Group C - ENGLAND, United States, Algeria, Slovenia

No Joe Cole. Rooney not played up front alone (as he did all season at Utd) and Gerrard still out wide. :facepalm

Dear God! What needs to happen for someone to see sense!? I hope he isn't just trying to prove himself right! Oh man, just 40 minutes to go!

How is it possible that players are put into radically different positions than they play in week in week out?? He better get this right otherwise he might find a horses head or two in his bed tomorrow morning!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats not what they've just said on MOTD.

They say we're going with a diamond Barry defensive mid, Milner on the right but still centre mid with Lampard on the left centre mid allowing Gerrard to be just behind Defoe and Rooney.

I hope what I've put is right as I really like the look of that system and it should suit them better.

They say we're going with a diamond Barry defensive mid, Milner on the right but still centre mid with Lampard on the left centre mid allowing Gerrard to be just behind Defoe and Rooney.

I hope what I've put is right as I really like the look of that system and it should suit them better.

I hope so. Gerrard needs to be playing from out of the middle. C'mon England, don't bugger this up!:p

Indeed - it appears SSN might have got it wrong for once, because that's where I saw it!

Did you see Brian Blessed just now on the BBC? I hope the England players saw that, because it got me all tingly - dunno about you.

What a fine actor he is!

That was alot better despite sticking with the 4-4-2.

Gerrard and Rooney have linked up very well and Milner and Johnson have been causing alot of problems on the right with some very good crossing.

Much better performance defensively from Johnson aswell after looking out of depth in the last few matches.

Finishing has been a little off (Gerrard weak right footed shot first half, Lampard left footed shot first half, Defoe flick second half, Rooney right outside the box second half, Rooney post second half) but they have looked so much better.

I hope thats because you thought it was inspirational :spy

Umm... absolutely. :) Also because I love Brian Blessed as an actor, especially when it comes to Shakespeare.

In other news, the England team have managed to escape from their captors, make their way to Port Elizabeth and have disposed of the eleven imposters with a Royal Rumble in the dressing room. :)

England have been great - completely outclassed Slovenia especially in the first half. Where Algeria was lazy, this is sharp - where Algeria was lacklustre, this has been snappy and full of cutting edge - where Algeria seemed to lack commitment, this performance has been full of it - typified by the 'you shall not pass' attitude of the defending when Slovenia did manage to get into the box.

Rooney looked lively, full of confidence - looks like Sir Alex's chat in his shell-like helped. Should've scored, but that was the only thing missing from his performance - let's just hope he hasn't picked up an injury.

Love to see a second goal though - we have deserved it. If it was 3 or 4-0 now, they couldn't complain.

Also - a proper football atmoshpere - finally! Vuvuzelas as well as chanting and singing plus England's magnificent band. This is what you call a football atmosphere, SA!

I'd just like to see us keep the ball more - like we were doing in the first half.

Edit: That was a masterclass in how to close a game down! Annoying that the US scored, but if we play like that, we can handle anyone - and we weren't quite at our best with finishing, but the passing was as good as we've seen at this World Cup. And Fabio - what passion he is showing for this team! Slovenia must be absolutely gutted - I feel a bit sorry for them - they were so close. We shouldn't really be surprised that it's come to this - England always make it tough for themselves.

So now, it's either Germany, Serbia, Ghana or unlikely - Australia.

Last edited:
As the lads in the studio are saying - we could've easily scored 5 or 6.

Pray stand for Mr Jermain Defoe! :banana2 :happy

Great performance.

Tonights game is going to be compelling aswell to see whether we get Germany, Ghana or Serbia.

If we can perform like this and score we could beat any of those teams on our day.

Oh man! Watching England is good for your diet...must have lost 5 kilo's this afternoon!!! Yay! Wasn't pretty but we were much, much better!:happy

Damn USA! They got so lucky >_<

Yes, well that's how it goes. They did get lucky. They also got lucky that they didn't play that England team - we would've destroyed them. Same goes for Algeria. But England always start slowly!

Great performance.

Tonights game is going to be compelling aswell to see whether we get Germany, Ghana or Serbia.

If we can perform like this and score we could beat any of those teams on our day.

Agreed.

Did you see Fabio afterwards? He was buzzing - he was like a young boy at Christmas time. Never saw that sort of emotion from Sven.

MasterBlaster76 added 1 Minutes and 41 Seconds later...

Oh man! Watching England is good for your diet...must have lost 5 kilo's this afternoon!!! Yay! Wasn't pretty but we were much, much better!:happy

It wasn't a boring game either - it was fun to watch (kinda - it can't be complete fun when the team's qualification is on the line, but you know what I mean).

As I said though, our passing was first rate - we've learned to control the new ball then: good. :) And our last ditch defending was amazing. Look at Terry putting his head in among the muck and bullets! Milner was immense now he's shaken off his illness and Upson did all you could ask of him including one goal saving - and World Cup saving - tackle.

Users who are viewing this thread