Group C - ENGLAND, United States, Algeria, Slovenia

That was the group stage. USA are into the round of 16 (start of the knock out stage). Winners of the round of 16 go to the Quarter finals. Winners of the QF go to the Semi Final and the winners there go to the Final. It will be decided in 2 hours who USA will play in the round of 16.

I think Germany vs England is a real possibility. I still think England are far cry from the team that demolished teams in the qualifiers. I still feel a lot of improvements can be still made. I am still not happy with their passing. To be beat Germany they need to be at the top of their game!

so they are in the 2nd stage? or was that the 2nd stage?
Lol, you're so out of the loop.

They're playing Ghana in the round of 16. If they win that they'll play the winner of South Korea/Uruguay in the QFs. If they win that they will play probably Brazil in the semis.

I think Germany vs England is a real possibility. I still think England are far cry from the team that demolished teams in the qualifiers. I still feel a lot of improvements can be still made. I am still not happy with their passing. To be beat Germany they need to be at the top of their game!

Did you even see the game? Our passing was superb - as good as anything Spain/Brazil or Argentina have shown. Our short passes were crisp and our long passing was very nice and incisive. Not one long ball was just aimlessly pumped up the pitch. Yes, England can improve, but we were damn good either way.

:happy USA! USA! USA! USA! :happy

We run this shiz.

Ummm... no. You were lucky that you scored that freak goal against us and even luckier that the real England didn't turn up. You won't last much longer.

Last edited:
Good results all around. I'm really glad England got through, and from what I saw they have improved quite allot from their last game. After Defoe scored I went to the pub and watched the USA vs Algeria game and it was amazing, the place went insane when Donovan scored.

Having said that though, the US missed a hell of a lot of chances. It could have been 4 or so neil but poor finishing denied them that.

I think the US is very capable of beating Ghana - providing they can finish the amount of chances they will generate, should be a good match, but Ghana looked really poor against Australia and still not amazing against Germany so I'd put money on the States.

The England vs Germany game should be a real beauty. It's a bit of a shame it has to happen in the round of 16, meaning a really quality team will be taken out so early on. Betting on this match will be very difficult, I honestly think it could go either way. I think to say Germany will win based off England's awful football in the group stages is very unfair on England. It's a knockout match in the World Cup, England could and probably will shine. I want England to win it, but it's definitely a must watch match that could swing either way depending on the day.

Ummm... no. You were lucky that you scored that freak goal against us and even luckier that the real England didn't turn up. You won't last much longer.

Haha, ease up. The USA have been more entertaining than England, give them some credit. And I don't see what is "lucky" about the USA goal against England. An awful error just reinforces the idea that Green was not prepared mentally for the game - it's not luck. The ball went straight at him and he missed it.

But yes, the USA certainly don't "run this shiz" as Cricketman is suggesting :facepalm , haha.

Last edited:
If we're talking about luck, USA has clearly been on the wrong side of it this tournament. They should have beaten Slovenia 3-2 and Algeria 2-0 (Dempsey's ruled out goal was apparently not an off-side after all) but for poor refereeing. If anything, the USA would have been unlucky to be eliminated early despite looking like one of the only teams in the group that could score goals.

England finally started playing well--one hopes they will peak at the right time. But to pretend that the USA luckily made it into the second round is inaccurate. They were not only seeded second in the group but played some really good football and deserve to be in the tournament.

No. You do realise you wouldn't of even gotten through if you didn't get that last minute pinball goal, right?

Had the third goal against Slovenia been not ruled out unfairly then they hardly needed that pin ball gall! If you overall look at this group then both the deserving sides have qualified for next round. Algeria is nowhere good for knock outs. Slovenian squad clearly had missing lot to play as a quality side except luck though. I would not say USA rules or they were going to qualify for super sixteen any way but it was the best possible result in context of this group.

vaibhav mehta added 5 Minutes and 15 Seconds later...

Did you even see the game? Our passing was superb - as good as anything Spain/Brazil or Argentina have shown. Our short passes were crisp and our long passing was very nice and incisive. Not one long ball was just aimlessly pumped up the pitch. Yes, England can improve, but we were damn good either way.

Yes and now they have very good chance in last sixteen. I feel England will get through semis. This is not unusual for England to make its fan suffer and then suddenly with a couple of quality games even final spot is possible. Drop Roony for at least one game to wake him up. :p

Had the third goal against Slovenia been not ruled out unfairly then they hardly needed that pin ball gall! If you overall look at this group then both the deserving sides have qualified for next round. Algeria is nowhere good for knock outs. Slovenian squad clearly had missing lot to play as a quality side except luck though.

True true. But they should of never found themselves 2-0 down to Slovenia. That's terrible.

True true. But they should of never found themselves 2-0 down to Slovenia. That's terrible.

And look at the positive side that it was never easy to recover after conceding 2 goals in quick session. USA deserved to win that game no matter how bad they played in the first half and it was really messed up performance in first half, I agree! However, they got themselves together in the second half and proved that they should be the winners. This is no different then when Liverpool came back from being 3 - 0 down in the first half of the 2004 Champions league final to win it. (Since you are Liverpool fan, I have to give Liverpool example here. :p) At that day you might have said that only Liverpool could have won after conceding 3 goals. :p

Yeah, but if Liverpool lost that game they would of only had themselves to blame for conceeding 3 first half goals ;)

Yes USA did well, and yes they were robbed, but they should be looking at their own performance in the first half and blaming themselves. They did do better last night so kudos to them.

Yes I did watch the match, I never said their passing was terrible. I said I am still not happy with their passing because they can be even better. They definitely have the quality in their players. They need to apply it more. The game with Slovenia is a start and truly hope they become even better. Like I said Germans are not going to be any push overs. England need to be better than good. They need to be phenomenal!

Had the third goal against Slovenia been not ruled out unfairly then they hardly needed that pin ball gall! If you overall look at this group then both the deserving sides have qualified for next round. Algeria is nowhere good for knock outs. Slovenian squad clearly had missing lot to play as a quality side except luck though. I would not say USA rules or they were going to qualify for super sixteen any way but it was the best possible result in context of this group.

vaibhav mehta added 5 Minutes and 15 Seconds later...

Yes and now they have very good chance in last sixteen. I feel England will get through semis. This is not unusual for England to make its fan suffer and then suddenly with a couple of quality games even final spot is possible. Drop Roony for at least one game to wake him up. :p

No, Rooney must play. He was very close to scoring a goal against Slovenia and even though he didn't he was a real pest to their defence throughout the game - he has also started running at people again.

Yes I did watch the match, I never said their passing was terrible. I said I am still not happy with their passing because they can be even better. They definitely have the quality in their players. They need to apply it more. The game with Slovenia is a start and truly hope they become even better. Like I said Germans are not going to be any push overs. England need to be better than good. They need to be phenomenal!

To beat Germany, we need to play like we did against Slovenia, but add some better finishing. Afterwards, that's when we need to step it up to 'phenomenal' :)

I don't think our passing could've been that much better - OK we gave the ball away a few times, but everyone does that - it's when you make a habit of it that you need to worry.

See the Ghana v Germany game? Ghana could and should've won that in my view - they had more than enough chances - as well as Lahm's handball on the line which should've resulted in a penalty and a red card. As it is, Boateng and Schweinsteiger have a good chance of missing Sunday's game - if Lahm was out as well, that would be a real blow to Germany's chances.

Above all, we need to keep Oezil quiet. If we can do that, then we have a terrific chance. I think we carry more threat than them, but we need another really good team performance. That's what was good about Slovenia - it was an all round good team performance.

Also, keep it coming Mr Beckenbauer - all you're going to do is succeed in firing up the England team even more. He clearly wasn't watching the Slovenia game if he thinks England look tired - they played with great energy, creativity and commitment on a very heavy pitch.

Users who are viewing this thread