England in the 90s

Mushtaq Ahmed is horrible to face.

More than any other spinner I’ve faced, his speed variation is brutal. He bowls one ball 51mph and the next 65...

Look at the difference between balls even with the same trajectory in when they reach the batsman - just horrible

I don’t know what I’ve done in his set up to make this!!

Mushtaq Ahmed is horrible to face.

More than any other spinner I’ve faced, his speed variation is brutal. He bowls one ball 51mph and the next 65...

Look at the difference between balls even with the same trajectory in when they reach the batsman - just horrible

I don’t know what I’ve done in his set up to make this!!
what's his mentality?

Nevertheless, I’m still in the hunt.

At the close on day 4, I’m 98/3 from 60 overs. Yes, I’ve hit 1 boundary only in that. It’s seriously tough and attritional. Proper Test Cricket.

Given how slowly I’m scoring all results are possible day 5, but you’d assume if they don’t get me all out I can find a way to win at 2 an over or so... a huge IF though. Given Lewis is batting at 7, it’s a long tail I’ve got.

2-0 down after 3 matches. 4th test is in Headingley.

Out go Russell, Malcolm and Salisbury.

Stewart takes the gloves, back come Pringle and Ramprakash, Hick is dropped to bat 7, Mallender comes in for a debut.

An absolute shambles of a side who nevertheless won in real life.

I’ll be staggered if I do.

I dreamed of my Headingley 19... I’d have settled for my Johannesburg 95.

As it was I didn’t even really get close enough to claim my own Edgbaston 05.

Nevertheless it was a heartbreak.

That must have been heart breaking and gutting !! You gave it a really good go, and the last pair seemed to be motoring towards it! Just shows the lethal and world class Pakistan bowling attack they had. Well played, very very close.

Just wanted to say at the end that this has been a fabulous thread and a fantastic way of showing how we can play the game in unique and interesting ways. You’re reports, videos, snippets and summaries have been great to read and follow and hopefully one day you can bring home the series win!

That must have been heart breaking and gutting !! You gave it a really good go, and the last pair seemed to be motoring towards it! Just shows the lethal and world class Pakistan bowling attack they had. Well played, very very close.

Just wanted to say at the end that this has been a fabulous thread and a fantastic way of showing how we can play the game in unique and interesting ways. You’re reports, videos, snippets and summaries have been great to read and follow and hopefully one day you can bring home the series win!

Thanks, I’m really pleased you’re enjoying it - despite exposing how crap I am I’ve really enjoyed the project so far. Been great fun and rediscovering stuff I’ve forgotten about the era has been awesome - though some of the players were perhaps best forgotten.

The Hick, Russell and Gower dismissal were key in this inns - all playing attacking shots when they’d already scored runs the ball or couple of balls before: didn’t need to risk it.

Was absolutely gutted.[DOUBLEPOST=1609198196][/DOUBLEPOST]
Looking at your videos. You seem to miss and get bowled a lot more than I do? Wonder if it's sliders related or something else...:spy

Is me being awful an explanation?

Just got out playing defensively to the spinner as it turned more and edged to the keeper. Not one I’ve seen before but such an authentic dismissal it looked great - will share vid. I mean it absolutely sucked because I was building a decent partnership at the time, but it looked brilliant.

I’ve actually started this match on a grassy day 3 wicket... be interesting to see if it gets worse or flattens out.

Certainly less grass from the get go than a grassy day one pitch. All the right stuff is there visually, let’s see how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread