England in the 90s

At the end of day 2 Pakistan are 220/2 in reply to England’s 335.

Raja 133* and Miandad 25*

Malcolm bounced out Mutjaba for 5, caught by Robin Smith and Backward Square Leg.

Englands bowling:

Defraitas 0-80 off 14!
Malcolm 1-53 off 11
Lewis 0-24 off 5
Botham 0-29 off 7
Salisbury 0-28 off 17
Hick 0-2 off 1

On a day 3 wicket, Salisbury appears to now be able to get the ball to straighten ever so slightly, rather than going on with the arm... this is I suppose “turn”.

it’s not resulted in him taking a wicket, but he has gone for much more runs this morning, doesn’t even have economy going for him!

Pakistan 434/9 at the end of Day 3.

England bowling:

Defraitas 0-110 from 26
Malcolm 2-90 from 24
Lewis 1-68 from 20
Botham 4-61 from 24
Salisbury 1-64 from 34
Hick 0-21 from 9
Gooch 0-11 from 5

Salisbury has a wicket... lbw... of course it was missing as he was never turning it back.

In my journey so far I’ve faced legendary batsmen such as Richards, Haynes, Greenidge, Tendulkar, Azzahruddin, Crowe, Taylor, Boon, Waugh, Border, Inzy, Miandad...

yet it was Rameez Raja who was the first to do this to me...

Joke was on him though, as a poor decision made him Ian Salisbury’s first test wicket.

Last edited:
Having got Pakistan all out eventually during the first hour of day 4 for 441 (a lead of 106), I’ve lost 2 wickets before lunch.

Gonna be hard to save this.

Also realised this match is the last test either Botham or Lamb play.

Set the daunting target of 2, lost by 10 wickets.

On to Old Trafford. England drop Lamb, Botham and Defraitas, bringing back Atherton (to bat 3) and Gower and bringing in Munton for debut. This makes my bowling attack Malcolm, Lewis, Munton, Salisbury. (Pakistan’s is Wasim, Waqar, Aaqib Javed, Mushtaq Ahmed - it’s another level.)

Pakistan win toss and bat on a grassy pitch under cloudy skies - start delayed by rain. Another run out aside (Sohail again left stranded by Raja’s crazy running), I’ve not looked like a wicket in 15 overs of bowling in very bowler friendly conditions. 54/1 just after lunch.

Last edited:
This makes my bowling attack Malcolm, Lewis, Munton, Salisbury. (Pakistan’s is Wasim, Waqar, Aaqib Javed, Mushtaq Ahmed - it’s another level.)
I'm a Bears fan and Munton was a quality bowler. He is also, perhaps, one of the many examples of why modern England, compared to 1990s England, rarely look at players just because they do well in county cricket.

Chris Lewis was probably 20-30 years ahead of his time in some ways. He'd be much sought after T20 cricketer.

I'm a Bears fan and Munton was a quality bowler. He is also, perhaps, one of the many examples of why modern England, compared to 1990s England, rarely look at players just because they do well in county cricket.

Chris Lewis was probably 20-30 years ahead of his time in some ways. He'd be much sought after T20 cricketer.

not tweaking Wasim and Waqar though, are they?[DOUBLEPOST=1609010355][/DOUBLEPOST]
That's a horrible attack

In the 4th test it’s Lewis, Munton, Mallender and Pringle!!

Graham Gooch took 5 wickets in the match in 3rd test IRL, which was a draw. No wonder he was needed!

Somehow we won the 4th test. How????

Graham Gooch took 5 wickets in the match in 3rd test IRL, which was a draw. No wonder he was needed!

Somehow we won the 4th test. How????
01ASWK0B

Users who are viewing this thread