Group C - ENGLAND, United States, Algeria, Slovenia

Just as the referee whistled the end of the match of Slovenia vs England I switched to another channel and I just saw the goal being scored in the match of USA vs Algeria.

It was a pretty exciting finish. I didn't like it how England end the match by keeping the ball into the corner for several minutes. But they were probably desperate to hold on to the win. Some other countries would probably have done the same.

Anyway, because of the USA win, USA is 1st and England is 2nd.

Terry was brilliant this afternoon: real do or die stuff. Ah so glad we are through!!!

Just as the referee whistled the end of the match of Slovenia vs England I switched to another channel and I just saw the goal being scored in the match of USA vs Algeria.

It was a pretty exciting finish. I didn't like it how England end the match by keeping the ball into the corner for several minutes. But they were probably desperate to hold on to the win. Some other countries would probably have done the same.

Anyway, because of the USA win, USA is 1st and England is 2nd.

It was a masterclass in how to close the game down - every team on the planet would do the same thing when the scoreline is so close and so much is on the line.

Hahaha, the Scots were so angry at that result they started throwing pint glasses at the English group which I was in and we had to leave rather sharpish after we started singing Rule Brittania. Was drinking with a bunch of business men from Leicester who were due in a meeting at 3:30 and snuck away to watch the football :laugh They bought me 4 pints so anyone from Leicester rules!!!!

Fantastic result from the lads great performance allround :happy

If was to be a bit of a turd in our hour of glory I would say that we might rue missing so many chances. One more goal would have seen us top the group and have a "kinder" draw. On the other hand, if you want to be World Champion you have got to beat the big boys as well.....

Hahaha, the Scots were so angry at that result they started throwing pint glasses at the English group which I was in and we had to leave rather sharpish after we started singing Rule Brittania. Was drinking with a bunch of business men from Leicester who were due in a meeting at 3:30 and snuck away to watch the football :laugh They bought me 4 pints so anyone from Leicester rules!!!!

Fantastic result from the lads great performance allround :happy

They just know that we're so much better than them - and at our best we're so far ahead of them that it isn't even worth thinking about. Bloody idiots though - pint glasses you say? If anyone had copped one of them, it could've been a very bad end to the day.

If was to be a bit of a turd in our hour of glory I would say that we might rue missing so many chances. One more goal would have seen us top the group and have a "kinder" draw. On the other hand, if you want to be World Champion you have got to beat the big boys as well.....

True enough - and remember that Rooney was nowhere near his best either. Just goes to show that England are no one man team. James was very solid as well, and then Joe Cole came on to close the game down for us. :)

If Germany somehow slip up tonight and go out, it would be the perfect end to a lovely day. If we face them on Sunday, well let's just say that the hoodoo they had over us was broken with the 5-1 result, and they haven't beaten us now for quite a while. :)

Edit: As the lads said just now, we always seem to play better against the 'bigger' teams - I don't think that applies to Germany anymore - if both teams play well, we're fairly evenly matched.

Last edited:
They just know that we're so much better than them - and at our best we're so far ahead of them that it isn't even worth thinking about. Bloody idiots though - pint glasses you say? If anyone had copped one of them, it could've been a very bad end to the day.

True enough - and remember that Rooney was nowhere near his best either. Just goes to show that England are no one man team. James was very solid as well, and then Joe Cole came on to close the game down for us. :)

If Germany somehow slip up tonight and go out, it would be the perfect end to a lovely day. If we face them on Sunday, well let's just say that the hoodoo they had over us was broken with the 5-1 result, and they haven't beaten us now for quite a while. :)

Oh the Kleenex, where is the Kleenex!!!!!:p:laugh

dober postranski , Slovenija. (Good bye, Slovenia)
What a day! Just feels like I wrote the script for today. England wins, so is USA and Slovenia got what they deserved.
England could have easily scored 3 or 4 goals. It is still bit a shaky when it comes to finishing touch. As long as you are capable to defend your lead then it does not matter though. Terry was at his best so was Milner. Now you got to ask Capelo, why the hell did Lennon play ahead of Milner in right flank in last two matches?

I believe Milner was a little off-colour.

Hmm really?. I'd say he was one of the best players on the pitch today.

He played the kind of game Beckham would have played on the right-wing. He is not going to speed down the flank like what Walcott & Lennon have been doing over the past 2 years during the WCQ. Played the old fashion wingers game.

I like this formation & XI although i would still prefer Rooney up front on his own - Gerrard in the hole & Cole on the left. I think Capello has found a proper plan B here.

We should be expecting improvements for the R 16 clash. I hope King is fit (although i dont mind Carragher starting). Germany, Serbia or Ghana dont worry me one bit.

Hmm really?. I'd say he was one of the best players on the pitch today.

He played the kind of game Beckham would have played on the right-wing. He is not going to speed down the flank like what Walcott & Lennon have been doing over the past 2 years during the WCQ. Played the old fashion wingers game.

I like this formation & XI although i would still prefer Rooney up front on his own - Gerrard in the hole & Cole on the left. I think Capello has found a proper plan B here.

We should be expecting improvements for the R 16 clash. I hope King is fit (although i dont mind Carragher starting). Germany, Serbia or Ghana dont worry me one bit.

No - I meant he was off colour in the other games - he was ill. Today, he was immense and must play in the next game.

No - I meant he was off colour in the other games - he was ill. Today, he was immense and must play in the next game.

he was absolutely running on empty at the end though, really gave it everything. James played very solid and I like his commanding, aggressive manner as a goalkeeper. Upson had a good game after a bit of a nervous start. In the beginning he looked like he didnt know what his job was but he settled down. Great to see the passion of Capello bawling at the players. Love it!

Users who are viewing this thread