General - Windows Vista vs Windows XP

Windows Vista or Windows XP? You decide!

• Total voters
Haven't seen Vista yet but I will be able to get it whenever I want due to the marvel that is Academic licensing. :) So XP for me. Will probably have to get some more RAM, though.

I had vista for some times,but i would like to stay wid xp.Bo doubt that vista has stunning visual effects,that it otherwise it looks an updated version of xp.Vista needs lots of system memory and makes your PC slower than ever.Xp is user friendly rather vista is more complex.It also can't support some drivers.So dont think abt vista,stay with xp.:onpc

I like vista.
Alot more smoother. And even though i have no firewall (for about 3 months now) no viruses!
I've had sooo many on thsi cruddy desktop.

I like vista.
Alot more smoother. And even though i have no firewall (for about 3 months now) no viruses!
I've had sooo many on thsi cruddy desktop.

uhh... I think this depends upon your Antivirus software's detection strength. :siren

Managing to get Vista Business for free from Uni :p
I was very surprised to see my laptop running it pretty well, infact it's just like on XP with the added Vista features apart from the Aero effect which sucks a bit but at least the rest of Vista works.

Security wise no application can be opened without you validating it. That's the main difference I've seen so far.

One of our courses just gave us a brand new Lenovo tablet PC for the semester with Vista Business pre-installed. It's able to handle it perfectly (with two gigs of RAM and a 1.6 GHz dual core processor) and it is much slicker than XP. I haven't run into any driver problems (given that it's OEM) and so far things look pretty fresh and nice.

Managing to get Vista Business for free from Uni :p
I was very surprised to see my laptop running it pretty well, infact it's just like on XP with the added Vista features apart from the Aero effect which sucks a bit but at least the rest of Vista works.

Security wise no application can be opened without you validating it. That's the main difference I've seen so far.

Ya, but it does get irritating sometimes, that's why i've turned it off...

1 thing i hate about vista is that i am unable to configure my website to work with IIS 7 :crying.

Never buy a latest Windows it has a hell lot of compatibility issues.

Ya, but it does get irritating sometimes, that's why i've turned it off...

1 thing i hate about vista is that i am unable to configure my website to work with IIS 7 :crying.

Oh cool how do you go about doing that? The option I want most is to turn of the multiple pop up questions when you delete something.

Yes, so do I!!! Bloody annoying and I dont see a reason why I should keep it!

You need to turn off UAC for that. It can be done from User Accounts in the Control Panel.

Oh cool how do you go about doing that? The option I want most is to turn of the multiple pop up questions when you delete something.

Not sure if it can disable only that.. it will remove ALL the security prompts as far as i understand.

To disable UAC follow what Abhinav said...

You need to turn off UAC for that. It can be done from User Accounts in the Control Panel.

I had vista for some times,but i would like to stay wid xp.Bo doubt that vista has stunning visual effects,that it otherwise it looks an updated version of xp.Vista needs lots of system memory and makes your PC slower than ever.Xp is user friendly rather vista is more complex.It also can't support some drivers.So dont think abt vista,stay with xp.:onpc
Pardon me but thats completely wrong. As i said before its the same scenario with Windows XP vs. Vista like it was Windows 98 vs. Windows Xp some years before. Exactly the same reasons. Even though I agree vista is not the best product now, but you cant say that vista makes your pc slower, Your pc is slower and so vista runs like that. It can run happily on any machine with 512 Mb of ram and a dual core processor. I've been able to run it really well at a machine with a 2.8GHZ celeron and 512 mb of ram. Some time from now and people wouldnt even look at xp, just like 98's out of everywhere.

well said :clap :clap

Even i am running Vista on my laptop with 512 mb RAM (Shared with video, so effectively, about 450 mb). I've got a 1.6 ghz dual core processor (not core 2 duo though :( ) It runs really smoothly, but i am forced to keep my aero off due to the lack of a good graphics card, and little memory...

if i manage to find a screwdriver which can open my laptop, i'll add another 128 mb RAM which is lying in my cupboard :p

Users who are viewing this thread