Group B - ARGENTINA, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece

Argentina 1-0 Nigeria

It was just a matter of who could play less worse (at least defensively for Argentina. Also don't forget they didnt really have any pressure on the ball)... Nigeria were rubbish!

Nigeria have a good keeper. He made some really great saves. It could have been easily 5-0 for Argentina.

It has been A World Cup of Wasted Chances thus far. Hope England don't set this trend forth!

dutchad added 0 Minutes and 31 Seconds later...

Nigeria have a good keeper. He made some really great saves. It could have been easily 5-0 for Argentina.

Yeah, he was man of the match for me.

Messi looked good for Argentina but Gutierrez is not a defender. Leaving out Cambiasso could be a big mistake. Even Zanetti could have played in the back four. I think they'll have enough fire power to win all 3 games even with a shoddy defence, though.

Yeah Gutierrez got beaten so easily really early on. The attacker barely had to do anything to get past him.

Enyeama is quite underrated. Was highly rated a few years ago, and currently plays for Tel Aviv in Israel. Arsenal were interested in him a couple years ago iirc, but were not happy with the fee his club wanted for him. Good to see him have a good game.

Lol at Jonas at right back. Worst decision ever.

Great stuff from South Korea though! Ji Sung Park was awesome. They drifted away at the end though - looked tired, more than lack of concentration or anything else, but they had done enough to win the game by then.

I don't understand why Nigeria played 4-4-2 with 2 banks of four when defending. This just allowed the Argentina players, especially Messi, to just play between the spaces.

The back four for Argentina looked susceptible as well. Jonas lacks anticipation and geniune technique and with him going forward there was a chance to exploit. Also the centre backs are slow and Demichelis likes to go straight to the ball as a "stopper" sort of player. Nigeria could've exploited this by using a fast striker and someone with his back to the goal who holds up the ball. Demichelis would be drawn out of position by the "target man" and then could play it through the gap for the fast striker to run on to who would most probably outpace Samuel. So yeah, there was an opportunity for Nigeria but they seemed to waste it. Martins was brought on quite late so had little impact, but forced Romaro to make his only real save, and the left winger (forgotten his name) came on and exploited Jonas but lacked a good cross.

Good win for the South Koreans. I think the main entertainment will come from the last 4 groups especially Group G. ;)

What a goal by Heinze, simply brilliant and Messi was wonderful as well but very unlucky. That save by the Nigerian GK off the Messi shot was great too.

Masterclass win by Argentie.
I'm becoming a fan of Heinze, he is so fast and active at this age and also loved his header.:hpraise

I was a bit disappointed with Higuain today.

I was surprised he started ahead of Milito.

War added 1 Minutes and 23 Seconds later...

Does anyone know for sure what formation Argentina adopted in the opening game?.

Was it 3-4-1-2 or 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2?

Last edited:
I'm hoping Aguero will get some playtime. He might be needed in upcoming matches if someone gets injured.

Next match is Argentina vs South Korea. Winner of that match will go through. If that's Argentina it's smart to give Messi, and some other front players like Tevez and Higuain, some rest. Milito and Aguero can form the strike then.

Mascherano was clearly deeper than the other midfielders and Veron played in the middle linking up play. Di Maria hugged the touchline offering width to Argentina. Messi had a free role, Tevez was probably on the right than central but there was a lot of movement. Higuan drifted around a lot too which is what the commentator meant when he said that the Nigeria centre backs became redundant - because at times they had no one to mark. A formation is just numbers on a sheet and don't reflect how Argentina moved and played but if I had to say one I'd say a 4-1-2-2-1 - with Mascherano deepest, Veron and Di Maria the first two, Messi central and Tevez wide, and Higuan up front. Or more simply 4-2-3-1 with Veron being the linker and getting more advanced.

Users who are viewing this thread