Emerging Players Tournament 2009 (Aus, NZ, SA, IND)

Australian group - from the AIS web site

Australian Institute of Sport :: AIS scholars selected to attend Cricket Australia Centre of Excellence

"The AIS scholarship intake for 2009 is:

AIS full time scholars (16)

Burt Cockley (NSW,22)
Josh Hazlewood (NSW,18)
Moises Henriques (NSW,22)
Usman Khawaja (NSW,22)
Steven Smith (NSW,19)
Mitchell Starc (NSW,19)
Alister McDermott (QLD,17)
Nathan Reardon (QLD,24)
Peter George (SA,22)
Tom Cooper (SA,22)
Tom Triffitt (TAS,18)
James Faulkner (TAS,18)
Jon Holland (VIC,21)
Rob Quiney (VIC,26)
Josh Mangan (WA,23)
Mitchell Marsh (WA,17)

In addition, the intake will be complemented by six additional part-time scholarships. The part-time scholars will attend the COE for periods of time over the course of the program

Part-time scholars (6):

Luke Doran (NSW,18)
Peter Forrest (NSW,23)
Adam Zampa (NSW,16)
Callum Ferguson (SA,24)
Kane Richardson (SA,18)
Chris Duval (TAS,25)

Development scholars (4)

Jason Floros (ACT,18)
Sean Abbott (NSW,16)
Alex Carey (SA,17)
Jackson Coleman (VIC,17)

The average age of the 2009 AIS full time scholarship intake is 20.6 years. This is in comparison to the previous two full time AIS intakes with average ages of 21.2 years (2008) and 22 years (2007).

Commenting on the selection intake, National Selection Panel (NSP) Chairman Andrew Hilditch said:

?This group of players has been chosen by the NSP with an eye to the short term needs of Australian cricket, but with an emphasis on the development of a group of very talented youngsters to meet the long term needs of Australian Cricket.

?The NSP sees selection in the AIS intake as a very important step in the development of our talented young players as they seek to further develop their physical and mental cricket skills and strive to achieve international honours. This year is the first intake under the new head coach Greg Chappell.

?Greg has worked very hard, together with all the COE staff, to develop this year?s program which has some new innovations and a slightly different emphasis than previous programs .This selection presents all these players with a very exciting opportunity.

?Moises Henriques, Usman Khawaja and Jon Holland were all full-time scholars last year and have returned for a second stint at the COE, which will provide them with an excellent opportunity to build on the skills they developed here last year and during the recent season.

?In addition, James Faulkner, Steven Smith, Josh Hazlewood and Mitchell Marsh were all part-time or development scholars last year and will come back for the extended stint this year.

?The part-time scholarship group has a mix of youth and experience, highlighted with Callum Ferguson who recently made his ODI debut for Australia coming back to the COE to further refine his skills.

?The four development scholars ? who will undertake a shortened training period ? have a great opportunity to taste the environment at the COE professional tuition given by the coaching staff that will help their cricket progression.?

Quite a few spinners picked, Doran is rated highly of the spinners. The strength would be in the batting with a lot of experience. Bowling a bit inexperience but some good talent picked. Tom Triffitt is the surprise in the full time list, the rest I have heard of.

Just look at the number of NSW players. More valuable experience they will gain. I hope Hazzlewood, Steven Smith and Khawaja do good. Of course I hope everyone does but those are 2 NSW fringe players with huge futures.

Didn't notice the NSW domination but we have come to expect that from them these days. Sadly quite a few of them will have to move to get a chance.

The COE intake was announced in February. I didn't post it when talking about the players above as it doesn't necessarily constitute the final Emerging Players Tournament squad.

Here you go:

AIS squad
Tom Cooper
Chris Duval
James Faulkner
Peter Forrest
Peter George
Moises Henriques
Jon Holland
Josh Mangan
Mitchell Marsh
Alister McDermott
Robert Quiney
Kane Richardson
Steve Smith
Tom Triffitt
Matthew Wade
Rahul Shukla
Nizar Niyas

Mitchell Marsh is a freak and he's only 17!

The pace bowling and batting leaves a bit to be desired. But the spin is sorted as is the all rounders. Bit of a shame Hazelwood missed out.

Don't think so but I was able to find the South African team:

Vaughn van Jaarsveld (bizhub Highveld Lions, capt), Craig Alexander (bizhub Highveld Lions), Farhaan Behardien (Nashua Titans), Henry Davids (Nashua Cape Cobras), CJ de Villiers (Gestetner Diamond Eagles), Dean Elgar (Gestetner Diamond Eagles), Reza Hendricks (Gestetner Diamond Eagles), Heino Kuhn (Nashua Titans), Rilee Rossouw (Gestetner Diamond Eagles), Daryn Smit (Nashua Dolphins), Juan Theron (Chevrolet Warriors), Thandi Tshabalala (Gestetner Diamond Eagles), Lonwabo Tsotsobe (Chevrolet Warriors), Stiaan van Zyl (Nashua Cape Cobras), Basheer Walters (Nashua Titans

A couple of guys there have played for South Africa, anyone know how strong that team is though.

That's a very strong team. First time I've seen the SA emerging squad actually being picked on merit instead of colour.

Batting is strong but still young. Watch out for 19 yr old Rilee Roussouw. Averages 50 in 50-over cricket at 98 Strike-rate.

The bowling will most likely be lead by Theron (Right arm seamer. 106 wickets at 21 in FC cricket) and Tsotsobe (Left-arm swing bowler. 142 wickets @ 21 in FC cricket and was picked to play Aus before injury)

Quite a few of those names are next in line to play for the SA national team.

The pace bowling and batting leaves a bit to be desired. But the spin is sorted as is the all rounders. Bit of a shame Hazelwood missed out.

Tell me about it. So many ify's in that batting. Quiney, Forrest, Smith, Henriques etc. You wouldn't put your house on them making 20 really. But then if they get going you can bet they might get that half ton.

Yea devo Hazzlewood missed out. Looks to be a real talent and bowled well against the kiwis in the tour match. Would have been good experience for him leading into the new season because if Dougie is a way a lot more and injuries take toll he might find himself with cherry in hand at the SCG a little more.

Tell me about it. So many ify's in that batting. Quiney, Forrest, Smith, Henriques etc. You wouldn't put your house on them making 20 really. But then if they get going you can bet they might get that half ton.
Don't forget, it's not a first class competition either. I think Quiney is a bit OP for it really. When it comes to one dayers, he's brutal on bowlers who are too straight or too wide and you get more of those the lower down the competition you get. Wade, Henriques and Smith made runs last year as well.

Users who are viewing this thread