Don Bradman Cricket Academy Beta 99.94d Available Now

I think they somehow compensated that by allowing us to use triggers. If you just play with right analog without pressing any trigger only the perfectly timed shot in the gap will end up as boundary, rest would stop before that.

I agree that you need a trigger to play a lofted shot in conjunction with the right stick, but I think there will be an unrealistic amount of boundaries in the game.
By utilising the right stick for power and direction would give us more 'intelligent' and 'realistic' game of cricket.
At the moment there doesn't appear a way to nudge the ball into a gap for a quick single, or play a shot short of a fielder who has been placed too deep. Playing a defensive shot won't give us the same amount of control.
This method could also be used for those deft leg glances and unorthodox shots.

Last edited:
Analogue sticks for power were tried but we found great discrepancies between controllers and would have had to include a complex calibration system to compensate.

Analogue sticks for power were tried but we found great discrepancies between controllers and would have had to include a complex calibration system to compensate.

That's a shame Ross. Golf games use this method but don't require calibration of the joysticks!

That's a shame Ross. Golf games use this method but don't require calibration of the joysticks!

Understood but I can't understand how they work on older controllers for example as they wear quite badly over time and the same brand of controller has very varied results across the range.

Can't see a half press of a stick working very well, there's not really much room between the dead zone and the edge. Could work if accompanied by a bat lift, then power is determined by time between bat lift and swing. I'm happy the way it is, a half press of the trigger has worked fine for me.

Can't see a half press of a stick working very well, there's not really much room between the dead zone and the edge. Could work if accompanied by a bat lift, then power is determined by time between bat lift and swing. I'm happy the way it is, a half press of the trigger has worked fine for me.

That's why I suggested having a backswing before the shot.
The present method is very good but it doesn't give the amount of control of ball manoeuvre that would require the bowling side more to think about fielding positions.
For example, you could keep pushing shots for singles requiring the fielding side to move players up to stop the singles. This would then give the batter the option of dropping shots over the fielder moved to stop the singles.
More tactics would be required to play the game.

----------

Understood but I can't understand how they work on older controllers for example as they wear quite badly over time and the same brand of controller has very varied results across the range.

I've had my xbox controller for four years and it works as good as new.:yes

Imagine trying to get fine control of your shots if you had to do your shot within half a second - with Golf games you can carefully prepare the shot you're going to play, even practice it on the side or cancel out of the shot if you get the backswing wrong - cricket you have that one chance - so I'd rather the triggers that are a bit more suited to finer control.

IC2010 added in an ability to slightly point shots anywhere in the ground by only pushing the left stick slightly, which allowed you in theory to hit shots into any part of the ground with precision - but the amount of premeditation and focus you need to have to pull that off made it never work out in my time with the game. The PS3 controller's analogue sticks aren't quite as stiff as the Xbox ones, which would make that slightly easier - but that's with a game where you play the shot with the button press.

Cricket 07 did have the slight pushes on the joystick with the century stick mode, but I certainly don't feel as in control of my shots playing that than I do with the triggers on DBC.

You would have the same amount of time to play your shot as if you were playing a real game of cricket.
In my mind this would be the 'ideal' way to play the game, but I really enjoy playing the nets as they are. Introduce the fielders into the mix and there might be more need to manoeuvre the ball about a bit more than is required at the moment.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising the batting in any way. It could do with a tweak here and there, but if this is the method we are to use then it's fine.:yes

I see your point Zombie but I agree with Matt/Ross that this will be a headache for most players. The game is already a tough one and adding more in this version would be well silly.

MattW, I was good at ic2010 so pushing singles and twos were not to hard and they were on the right track until Ashes 2013 blow all that up.

PS My view is the controls in the nets are the closest I have seen to real cricket and in future versions they can add a sim/arcade mode like Zombie said earlier.

Now for runrates who knows as I have not played the game yet, with only 5 weeks left we will all find out soon. Go Aussies.:clap

----------

You would have the same amount of time to play your shot as if you were playing a real game of cricket.
In my mind this would be the 'ideal' way to play the game, but I really enjoy playing the nets as they are. Introduce the fielders into the mix and there might be more need to manoeuvre the ball about a bit more than is required at the moment.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising the batting in any way. It could do with a tweak here and there, but if this is the method we are to use then it's fine.:yes

True in real cricket you would have the same time but this is a game, I agree there is more they can do for future version and if we do find ways to score heavy even on say Legend mode then Bigant will patch it.

PS Working off the body is missing, I was shocked about this as not every player does the hook/Pull of every ball.:spy

I see your point Zombie but I agree with Matt/Ross that this will be a headache for most players. The game is already a tough one and adding more in this version would be well silly.

MattW, I was good at ic2010 so pushing singles and twos were not to hard and they were on the right track until Ashes 2013 blow all that up.

PS My view is the controls in the nets are the closest I have seen to real cricket and in future versions they can add a sim/arcade mode like Zombie said earlier.

Now for runrates who knows as I have not played the game yet, with only 5 weeks left we will all find out soon. Go Aussies.:clap

----------

True in real cricket you would have the same time but this is a game, I agree there is more they can do for future version and if we do find ways to score heavy even on say Legend mode then Bigant will patch it.

PS Working off the body is missing, I was shocked about this as not every player does the hook/Pull of every ball.:spy

I'm sure when we all play the game there will be plenty of recommendations for the next iteration of the game. I hope they are all constructive because I don't think anyone can argue with the commitment and enthusiasm that has gone into making this game.

Ian

Agree 100% Zombie, for there first cricket game they have got so much right the first time. I can see that just from the nets and the gameplay footage I have seen.

PS The area I want to see is the AI and fields they set, if I have pulled or hooked say three balls in a row they plug it and please don't go back to the same fields after say a over.

This should be simple, attack at the start of a test/oneday/4 day game(Forget T20 as it's just a pop-corn cricket movie) with the new ball till the batsmen are set, if a wicket falls then add more slips and if the batsmen gets near say 50 or 100 so on then have a ring field and slips set like the start of a test match. Add if a side is say 5/30 then lots of slips say against say 5/350 were maybe no slips.

PS If MattW:noway ever goes to Bigant studios this is the number one area for looking for me, still if the game does release in 5 weeks then cool as we will all find out soon.:spy

I agree with the views being discussed but the bat can have back swing for the flow of the shot and can provide confidence as well for the batsman....:)

----------

PS If MattW:noway ever goes to Bigant studios this is the number one area for looking for me, still if the game does release in 5 weeks then cool as we will all find out soon.:spy

Actually it should be

Since playing the very first nets session I have felt that the right stick could have been used for shot strength by having to make a back swing before playing the shot. For example, if you wanted to play a nudge for a single you would play the shot with a short follow-through. Bigger shots would call for a larger back swing and follow through. This method would make it easier to manoeuvre shots around, depending on where the fielders were positioned and increasing the number of singles being run. At the moment the game is set up for hitting big shots through the field, rather than a more realistic game of shot manoeuvre.

I had a slightly different view on how the right stick can be used in future versions. In my view if the shot animation is dependant on the movement of the right stick (will explain what I mean by it) it could work really well. What I mean by that is that the completion of the animation will be linked to the RAS. So for e.g I wanna play a straight drive, I would need to move the RAS completely forward for the shot to be complete. This would allow me to check my shot at the last moment incase I am beaten by flight or pace, so say I was about to play a straight drive but suddenly realise that the ball is coming slower than expend, I can stop the RAS only half way to check my shot,which will stop the bat near my pads itself (depending upon where exactly I ended the RAS movement) might result in me playing a defensive shot at the last moment as the bat did not follow through.

This is in sync with how cricket is played in real life as well where the batsmen are still able to check their shots incase they get beaten in flight or pace. It could also help in circumstances where you come down the track to play a lofted shot but suddenly check your shot at the last moment if beaten in flight.

Coupled with realistic physics already in place in the game, It could also open up a lot of opportunities where you could see indecisive half played shots taking inside edges and breaking the stumps or get caught in slips.....or even cases where the ball will balloon in the air for checked shops that are incorrectly timed or RAS was moved a bit further than it should have been.

Best part of this is that it could easily fit into the current control scheme.

I had a slightly different view on how the right stick can be used in future versions. In my view if the shot animation is dependant on the movement of the right stick (will explain what I mean by it) it could work really well. What I mean by that is that the completion of the animation will be linked to the RAS. So for e.g I wanna play a straight drive, I would need to move the RAS completely forward for the shot to be complete. This would allow me to check my shot at the last moment incase I am beaten by flight or pace, so say I was about to play a straight drive but suddenly realise that the ball is coming slower than expend, I can stop the RAS only half way to check my shot,which will stop the bat near my pads itself (depending upon where exactly I ended the RAS movement) might result in me playing a defensive shot at the last moment as the bat did not follow through.

This is in sync with how cricket is played in real life as well where the batsmen are still able to check their shots incase they get beaten in flight or pace. It could also help in circumstances where you come down the track to play a lofted shot but suddenly check your shot at the last moment if beaten in flight.

Coupled with realistic physics already in place in the game, It could also open up a lot of opportunities where you could see indecisive half played shots taking inside edges and breaking the stumps or get caught in slips.....or even cases where the ball will balloon in the air for checked shops that are incorrectly timed or RAS was moved a bit further than it should have been.

Best part of this is that it could easily fit into the current control scheme.
This is the exact way I also had in mind a free flowing batting physics like the ball physics in the game...The game really does have a brilliant ball physics and if the batting physics are designed the same way then the cricket would be too realistic and the best ever....But for the animations part every aspect should be designed similar to the way the ball behaves....:cheers

Users who are viewing this thread