Group F - ITALY, Paraguay, New Zealand, Slovakia

I have chewed all my nails off, what a game, this is what the World Cup is made of. I'm actually hoarse from cheering Slovakia on. Can't believe it. Italy and France out before the last 16 and who is to say more big teams don't follow them????

Awesome game. Even happier that Italy is done. There's just something annoying about seeing every Italian play begin with a free kick after they have fallen down. They played so much better football when they weren't trying to fall over...

Spain the next team to go early?

I have to say though, Slovakia are the biggest bunch of divers in World football. Depending on who they play in the next round I don't want to see them win because they go down every 5 minutes because of a slight touch. There is no place for that in any football match.

What a great match it was Italy vs Slovakia. I expected some tension during these matches, but didn't imagine it would be like this.

The funny part is that the win of Slovakia wouldn't matter, if New Zealand would have scored one goal.

About New Zealand: they played really good this tournament.

No I meant there is the possibility of it happening if Italy lose.

treva added 11 Minutes and 58 Seconds later...

What a game! 3-1 Slovakia. And that offside was very tight, could have been different had that stood. One of the best games so far. Sensational. I love football :D

Best sport in the world, eh? Bar none!

What a finish! Stunning. Goal of the World Cup for me. 3-2 :p

Agreed - it was a fantastic goal.

Spain the next team to go early?

I have to say though, Slovakia are the biggest bunch of divers in World football. Depending on who they play in the next round I don't want to see them win because they go down every 5 minutes because of a slight touch. There is no place for that in any football match.

Spain should not underestimate Chile - it would be hilarious if Spain went out at the group stage after all the hoo-haah about them.

What a great match it was Italy vs Slovakia. I expected some tension during these matches, but didn't imagine it would be like this.

The funny part is that the win of Slovakia wouldn't matter, if New Zealand would have scored one goal.

About New Zealand: they played really good this tournament.

Yes - well done to New Zealand - the surprise of the tournament.

So, The Azzuri gone after the first round! There goes my Plan B if England go out then. :facepalm

Well Chile have been my favourite side of this World Cup, so I'll be 100% backing them to beat Spain, and I think they have an excellent chance to do so. Will be a good attacking game.

My plan B was Germany (Plan A being England), Steve. Look how that worked out for me :facepalm. My new plan B is Uruguay although I want to see the Liverpool players doing well.

Overall Italy were disappointing today. Ofcourse upsets are great but kinda sucks when the defending champions are out early.

Ofcourse Spain have to be careful of Chile, but unlike the Swiss and Honduras, I expect the South Americans to attack, something which might work to Spain's advantage.

What a crazy end to the Slovakia vs Italy game! The way Italy conceded Slovakia's 3rd was shocking and I have to say the Italian's 2nd goal was nicely done.

Well Chile have been my favourite side of this World Cup, so I'll be 100% backing them to beat Spain, and I think they have an excellent chance to do so. Will be a good attacking game.

I would love it if Spain went out after the group stage.

My plan B was Germany (Plan A being England), Steve. Look how that worked out for me :facepalm. My new plan B is Uruguay although I want to see the Liverpool players doing well.

Alarm bells!!!! How can you possibly have Germany as your back up team? No one who supports England would ever support Germany, unless it was in a situation where we needed them to win...

I would love it if Spain went out after the group stage.

Alarm bells!!!! How can you possibly have Germany as your back up team? No one who supports England would ever support Germany, unless it was in a situation where we needed them to win...

I'm not English ;). If they are playing each other, I support England. In cricket, Pakistan is my Plan B. I just have a lot of respect for the German team. They generally come into tournaments as a massively underrated side and yet always manage to do fairly well.

Even then I'd have my reservations.

Yes - it would just feel 'wrong', wouldn't it? :laugh

Edit: @Shravi - Italy were my plan B because I'm half Italian. :)

Thing is, this is happening with World Cup holders a lot: it happened with France the tournament after they won it and now it happened with Italy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread