Group C - ENGLAND, United States, Algeria, Slovenia

Yeah, so it's looking likely that England will be playing one of Australia, Serbia or Ghana. Not an easy draw for them, but it's going to make it extremely tough for Australia if they actually make it to the second round.

Might put the tournament lay out into the general chat threads and we can make full match to match predictions or something.

I would LOVE it if Slovenia or Algeria qualified at the expense of the yanks.

Algeria have the bigger chance and it would be nice to see an Arab speaking country reach the knockout stages, for once.

Yeah, actually Algeria aren't a bad shot. I take back what I said about them being fairly poor, they actually qualified ahead of Egypt and beat Ivory Coast in the African Cup of Nations semi-final if I remember correctly, so they actually have more of a chance than I originally thought of making it to the second round.

Mon Algeria!

Lets not completely underestimate Algeria here. I agree US might have a good shot at progressing. But we could also see a situation, where we have England and Algeria progressing!

Everyone ignored my comments
:crying

Are Algeria and Slovenia any good? Does the US have a real chance of going to the next level?

I would say so, this is possibly the easiest group in the World Cup. Algeria and Slovenia are pretty poor so USA definitely have a huge chance of going through to the next round.

England must be delighted.

We certainly are - although it is very dangerous to underestimate any International team - if we play our game and stay focused, we should walk this group. As for the USA, they're bound to go through - in second place, I can't see them winning the group. I'd imagine that it's odds on for England and the USA to go through - and I think we get Germany in the next round - which would be a lot easier now that Ballack is out.

Edit: No - we'd be more likely to play Australia if we win the group - although I wouldn't rule out Serbia from that group. Finishing second probably gets us Germany; anyway, we owe the Aussies one for that 3-0 nonsense at Upton Park a few years back - different England team now!

Last edited:
I think the US has every chance of qualifying from this group. But it is going to be tight. Both Slovenie and Algeria can be stubborn. Can't see England not winning all three of their games in this group though. Would be brilliant to have World Champions in both cricket and Football at the same time!:)

Should England face Serbia in the Last 16, then it will be interesting to see Rooney and Vidic going head to head. :laugh

If the players can put all the hype that the press creates to the back of there minds and just get on with the job on the pitch we have a real chance of doing something special, in the past the players start getting way ahead of themselves even before a ball has been kicked they think they just have to turn up and we'll push over everyone, with capello this will not be allowed to happen im sure of that.
However if spain play to there potential then i think everyone else is playing for second spot unfortunately, they are ridiculously good....

EDIT:
Anything i said above about us doing something special i have changed my mind after last nights friendly against mexico.
Were ████ and wont win fearsome tweak all.......

Last edited:
Ha i love it walcott has been left out, the one trick pony is so overated anyway, he cant get round players with any of his own trickery like lennon or joe cole he just knocks the ball past defenders and out sprints them, the others exclusions are no shock anyway and lets be honest even if they made the squad none of them would play a second in the world cup unless there was a major injury crisis.
The first 11 and subs are all obvious anyway nothing in the last month has changed cappelo's mind at all and i make all his calls spot on so far, i feel for him a bit it dont matter what he does this team is not good enough to win a tournament end of story.

I'm glad that Joe Cole is in final 23 squad and I agree with what you said there Lee. Walcott has lots of pace but the end product is not there. Even Wright Phillips got the nod ahead of him. And I guess a certain Mr French Purist did not do his job well enough to further improve Walcott as a player. ;)

Alot of talk has been made of johnson from man city who to be fair did look good as our secret weapon who in the end didnt make it, but to me joe cole is our secret weapon now, he seems fully fit and back into a bit of form and alot of people thought he might not be picked in the squad even.
So hopefully he can if given the oppurtunity show what he can do because i dont think he's a spent force yet.

Walcott defiantely has end product when he is playing well. As Capello said, since injury he has regressed a bit. He will be back though.

SWP totallly shouldn't be their. I love Fabio but i cant defend or see with him on that selection. Ashley Young is the best replacement for the out of form Walcott.

Young has looked lost whenever he's played for us, just not international standard.

At least Johnson would have given us the option of a left footer but I don't blame Capello for going for the safe option of experience.

Johnson is talented, but yeah, probably wouldn't have got any minutes if he was picked anyways.

Rio's out of the World Cup. Hasn't been in the greatest form anyway, King should come in, and hopefully, it's Michael Dawson who gets called up. He's been the best English defender, especially late season, and he should've been in the team in the first place, but at least have him in the squad, it's the least he deserves for his performances this season.

Edit: Ah, just read that Dawson was called up. Good stuff.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread