Group B - ARGENTINA, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece

Mascherano was clearly deeper than the other midfielders and Veron played in the middle linking up play. Di Maria hugged the touchline offering width to Argentina. Messi had a free role, Tevez was probably on the right than central but there was a lot of movement. Higuan drifted around a lot too which is what the commentator meant when he said that the Nigeria centre backs became redundant - because at times they had no one to mark. A formation is just numbers on a sheet and don't reflect how Argentina moved and played but if I had to say one I'd say a 4-1-2-2-1 - with Mascherano deepest, Veron and Di Maria the first two, Messi central and Tevez wide, and Higuan up front. Or more simply 4-2-3-1 with Veron being the linker and getting more advanced.

Word. Sort of felt it was 4-2-3-1 to be fair.

But very odd to see Jonas palying right-back though. Makes you wonder why Maradona didn't pick Zanetti.

The second round matches of this group are today. If the winner between Argentina vs South Korea wins he is basically through to the second round.

Last edited:
The second round matches of this group are today. If the winner between Argentina vs South Africa wins he is basically through to the second round.

The winner will win. No doubt about that :p

Argentina vs South Africa? You mean Korea? Greece Vs Nigeria will decide which team is knocked out first.

Now that goal makes it very interesing. Argentina have been excellent going forward but once again their weakness at the back has been exploited. Another mistake and I can see Korea bagging themselves another goal. They are very good at taking their chances.

They've been unlucky with the goals as well, with an unfortunate OG and then a header that should really have been saved. Second half should be a cracker.

Damn Korea scores! I hope Messi gets one later and makes it 3-1 at the end of full time.

Well that was totally un-necessary by Keita. May cost his side victory and will hopefully open the game up a bit.

4-1 in the end, really well played by Higuain. Koreans got crushed. I really wonder why Messi has been missing so many chances :noway

Great match of Argentina vs South Korea. Aguero really must start in the starting line up.

In the match of Nigeria vs Greece the greek player really provoked the Nigerian player. He actually got him to get a red card. It wasn't needed. After that, the match changed and Greece scored their first goals ever in the World Cup and won their first World Cup match ever with 2-1.

Great match of Argentina vs South Korea. Aguero really must start in the starting line up.

In the match of Nigeria vs Greece the greek player really provoked the Nigerian player. He actually got him to get a red card. It wasn't needed. After that, the match changed and Greece scored their first goals ever in the World Cup and won their first World Cup match ever with 2-1.

C'mon, he didn't really ask him for him to kick him did he? It was just a stupid moment. The rules are clear; strike out at a player, provoked or not you are off. It will be a mistake he has to live with for the rest of his life.

I am not even sure if he kicked him. And by that I mean physically touch him. But he made the movement of a kick.

There is a possibility that three teams might end with three points in this group. If that happens, the goal difference will come into effect. It's good that Nigeria kept at least the difference to 1-2.

I am not even sure if he kicked him. And by that I mean physically touch him. But he made the movement of a kick.

There is a possibility that three teams might end with three points in this group. If that happens, the goal difference will come into effect. It's good that Nigeria kept at least the difference to 1-2.

It is always such a shame when a decision like this effects a game so strongly but it is also the wonderful unpredictability of the game that makes this kind of tournament irresistible.

It was a definite red, but the Greek player made it look like someone had shot him. That's twice in two days we have seen a player make things look worse to ensure the red card is given. I'm really getting fed up of it.

It was a definite red, but the Greek player made it look like someone had shot him. That's twice in two days we have seen a player make things look worse to ensure the red card is given. I'm really getting fed up of it.

It is very very annoying! I find myself screaming at the TV when it happens! I hate it when those poncy pansies start holding there fingers up, reminding the ref how many fouls he has already made, or asking the ref to give him a card. I thought they were going to really come down hard on it!

Lol! The Argentina fans here we have here in India have gone ecstatic after today's win. Love the passion we have for football here. :p It's sad and ironic at the same time that a country having so many people following soccer could never do anything memorable in the international arena. We could make it to the Fifa WC only once in 1950 immediately after our nation's independence, but FIFA disallowed us from participating as our players were so poor back then that they didn't have the money to buy proper boots and would play barefooted. (!)

Last edited:
but FIFA disallowed us from participating as our players were so poor back then that they didn't have the money to buy proper boots and would play barefooted. (!)

ANd they never got a chance again, once they got boots. :p I think they should start playing bare footed again ;)

Users who are viewing this thread