if beaten in flight.

Coupled with realistic physics already in place in the game, It could also open up a lot of opportunities where you could see indecisive half played shots taking inside edges and breaking the stumps or get caught in slips.....or even cases where the ball will balloon in the air for checked shops that are incorrectly timed or RAS was moved a bit further than it should have been.

Best part of this is that it could easily fit into the current control scheme.

Perhaps I might be mis-understanding you but isn't that the same as I've just detailed in my original post?

Perhaps I might be mis-understanding you but isn't that the same as I've just detailed in my original post?

Maybe, but I would say It's different from the perspective that:

a) Shot strength doesn't need to depend on the followthrough.....it should be based on the triggers only as it is in the current setup as triggers are much more consistent

b) Don't need backlift to be integrated to the RAS as then it would be a pain playing shots behind the wicket as you would already be moving the RAS back for the backswing. The current setup of moving the RAS in the direction you wanna play the shot is really perfect and it's evident that this was chosen after a lot of trying with other methods which just didn't work for all scenarios.

What I am suggesting is only the completion of the shot is dependant on the amount the RAS is moved as with this you would still normally push the RAS fully to play a shot thus the controls are pretty much the same as they are now, unless of course occasionally when you wanna check your shot at the last moment....which will also require some skill :D:cheers

Perhaps I might be mis-understanding you but isn't that the same as I've just detailed in my original post?[/QUOTE

Yes and no Zombie, still great ideas guys and I bet Ross will write this down.

PS Also at the moment you can defend just half way, meaning down or left and right a little. If I push the LAS back and the right say up and to the right I should push the ball to the slips if I am a left hander or off my hips if a right.

I am hoping these shots did not get copied over like the advance defend shot Ross.;)

PS also if you pressed both triggers up at the moment the ball goes backwards, I don't like this I would tweak it to just drop the ball straight down for a quick single or the ball goes under the bat for a Yorker if you miss it. Just needs a small tweak.:spy

For the next version, foot work should be controlled instantaneously and be independent of shot selection as in i should go on front foot as soon as i press left stick and then play the shot from there whatever its is glance, straight or cover drive or defend.

For the next version, foot work should be controlled instantaneously and be independent of shot selection as in i should go on front foot as soon as i press left stick and then play the shot from there whatever its is glance, straight or cover drive or defend.

The foot work and shots in the game work real well but why does it have to miss everytime you don't use the LAS not all players use there feet as well as in this game. For the second game I would love to see the use for one stick on the higher difficulties but make it a huge risk not just a miss everytime the game says it will miss.

Playing a forward defence with no foot work would look ugly but you could still hit the ball and same goes for all the shots in the game.:spy

The foot work and shots in the game work real well but why does it have to miss everytime you don't use the LAS not all players use there feet as well as in this game. For the second game I would love to see the use for one stick on the higher difficulties but make it a huge risk not just a miss everytime the game says it will miss.

Playing a forward defence with no foot work would look ugly but you could still hit the ball and same goes for all the shots in the game.:spy

i think im not getting you here can you explain more,
what i meant was right now footwork and shots are attached as in i have to give both foot direction and shot direction to play a cover drive, what i want is as soon i pick the length of the ball i want to commit footwork like in real game then play the shot in the manner of choosing, obviously you can also play without committing any foot work like you said if the system were implemented.which will open up a huge lot of possibilities not only for elegant cricket shots but also for ugly cricket shots also like smith, chanders and MS.

Last edited:
I think the brand new controller system works just fine.

I think the brand new controller system works just fine.

It does but it could be slightly improved upon, perhaps in the next iteration.

----------

Yes, I've noticed that if you don't move the left stick you don't hit the ball. Perhaps this needs looking into.

It works pretty well for the first game.
people are talking about the next version and it can definitely do with more improvement in the next one.

Yeah I agree with yours and Zombie views, for Biggs yes the new controls work very well for batting but there is room for improvement.

In the next game I would love to see a sim/half sim and half arcade and full arcade modes alongside the 5 difficulties. Something like say Forza but cricket not car racing.

No one here, with the exception of Big Ant and play session people, has played the full game (which just so happens to include match conditions, pitch conditions, AI, player ratings etc.)

The nets provide insight into batting mechanics, and it really should be left at that. Select few people have complained about the bowling machine AI...there isn't any 'AI' involved with random bowling. We don't know how difficult it will be to score runs, we don't know what an average run rate against the AI is. Let's play the full game before talking about what needs to be improved in the fabled next iteration.

There will no doubt be room for improvement, we'll just need to wait for the game to be in the market a few weeks to see how much.

The main thing is that we want to improve it and will be here to patch/fix exploits/fix bugs etc.

No one here, with the exception of Big Ant and play session people, has played the full game (which just so happens to include match conditions, pitch conditions, AI, player ratings etc.)

The nets provide insight into batting mechanics, and it really should be left at that. Select few people have complained about the bowling machine AI...there isn't any 'AI' involved with random bowling. We don't know how difficult it will be to score runs, we don't know what an average run rate against the AI is. Let's play the full game before talking about what needs to be improved in the fabled next iteration.

Snowy we are just having a friendly talk about what we think would be a nice improvement for the next iteration of DBC14, only Zombie was talking about runrates and things like that, naughty Zombie.:yes

PS I agree we have not played the full game, god Ross just give us the game ok.:p Still there has not been anything else to talk about over the last 2 weeks or so. So I feel a friendly talk about the controls for batting is better than asking for news and when the campaign will start.

----------

There will no doubt be room for improvement, we'll just need to wait for the game to be in the market a few weeks to see how much.

The main thing is that we want to improve it and will be here to patch/fix exploits/fix bugs etc.

We were just talking Ross, nothing against your game mate.:wave

PS If you need a free play-tester I can send you my address dude.:lol

I have to say, the discussion has been good. Agree or disagree, it's proper feedback/discussion which is something that should be encouraged as it improves the game long term.

Unlike trolls who say it's all bad etc...

I have to say, the discussion has been good. Agree or disagree, it's proper feedback/discussion which is something that should be encouraged as it improves the game long term.

Unlike trolls who say it's all bad etc...

Better than talking about the Aussies batting yesterday that's for sure, looked like a phone number not a cricket score card after the openers.:facepalm

PS I do feel Bigant have something special here and like you said no one is trolling. I can't wait for next month guys.:clap

Users who are viewing this thread